Scene transistions

I'm pretty new to hitfilm 4 (express) and I've been having great fun making short videos. Been getting ideas almost everyday for new content. An idea I have bouncing around in my head at the moment is for Mirror's edge. 

I want to know if you can do an effect where you smash open the door and it reveals a completely different area to the one you're in, like I only want what's behind the door as it opens to be changed as it leads into a new scene.

Hopefully I make sense in what I'm asking.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,795 Ambassador

Sure, I get it. 

Ok, even though this would be a POV shot, you'll want to try to minimize camera movements to make your life easier. 

You'll need to track your shot. You'll most likely need two-point track. 

You'll need to use the masking tools to define an area for the inserted BG plate. However, masks can't be attached to trackers, so you'll want to create a white plane, attach it to the tracker, mask the plane, convert it to a comp shot and use it as a source for the Set Matte effect. 

The mask itself won't be too hard. A door/door frame is nice straight lines. 

For the door itself shattering... You either make a bunch of copies of the door, each layer masked to be a chunk, then hand animate, or, spend the money for the Destruction add-on and use the Shatter effect. 

The new BG is also attached to the track, and is layed in using the created matte. 

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,422 Enthusiast
    edited May 2016

@Triem23 Mask can 'sort of' be attached to trackers, You just have to do it manually.

Do the tracking, apply it to a Point , then cut'n'paste the Position and Angle values from the Point into the Transform properties of the Mask. If you don't need the point for anything else you can then delete it.
    You'll need to move the mask to the starting position, but that value is stored in Path, so is not affected by the other values you just put in there.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,795 Ambassador

Ok, that's the second workaround. :-) Good to know.