Community project

Comments

• Kahveh, want to do particlesimulations?

Yes! I would love to do anything particle related! Yes! Yes! Yes! :D 
  • Masqutti
    Masqutti Posts: 340
    Kahveh for the particle artist! :) *confirmed*
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,193 Expert
    edited July 2013
    Sorry it took so long, I took a short nap that turned into a 5 hour sleep, I'm just waiting on Camtasia to finish rendering.
    Edit. 
    Okay, it's uploading to YouTube right now and it should be another 20 minutes.
    I have to leave for a friends birthday party but here's a link to the video. Hope it makes sense. Let me know what you guys think.  :) 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwJ7a9BERBw&feature=youtu.be
  • Masqutti
    People attending:
    Modeler - Spydurhank
    Animator - RedHat

Particle artist - Kahveh Robinett

Scenery artist - 

Compositor - Masqutti

Colorist - Cantblendthis

Editor - Michael James

SoundFX - 

Music / Ambience - Har
    Scenery artist seems to be a spot where at least Spydurhank has already done something Vue related? I didn't yet recieve confirmation from Kyre Peters about sounds and music.
    Har, you're not stepping any toes here if you want to do ambiences. ;)
    There's an open spot for compositor. It will include pretty much work, so I think I will help with that. At the moment I have so little time, next week can make all the difference, so I might need some help with that!

• Masqutti
    Sorry it took so long, I took a short nap that turned into a 5 hour sleep, I'm just waiting on Camtasia to finish rendering.
    Edit. 
    Okay, it's uploading to YouTube right now and it should be another 20 minutes.
    I have to leave for a friends birthday party but here's a link to the video. Hope it makes sense. Let me know what you guys think.  :) 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwJ7a9BERBw&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the video! Amazing you actually figured a formula how to calculate the hitfilm zoom value. :) I had no idea what was that about before. Unfortunately that's not the only error we have with it, so I'll have to test things out in blender to reproduce the bug and if it's avoidable. Otherwise, we cannot use blender as an animator for this project. :) For now, we'll be using hitfilm for the animations until declared otherwise..

• spydurhank
    Okay, no worries. What bug are you running into btw?
  • Masqutti
    I've been trying to explain... :D It's somewhat difficult to explain. We could arrange a skype or something to get a better idea about the issue. I'm not a native english speaker so I might no have the exact terms how to explain it...
  • spydurhank
    You could record a screen capture of the problem...
  • spydurhank
    Nevermind, I see the problem, you're footage is at 23.976 fps. When the footage goes from one second to the next, the first 3 frames seem to be rendering vector blur which is the poor mans motion blur. Can you upload th Blend file and let me know what version of Blender you're using? 
  • spydurhank
    Here's an update on the Moon, need a bit more work on the textures and bump map.
    e7kk.jpg

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
  • Masqutti
    Nice animation and smooth camera! Great touch on those "light panels" on the huge ship!
    I will do the storyboard today even if it takes long hours of the night.
  • Masqutti
    a Bit of an update. 

How do you guys feel about this:
    Blender camera export can be used if we dont use motion blur inside hitfilm. 
    It allows us to use blender and many other 3D-software to great extent but we lose hitfilm's own motion blur fully!
    Which one's more important to you; hitfilm motion blur or a scalable workflow for many different 3D software?
  • spydurhank
    Just pm'd you, I just tried an import of a camera and empty into HF2U, the motion blur works fine for me, I'll do a screen capture in a little while.
  • Masqutti
    It works most of the time, but there are situations when it messes things up. just 1 frame cliches...
  • spydurhank
    That is weird. Try this, after importing a Blender camera and empties...
    Make sure your frames per second are the same as when you exported out of Blender.
    Then, open the transform properties of the imported 3D point or points. It should have a bunch of keyframes...
    Delete every keyframe except for the first and last keyframes. 
    The most important part is making sure that the frames per second match.
  • MarkOm
    MarkOm Posts: 63
    Sorry just gonna hijack this thread for a sec, 
    @spydurhank - Do you know how to export curve paths from blender and import them into HFU2?
    Just a update on the vid above, this is where I am at. The render times for this in Blender are hitting over 6 hours now
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lCIXL1LDkg
  • MichaelJames
    edited July 2013
    So I just released my short film... so now my time will be split between school/the guide/and the community project.

