Improvement tips for the HeadUp movie w/ Kirstie

MajahrMajahr Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 554 Enthusiast

...first, congratulation for this short movie, i.e. the attached tutorials. Very useful tips & techniques inside ;-) I've played around with the project file and will share one or two  tips to improve the realistic look:

1) Add an "Environment Map Viewer" to the scene as well as the "Tint" effect to create an athmospheric hologram inside the helmet with a bluish coloring:

Overall scene grading

2) To reflect all hud elements in the eyes, just create a plane (300x300px), link it to the tracker points and add the "Sphere" effect. Using the "Environment Layer" linked to the HUD composite shot, you're able to add the reflection inside the eye (the screenshot only contains the effect to the left eye). I've added an "Exposure" effect to brighten the relection up as well as a "Diffuser" to make it more blurish:

Eye reflection

Hope this helps ;-)

Regards,
Marc

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

And, after a long silence, @Majahr takes the stage, gives just about the best tip ever for eye reflections and drops the mic. 

• MajahrMajahr Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 554 Enthusiast
    edited April 2016
  • Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

And I'm now a stunned audience member thinking "Whoa........."

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Awesome tip for eye reflections. Don't go away again, Majahr!

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,053 Staff

Best. tip. ever. @Majahr AND you spelled my name right so bonus points for you :D

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

@Majahr - if you happen to produce a tutorial about these techniques we'd love to publish it on the official channel. Any plans to do so?

• IamJoshuaDaviesIamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 356 Staff

Great work @Majahr :D
    A tutorial would be excellent :)

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

I am dumbfound. Great addition, @Majahr.  Where have you been keeping yourself?!?!?!

• MajahrMajahr Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 554 Enthusiast

Hi...

I'll try to create a follow-up-tutorial asap ;-) Full of work - as everytime...

Regards,
    Marc

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

I hadn't realized Environment Map Viewer had been added to HF4E until I saw Marc's tips (How did I mess that?)!

That's a very powerful addition to HF4E.

I actually was typing up a way of generating the reflections in Kirstie's eyes when this thread went online. Marc's method was so beautiful and elegant and  simpler than mine, so I stopped.

However, just for sake of comparison (and as yet another illustration of how the same effect can often be done in at least three different ways) I'll go ahead and add my method here.

My idea was to duplicate the comp shot with the HUD elements and delete the tracked point, then move the camera to to location of the head pivot point and rotate the camera 180 degrees on y-axis. This gives "Kirstie's POV." Maybe adjust the Zoom parameter to go a bit more wide angle?

Drop that into the main comp as an embedded composite, track the eyes, flip this embed 180 degrees on y (to get the reflection) then parent to the eye track, scale down, circle mask to match the iris and adjust opacity and blend mode.

This does work, and it's pretty easy to do, but Marc's is better.