You don't need a big budget to be great (well I think it's cool)

Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,867 Ambassador
edited May 2016 in Practical Filmmaking

So, if you haven't seen it check out the following Budget version of Captain America Cival War, everything looks like it's put together cheaply and yet it works so well, it is sobering reminder that looking great isn't all about shiny probs and cool locations but how it feels and is cut.

https://youtu.be/SBU6QA_i5HQ

Comments

• GodofThunderGodofThunder Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out

Great! I also like these guys work http://youtu.be/ZU6cj0IZ7Ko

• GodofThunderGodofThunder Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out

Although very silly, this one always makes me laugh   http://youtu.be/zNlLAp2OGi8

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

Love 'em all. Although, ironically, sometimes you spend MORE on a "low budget" look. 

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

Clever stuff! To see super heroes fighting over comic con tickets is quite amusing.

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,867 Ambassador

Cool links, wonder if that was a rental house!! ouch.

• WhiteCranePhotoWhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 896 Enthusiast

I agree... you don't need to spend a lot of money to make a great looking film, what you need is talent and dedication.

And a willingness to keep things a bit simpler... indies tend to go for complex in the hopes that it will make their films look better, but it usually has the opposite affect.

For example, we use camera moves sparingly; they add overhead to lighting, art direction, and blocking, all of which adds work + time... which tends to take away from storytelling and image quality. 

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,923 Enthusiast
    edited May 2016

In my opinion, due to what's available out there, as far as software and equipment/cameras are concerned, it's actually VERY easy to replicate whatever you want in big budget films. But it's the actors that you instantly notice that it's not a big budget. A lot of the times what's also taking me out of them is the color, it's almost always too much saturation, too much contrast, etc. Part of that is probably because people aren't shooting with DSLRs in flat profiles, or even RAW using Magic Lantern or a higher end camera, but I much rather prefer subtle color grading than something that's so obvious that you think more about the color than the movie. Audio sometimes, but for the most part it's good if someone has spent a lot of time on the project.

• WhiteCranePhotoWhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 896 Enthusiast
    edited May 2016

You don't need a particularly high end camera these days to make a great looking film. Too many people are hung up on that, and ignore the fact that storytelling, lighting, art direction, storytelling,  blocking, storytelling, acting, storytelling, editing, and did I mention storytelling? matter a lot more than the gear and the post software.

I'm sure you can detect a trend in there ;)

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,923 Enthusiast

Yeah that's very true. Film Riot did an episode on that, they shot a scene using an iPhone, and even though they did technically use something to stabilize the phone, it could of been done with tracking as well, so it's cool to see.

• chibichibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

Funny stuff.

Buy I wouldn't pay 8 bucks for this stuff...or most indie movies.
    Storytelling would not work without modern effects or good scripts and acting. It would just be a good story on paper.

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,867 Ambassador
    edited May 2016

@Chibi don't think this was aimed at the cinema movie going audience, but as a revenue steam for the creator, if it's good enough to generate traffic then it might make some money.

@Whitecranephoto agree with what you said, I too am guilty of this, you know what good looks like and forget the amount of time and budget that goes into making it look that good. Of course acting skills helps sell the scene as well.

• SarasotaSarasota Website User Posts: 272
    edited August 2016