Blurry 60fps export

TocNoc
TocNoc Website User Posts: 4

Hi, Im new to Hitfilm 4 but already used other video editing softwares.

As a starting project Im trying to export a video as MP4 1080p 60fps.  But the  problem is that when I export the result is blurry... 60 fps but blurry.

Here's the result:

My export settings are.

1920x1080
59.something  FPS
Square pixel 1.0
Profile Main
Level 5 (needed to set that so I could use 60 fps, can you explain that?)
Variable bitrate,1 pass
Target bitrate 15
Max bitrate 20
Audio 320

Comments

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,422 Enthusiast

Trying turning the bitrate up, about double what you have would be a starting point, although you start to get diminishing returns as you get higher.

And you might as well have Target and Max at the same value.

Best of luck, :)

• TocNoc

I will try it.

Quick question, In the project settings does the anti aliasing inflicts on the export result?

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,043 Enthusiast

Is the render from Hitfilm blurry or is the Youtube result burry. Also, how did you upload to Youtube. Directly from Hitfilm or did you render first to a file and upload and if so, what bitrate did you render to.

Youtube is a very low bitrate delivery and it is not uncommon first person for game footage to have problems. The low bitrate Youtube encode expects to get good compression and in many sections of game footage this falls apart and quality get flushed.

Problems areas of footage are sequences of very fast movement. Either running forward or lots of fast side to side jerky movement. Also you might get a better result at 30p. You generally get more bitrate per frame at 30p than you do at 60p and it is that bitrate per frame that is needed to get a better result in sequences that do not compress very well. It is worth a test.

The real bottom line is, does the file you are uploading look good? If yes, and the Youtube does not then you have simply run into the limitations of Youtube. You can always help yourself by editing around the problem areas I mentioned.

• TocNoc

I tried what Palacono said and after a few thoughts I tried to whatch the original recording and I think that it's kinda blurry too. It's a shame but maybe the problem was when I recorded. 

But I get what Norman said about exporting on 30p. The thing is that the original files are in 60p and today in my opinion all gameplay should be in 60p, it's so much smoother!

And the file that I uploaded was directly to YouTube. But I tried to export to my PC in many different formats.

Here's what I will do:

1) Try to record another footage with a better setting

2) Export in 60p

3) Upload both the original and the exported to youtube so you can check it, ok?

Any other suggestions/requests?

• Palacono
    edited May 2016

There are lots of visible compression artifacts, but I wouldn't call it 'blurry'. 

It's a little soft in places, and fairly blocky where there is a brown texture near to another brown texture with something brown in front of it, but there are plenty of sharp edges and the text is very clean and readable.

Check if your the original recording had the blocky artifacts, and if not, increase the bitrate in your output some more.  GoPro cameras records [email protected] and that's still not always good enough to avoid artifacts on fast-moving images with a lot of detail. Grass and treetops look like mush.

If they're there in the original footage, then see if you can increase the quality in the recording software.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out

It looks sharp enough for me, by YouTube standards anyways. I'm viewing it on a projector as well (80" screen, 7 feet away), and I don't see any obvious compression artifacts that make me want to stop watching, or not enjoy what I'm seeing, there's a lot worse out there. 

• Palacono

I agree, it isn't bad at all, but we're probably all guilty of being over critical of our own work, whereas the people we show it to don't notice a thing.  :D

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,043 Enthusiast

"but we're probably all guilty of being over critical of our own work, whereas the people we show it to don't notice a thing."

Word!

• NXVisualStudio
    NXVisualStudio Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 727 Ambassador

From 0 to 10 seconds the clip was degraded, after that the image was crisp clear , this is indeed YouTube's compression followed by auto quality scaling  to ones connection speed. :) 

• tack
    tack Website User Posts: 22

If you're using proxies, try disabling use of proxy for export.

I recently observed it was completely demolishing the quality for screencasts.   I was going to start a post sharing this:

https://helix.urandom.ca/public/hf-quality.png

But then I discovered the option to not use proxies for export and that fixed the most problematic degradation.

• TocNoc
    edited May 2016

Wow! Thank you very much for the support guys. 

I must agree with what Palacono said about being over critical of your own work. Sometimes this makes us not complete some works cause we think "nah.. It's but good enough." But I will finish this one.

And sorry for not posting yet what I said. I will try to do this as soon as possible and record from a different software too.  

And Tack... I've never knew about that. Thanks for the advice.

• Palacono
    edited May 2016

@tack. I'd be interested if the proxy made a difference - not checked - but I do know that exporting a PNG has Antialiasing applied to it, even if the viewer is in RGB mode at the time. It has even more applied if the viewer is in AA mode.

• tack
    tack Website User Posts: 22
    edited May 2016

@Palacono yes, I did forget to mention it in my last post, but I did also notice the video was antialiased even if there were no comps and the video size matched the project size.

I fixed the first degradation (the middle frame in my image) by switching to a "lower quality" AA mode (I was originally using 16x MSAA but dropped to 4x MSAA).  It still shows blurry in the HF viewer, but at least the exported video is clear.  (I have AA disabled in the viewer anyway, so it's perhaps not surprising that changing the project AA mode didn't affect it, but the viewer is doing something to damage quality.)

So the recipe to prevent HitFilm from brutalizing my video quality for screencasts is:

1. Disable "Use Proxies for Export" in options
    2. Use 4x MSAA mode
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2016

You should be concerned about how your work affects the viewer. If it's boring, it doesn't matter if it's 240p or 1080p, it's still boring.

• Palacono
    edited May 2016

@tack         "(I have AA disabled in the viewer anyway, so it's perhaps not surprising that changing the project AA mode didn't affect it, but the viewer is doing something to damage quality.)  "

I think Export frame from the viewer uses the same method as if you were exporting the entire video as a frame sequence in the normal way, so the AA method is applied and you can't go below 4x MSAA. There is no "completely off".

When AA is "on" in the viewer, I think it applies it twice. It's both a bug and an omission. There should be a "no AA" option available for Export and that Export setting should only be applied to the frame, not the additional pass used in the viewer first followed by the Export setting.

No idea what the heck is going on with Proxies. I did find they looked completely different in the Viewer window to an un-proxied view some time back with HF3P (and just to be complete, RAM preview looks completely different again ;) ), so they might be using some entirely other AA setting we have no access to. I haven't experimented with making a proxy with RGB and then again with AA set in the viewer to see what effect that has on them. Want to give it a go? ;)

There are many ways to export and several of them definitely produce different results. The question is: how many different results are possible?

- PNGs With or without proxies created, with or without AA set in the viewer?
    - As a sequence of frames (but only selecting one) in Export with varying levels of AA applied?

Potentially 4 + 1 (which '1' can have all the selectable levels of AA applied on Export)

Plus RAM preview. Does any of that ever get exported if it's available?

In short: a little bit random. :)

• Kadri
    Kadri Website User Posts: 168 Just Starting Out*

Just because of strange blurring problems i try to use Sony Vegas with Hitfilm effects added in it then using directly in Hitfilm. Can't say for sure if it helps (not done enough tests) but  because i haven't seen much users complain about it i thought it was a problem on my side (still on HitFilm 3). But just because of this problem i try to use Hitfilm less and lesser unfortunately. Haven't looked at the mentioned proxy tip above. Will try that too. Thanks for the tip.

• Kadri
    Kadri Website User Posts: 168 Just Starting Out*

This was the thread i made about my problem:

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/7029/blurry-export-problem#latest

There are two example links with normal and blurry version down in the post.

Not sure if this is related to the problem in this thread.