Make audio louder than ... +12 db ?

Stefam
Stefam Posts: 72 Just Starting Out
edited October 11 in Post-production techniques

Working with a lot of sfx from different resources I frequently encounter sound files that are pretty quiet compared to other or the music or the audio of the video clips they have to interact with.

Now it seems I can only push the volume up to +12 db. So the workflow is to start with the quietest one and bring the volume of the others down to match that? Or is there any workflow to adjust the audio level in Hitfilm?

Stefan

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,367 Expert
    edited May 2016

The clip properties is limited to a 12dB boost. To get more you can add a channel levels audio effect and get another 12dB of boost. You can keep adding the channel levels effect to get more and more boost.

Most music these days, at least commercial, is dynamic range compressed and up against the wall (0dB). I would chop music/effects levels that are up against the 0dB wall.

• Stefam

Great, thanks for pointing the channel levels effect out. I was looking for something like "volume effect" or "gain" or something like that :)

• Sarasota
    Sarasota Posts: 267 Just Starting Out*
    edited August 2016
  • Stefam

That's of course true but sometimes you just have to live with bad audio files and still want to use it. Speaking of run and gun here, also including action camera footage where the mic (if you really want to call it that :) ) is imprisoned into a water resistant casing.

So sometimes I have to push the volume quite a lot, accepting the bad quality.

But in a setup where you can influence your recording its of course best to make sure that the take itself provides best possible quality.

regards,
    Stefan

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,276 Power User

If you have the storage space you might consider batch processing your SFX library? I would use Sound Forge, but I think Audacity can do this, and Normalize everything (except maybe ambience). Unfortunately Hitfilm lacks Compression/Limiting (the one missing, essential audio tool), so really massaging the audio is probably a job for another program. But Normalizing pretty much always helps. 

• Stefam
    edited May 2016

I have to admit I'm somewhat crappy when it comes to audio processing :)

Anyway, I do not have a SFX library exactly. Its more of a "browse you tube" for a specific sound effect and download that one. For most of my purposes a simple volume adjust does the trick.

But I agree that (semi-) pros will have other priorities here *g*

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,994 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2016

@Stefam

All of these packs are free: http://www.wavebrigade.com/free-sfx.html

You now have 130+ sound effects to begin PROPERLY building your sound library. ;)

• Stefam

@KevinTheFilmmaker

Thanks I already put a bookmark on that site. :)

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,618 Ambassador

There is also a Noise Reduction and EQ option in HF4P that can help reduce and/or eliminate some hiss and background noise.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,466 Enthusiast
    edited May 2016

Audacity  does indeed have batch processing using Chains  and you can load the audio straight from a video file if you add the FFMpeg plugin  but.......

From what you describe it seems like you might make good use of some noise reduction too. Audacity has some noise reduction ability and it might be good enough, try and it and see, but if it isn't and you want to try a more advanced plugin like the  iZotope RX plugin pack   then Audacity probably isn't the best choice. Good noise reduction plugins need a buffer that Audacity doesn't really support so what happens is silence gets inserted at the beginning and the end gets trimmed by an equal amount which can be really annoying. The only workaround involves padding the audio in some way. Another good free editor,  Wavosaur  does the same thing so if you really want or need noise reduction you're going to be better off with a commercial editor like Sound Forge or  iZotope Rx Audio Editor

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,618 Ambassador

@Aladdin4d - I do use SoundForge a lot. Excellent tool!

• RoemDaug
    RoemDaug Posts: 13

With the Hitfilm 4 update, you can add on the new "Equalizer" effect in the "Audio" folder, then increase the "Master Gain" to up to 120 dB, though it is unlikely you will have to increase it that much. Remember, this can combine with the extra 12 dB already mentioned, so the maximum volume for a clip is 132 dB, which is louder than a jackhammer, if your speakers can play it properly. Mostly, you will hear a disgusting sound that is almost unrecognizable.

• Stefam

Thanks for pointing out the Equalizer effect.

When working with Adobe I had some audio clips where I needed to push the gain +15 db plus the max volume adjust that Premiere offered. So I think 132 db should be more than enough :)

• Sarasota
    Sarasota Posts: 267 Just Starting Out*
    edited August 2016
  • Aidin
    Aidin Posts: 109

I would recommend making a composite shot (with the clip in it with the volume up) and raising the volume of it.

In my experience, channel levels has reduced the audio quality and made it become scratchy, where making composite shots didn't.

• Jpants
    Jpants USAPosts: 12 Just Starting Out*

For any posterity who is reading this thread 6 or more years after the last post above...

What we really need is for HitFilm to add a Peak Normalization feature.

Please see the following feature request to learn more:

(and remember to UPVOTE it!)

https://community.fxhome.com/discussion/55713/feature-audio-normalization

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,641 Moderator

@Jpants I absolutely agree about adding Audio Normalization!

However, (even though October is the season) please don’t bring old threads back from the dead!

This discussion has been closed.