Leave color effect

pHaMovie
pHaMovie Website User Posts: 12

"Turns your video black and white except for a single color - perfect for Sin City and Pleasantville-style visuals."

- Is there any way to make like 2 or 3 colors go through instead of just 1, with the Leave Color effect? - Or any other way would be great too? 

• Example: If there is a rainbow with the colors, (Blue, Red, Green, Yellow and Orange) - then i would like to take out the Red and Orange color so we only could see those and the rest would be black and white? 

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,043 Enthusiast

Maybe use the Hue & RGB key effect. Key out the color of choice, select the invert option in the effect options to keep the chosen color. Then you have one layer per color you want to keep and the bottom layer would be a black and white layer.

That is all I can think of.

• pHaMovie

And that is a part of the HitFilm Express? 

• pHaMovie

Nevermind, found it, but i cant get it to work - so yeah, still at zero

• NormanPCN

When you first add the Hue & RGB key effect to a layer you should turn the effect off so you can select the color you desire by using the eyedropper. Then turn the effect back on. When you initially add the effect it is operating with certain defaults which can get in the way of selecting a specific color.

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,422 Enthusiast

Also see if Hue or RGB works better. For keying a solid(ish) colour, RGB works better for me, I think the Effect defaults to Hue though.

• pHaMovie

Well, i choose the RGB and found the color with the eyedropper, but i sortof just removes the color, so its black and white and the spot thats Red is just plain black with that PNG layer.

It seems like i cant get the colour to outstand so its possible to see it and the rest black and white

• NormanPCN

It sounds like you forgot to invert the Hue & RGB key.

• pHaMovie

I did the invert too, but then everything else went into the "png" format 

• NormanPCN

@pHaMovie Does this help any? I am only keeping a single color but each additional color is just another layer on top of the others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgNjA1kJLas

• pHaMovie

Ohh, like that - Yeah, that helped me so much! - I thought that you should put the black and white and the RGB on the same clips, my bad sorry 

But thank you so much bro! 

• NormanPCN
    edited May 2016

No worries. It would be handy/convenient if Leave Color had options for more than one color. Like two or three.

• pHaMovie

Ye, if it had that option i would have bought the "starter pack" atleast, but now i dont know if its worth it 

• Aidin
    Aidin Website User Posts: 109
    edited May 2016

Maybe try using the Hue, Saturation, and Lightness effect and turning all of colors you want to be black and white to saturation all the way down, It worked for me.

• bhertzing
    bhertzing Website User Posts: 1

Thank you so much.  This made it SUPER easy for a novice like me to do some cool stuff.   

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,422 Enthusiast

@pHaMovie you can use Hue & RGB Key to strip out a colour, invert the mask and all you have is that colour remaining. Repeat for as many colours as you want, then overlay those clips on top of one with all the colour removed, using Hue Saturation & Lightness to desaturate the image to greyscale.

Result: as many colours as you want isolated against a grey background. Slower than Leave Color because it's doing multiple layers, but as versatile as you want to make it.

But Starter Pack is still worth getting for everything else. 3D Extrusion for one, Scan Lines is more versatile than you'd think, Color Correction Wheels, Split screening are all very useful and for the price of a couple of coffees: a bargain.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,795 Ambassador

The Starter Pack is probably the essential add-on pack for Express. Everything else is "it depends." 

EQ is invaluable for audio work, Color Wheels is one of your two most powerful color correction tools (the other is Curves). 3D extrusion... Hey, eventually you're going to want to make 3D text. There it is. Split screening can save a lot of time.

@Palacono gives a good tip with the Hue/RGB key.

@NormanPCN Leave Color can do multiple colors with tweaking. It involves multiple layers and stacking, like the RGB key.