@ mark what did you do for the space background? does not appear to be a typical starfield.
  • MarkOm
    MarkOm Posts: 63
    @MichaelJames so that is a image that I made and UV unwrapped it to a sphere. The actual image has a log of blue in it but I just change the color in post. 
  • spydurhank
    MarkOm... yeah I can export curve paths from Blender... sort of. I just figured it out. I'll do a screen capture in a few minutes to show you guys how to do it. Cool? 
  • Masqutti
    Note to self: Don't underestimate the work needed for storyboard. :)
    It's under construction. Will be finished but evidently a bit delayed. We will be well ahead of 2 weeks of pre-production still!
  • Masqutti
    edited July 2013
    I proudly present:
    A storyboard of Project Sip!!!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hee3v1n7o2zdd07/sip%20the%20storyboard.pdf
    Feel free to comment! There's a lot of room for artistic choices for everyone. It's only a "framing" how to do things and every aspect is debatable, except the script is pretty locked on for now. If there are awesome ideas regarding the script, it's possible to change it yet.
    Now, We can actually get to work with this! :)
    Note: The pictures are pretty small in that PDF, but if you zoom in, there's more detail!
  • Masqutti
    edited July 2013

Now people. Have you got your dropbox accounts up and running?
    If you don't, please, create an account and download & install the software. It creates a handy dropbox-virtual / cloud folder for you that updates itself automatically, so it's really easy to use with this kind of projects.

If you already have dropbox account, please, PM your e-mail address associated with your dropbox-account, and I'll invite you to the project folder.
    Also, you should press "follow this topic" to get automated email notifications whenever a reply is made here to be updated!

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    There's some excellent starting points for shots in there.
  • Masqutti
    Thanks Simon! I tried to make them as cinematic as possible, yet delivering the dramatic setup. ^^
  • spydurhank
    Nice, good work man.  :) 
  • MichaelJames
    Very nice work.  We can begin doing some rough animating right now with stand in models. Might I suggest that the durations be considered estimations?  I know its silly to say but just to make sure people know there is wiggle room when the shots start getting crafted.  As the Editor its better to let a shot play out longer so there is more to work with.  Cut aways... close ups and alternate shots are really useful. 
  • Hello everyone! I love this idea, and is love too help! I can help with anything. I'm currently on vacation in Colorado, and don't get back until August 6th, but I could get you guys some cool scenery shots here in the mountains!
  • Masqutti
    Very nice work.  We can begin doing some rough animating right now with stand in models. Might I suggest that the durations be considered estimations?  I know its silly to say but just to make sure people know there is wiggle room when the shots start getting crafted.  As the Editor its better to let a shot play out longer so there is more to work with.  Cut aways... close ups and alternate shots are really useful. 

Yes! I ment them to be estsimations but saved the trouble of mentioning it.. :D
    So there's really at least 2-3 seconds per shot room to wiggle. :) We can make those shots abit longer.
    Also, animator will see if a shot is clearly too short or too long, or if it needs alternate shots.

• Masqutti
    edited July 2013
    Hello everyone! I love this idea, and is love too help! I can help with anything. I'm currently on vacation in Colorado, and don't get back until August 6th, but I could get you guys some cool scenery shots here in the mountains!

If it's not a big trouble, please, take some great sceneryshots!! :) Still images are great, we can do a cameramapping with them eventually.
    But note: 
    I'm not yet certain if we'll need them tho in this project. The script includes scenes on the surface of destroyed earth, BUT we may not have the time to do that scene! :(
    It depends how well this project kicks off. :)

Hey, could you do panoramic shots? Even regular still images are ok, if you have an tripod, just circle it around and take the shots, I'm sure we can stitch them together afterwards! That would be great also, to have something like 180 degrees of camera panning-possibility! :)