Hitfilm 4 Express

BorjaAnadonBorjaAnadon Website User Posts: 30
edited April 2016 in Post-production techniques

Hey HitFilm community!

I was wondering if you guys could tell what are the new effects or upgrades on HitFilm 4 Express

Thank you

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,272 Ambassador
    edited April 2016

I don't have a comprehensive list yet, but your main new features include:

• new audio effects--reverb, echo, flanger, doppler shift, audio stretch, etc 
    • New Rate Stretch tool for video--easier than the unintuitive Speed effect. 
    • Some new effects include Lens Flares, Lightning and Caustics. 
    • Some new options in add-on packs, including Pro Denoise. 
    • Manual Bezier/Motion graph keyframes. This lets you animate accelerations and motion in ways literally  impossible to do in 3 Express.
    • Auto targeting layers--orientation of lights, assets and cameras to a selected layer or point. This can literally cut down camera moves that would take over an hour to set up in 3 EXPRESS to about a minute. 

Along with hundreds of minor tweaks, adjustments and enhancements. Quad Warp is enhanced, there are new ways to navigate 3D space, more keyboard shortcuts, more control of things like shadow maps. 

I'm sure if staff were to type up a comprehensive list it would run to hundreds of changes. 

If you purchased any add-ons for 3 Express, they will work in 4 Express, so, really there's no reason to not upgrade. 

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,056 Staff

I would add something to that, but as always our super HitFilm user @Triem23 has jumped in and already answered it :) 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,272 Ambassador

@KirstieT it didn't hurt that my Amazon review already had a "Top Five New Features" list for 4 Pro... Swap out Auto Targeting (not in HF4P when I wrote the review) for Cook-Torrance/Reflections/Refractions  and Express has the same list. 

• ebardebard Website User Posts: 1

I'm noticing that since upgrading to 4 the Express Store no longer offers the 3D and Particles add-on's. :-(

• MelquisedequeBrenoMelquisedequeBreno Website User Posts: 2

My hitfilm not want to catch!
    When I put the tab edit, appears an error message and the program closes alone!

I am Brazilian and I'm using google translator to change the language

• DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out

@ebard The add-on packs have been reconfigured, and some of the more expensive options are now Pro only. This means new users have fewer choices to consider, which should make it easier to determine which options they need. It should also more clearly differentiate between the Express and Pro products.

MelquisedequeBreno please email us at [email protected] and include the error message and details of your computer specification.

• PyrateDiverPyrateDiver Website User Posts: 1
    edited May 2016

just testing 4 on a windows 10 machine, meet the requirements but when trying to launch the program the circle spins a bit and a process starts but the UI never opens.

Any ideas?

• VFXDrummerVFXDrummer Website User Posts: 1
    edited April 2016

I have recently been working with 3D objects in Blender. I know that the HitFilm Express series doesn't support 3D object imports. So, without forking out lots of money for the HitFilm Pro, what can I do to get my 3D objects in 4 Express?  I assume I would just have to export the final product from Blender as an actual video( .avi or something similar) and then just work with it that way? Any thoughts?

EDIT:

Could I perhaps do it the other way around? Where I make my video with all necessary effects and then put it in blender? Or maybe go back and forth between the two products as necessary? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

• JoseAndradeJoseAndrade Website User Posts: 2

Jota Andrade

Problema na ativação HitFilm4 Exprees, numero serial código não esta sendo aceito, como resolver? obrigado.

• DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out
    edited April 2016

@JoseAndrade : Por favor, verifique se você tem uma licença para HitFilm 4 Express. Este é um programa separado para HitFilm 3 Express, por isso requer uma licença diferente. Você pode reivindicar a sua licença aqui: https://hitfilm.com/express/heads-up#download

edited May 2016

@VFXDrummer going back and forth between packages is a viable workflow. However, the direction you'll want to go probably depends on the shot. 

We have a few users on this forum who move between Blender and Hitfilm. I think if you do a search for "Blender Hitfilm Tutorial" you'll find a few videos. 

Assuming you are doing things like matchmove and animation, you probably want to do the matchmove in blender then export your camera in .ma format (there's a tutorial on this that comes up in the above search string). Then render your object passes on transparent backgrounds to bring everything back to Hitfilm for final compositing and grading. 

• JoseAndradeJoseAndrade Website User Posts: 2

José Andrade

DanielGWood  Tenkio , Obrigado! eu instalei HitFilm 4 Express antes de retirar HitFilm 3 Express, ouve conflito a ultima versão não aceitava a ativação, excluímos a 3 pedimos para a instalação ser reparada pelo msi, voltamos a abrir a nova versão e foi aceita a ativação da versão 4!

graças pelo atenção a DanielGWood   

• HGliderHGlider Website User Posts: 5

Anybody else getting Hitfilm4 not being able to run on 2560 x1440. Hitfilm3 runs fine at it. Hitfilm4 gives me the resolution error as being to low. Yet everything runs on it fine at the 2560 x1440. Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@HGlider Check your desktop scaling. You're probably going to have to set it to 100% but according to the notes for Update 4 150% or greater should work too. 

I set it to 100% and now the HF4 looks good now but I am 65 years old and now I can't read anything. What I am wondering why the change as Hitfilm3 was just fine. I hate to have to keep switching

It works at 125%  text scaling now but at 2560 x 1440 reading any text is hard on the eyes. Is HF4 worth it over HF3 as it HF3 was fine with the 150% text scaling. If not I might just go back to HF3

@HGlider You could stay on HF3E if you're happy, but HF4 is significantly more powerful--besides a few effects formerly only found in add-on packs being folded into the base software, the new auto-align options and manual bezier keyframes make it very easy to create animations that would be impossible in HF3E.

As far as "why the change?" That's the way the industry works. Every software package in existence ever either eventually releases a new version with new features, or fades out of existence.