I get an Installation error?

Hi, I'm new to this company/software in general (HitFilm Express 4) and I was was going to use it as a substitute for VDSC Free Video Editor, and while I was installing the software, around 3 quarters in , I get this error (Listed at the bottom) I would really like some help, thanks to anyone! I have a 64 bit Windows Computer, and I'm not very technical, so I don't really know what all of this means XD Thanks in advance!the error

Comments

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

That's a pretty technical error so sorry for getting well, technical.

The installer is trying to install or update what's known as the Microsoft Visual C Runtime. Trying to keep things simple C is a programming language that gets compiled to an executable form. There are different versions of the language and the compiler so when a program gets compiled it needs a matching runtime to in order to run i.e. a Visual C 9.0 program won't run with a Visual C 6.0 runtime it needs a 9.0 runtime. 

The correct runtime gets distributed with the program's installer and is installed more like a Windows Update package than a regular program. Windows keeps track of EVERYTHING like that in part by using manifests. This error indicates you have a corrupt manifest. Try the steps listed in the link below and see if that fixes the problem

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/957310

• ^ Thanks for the reply! I will try those steps now, don't worry I got what you said :)

• Sorry to bug you again, but now I get the "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" error on the command prompt, a bit of help please?

• Aladdin4d
    edited May 2016

Are you running the command prompt as an administrator? If you're not or you don't know for sure try the steps in the link below to open the command prompt and try again.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947813(v=ws.10).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

• I do run it as an admin, but still get this error :(

• Aladdin4d
    edited May 2016

One more thing before you have to move on to much more complicated things - put any anti-virus or malware real time scanning to sleep long enough to try again.

If that doesn't work you're headed into much more complex troubleshooting. The next step is to try it yet again and go through the log file to get a better picture of why it's failing. The link I'm posting below is from the bleeping computer forums and the folks over there are very good at tracking down this kind of problem especially if it's malware related. The downside is you are stepping off into very technical steps and if you aren't comfortable with that you probably don't want to things yourself.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568086/sfc-scannow-windows-resource-protection-could-not-perform-requested-operation/

P.S. If you haven't run any manual virus or malware scans you might want to do that too.

• Thank you, but I've been on this website and TBH, I think I'm just ready to scrap this software. I'm doing/trying to do too much, just to make my computer run this software, that is probably not that good. Thanks anyways.

• Aladdin4d

Well number one it is actually pretty good software and and number two the problems you are encountering are signs of serious registry problems that need to be fixed regardless of whether or not you still want to install the software. The fact that the standard fixes won't even run is a huge indication your system is compromised in some fashion.. Windows Resource Protection is a core tool for maintaining system integrity and when it can't run it almost always means something malicious is preventing it from running. 

• Well yea it may be good, but I already have another good one.
    Also what? You couldn't have told me that before? Oh well. Not really much I can do about it, my computer runs pretty damn fast for the past 3 years, and I haven't seen any signs of anything bad on it. 

But, any tips on what I should do?

• Aladdin4d

Ok so the error the installer is throwing by itself isn't alarming. It's Windows and things like that can happen. Windows even includes a few tool to fix errors  that "just happen" like that. How to use one of them was the first link I posted.

What Windows Resource Protection does is check all of the Windows resources or files  to see if any have been modified or corrupted in an unauthorized way (unsafe) and if so revert them back to an authorized (safe) version. Again it's Windows and things can happen so just because Resource Protection has to fix something it isn't necessarily a cause for alarm. BUT - When Resource Protection can't even begin to check everything much less fix a problem then you DEFINITELY have cause for alarm.

There's a serious issue somewhere that's preventing a tool whose only purpose is to double check the integrity and security of Windows files from operating. It's designed to run when there are errors in the system making the odds of it not being able to run because of those errors pretty slim. On the other hand a very common reason for Resource Protection not being able to work is it's being intentionally prevented from working because something has modified a Windows resource and it wants things to stay that way. That's the calling card of malicious software. 

It is possible that the problem isn't because of something malicious but the odds are heavily in favor of a virus or other malware being the real culprit. In any case even if the problem isn't the result of something malicious then you still have a pretty serious problem. Resource Protection is the kind of thing that should always be able to run and you should at least get things to a point where it can. Doing so will probably uncover other issues and in the long run you'll be much better off. 

This discussion has been closed.