Mask Snapping

TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out

Is there a way to turn on Snapping for masks? To make the points line up easily typically perpendicular or parallel mask snapping is a common feature that I hope I am just overlooking.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,319 Ambassador

Hmmm. Not that I know of. 

• TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out

@Triem23 I need to recreate my logo (The same logo I have for my avatar on this forum) in HitFilm from scratch so it's 'editable.' How would you go about this then without mask snapping?

I guess I could manually enter the point coordinates of the mask. Tedious but a optional work around.

edited April 2016

This learning curve though from FCPX/Motion... haha apparently there isn't a way to manually input point coordinates that I can see in the Mask Transform window...

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,319 Ambassador

I would probably dump a bitmap/image out and just trace it at 200% zoom. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

If all you have is bitmaps of your logo personally I would use the trace tools of a vector program like Illustrator, Corel Draw or Inkscape. Once you have it as vector layers you can scale and export bitmaps of individual layers for use with things like Set Matte.

HitFilm can't import a vector directly but Boris 3D Objects can import eps and other programs you might add to your kit like Titler Pro can too. You can also import a 2D vector into a 3D program like Blender, add a touch of extrude and export a 3D object that HitFilm can manipulate directly. 

• SomniART3DSomniART3D Website User Posts: 22

Hello good day. The problem is that if I need to use an effect like neon path, boris does not allow it. It would be nice to have more advanced drawing tools with shapes, (stars, geometries, etc)and also to be able to import tracings like eps or illustrator.

I think we are missing drawing tools in composition mode, we would also need some more advanced text tools. I hope that in the next versions is taken into account.

--------------------------

Creo que nos faltan herramientas de dibujo en modo composición, también necesitaríamos herramientas de texto algo más avanzadas. Espero que en las proximas versiones se tenga en cuenta.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,061 Ambassador

Keep in mind that HitFilm is primarily targeting users who want affordable compositing and FX software.  While recent versions are beginning to add more motion graphics features (like Neon Path), I strongly doubt that FXHOME intend to invest the resources required to bring HitFilm's motion graphics feature set in line with After Effects.

That said, I would LOVE to be proven wrong. ;)

I agree with what you say, but I think hitfilm is reaching a very high level. Note that afer effects does not have native 3d as a hitfilm. I know that hitfilm is relatively young with regard to AFTER, but I think it will overcome it as they continue to add new tools.

@SomniART3D one thing about Boris--while included with Hitfilm it is a third party product and FXHOME isn't responsible for its code. Boris cannot interface with any native effects of the host (this includes running Boris in Vegas, Ae, FCPX, Avid, etc). This is very unlikely to ever change. 

Boris Extruded Spline can load Illustrator files. Like Boris text this renders to a 2D layer. Imperfect, but you have the option. 

Dedicated shape layers would be nice, but I note that masking a plane can be used to draw any custom shape. Since this will be a raster layer, not vector, you might want to make the plane extra large before making. I'll often put a grade layer above things when masking shapes. Add a grid effect to the grade (and set blend mode to something like ADD) and adjust the grid size to create virtual graph paper for reference and alignment. Again, not as convenient as a dedicated shape layer, but can be done (and you can save Composite Shots with drawn shapes to your drive to import into other projects. Build once, reuse forever). 

An upgrade to the Hitfilm text engine would be nice. Just adding in kerning and maybe being able to keyframe font sizes, colors, outlines, leading and kerning would reall improve things. 

As we all know, Hitfilm is a lot younger than Ae, but a new mograph option or two ends up in every "full version" release. FXHOME is working on it, but they seem to try to "balance" new features each release--a couple of mograph tools, a couple of 3D tweaks, a few new 2D effects, a few audio changes and some workflow enhancements. I believe FXHOME has 3-5 coders on Hitfilm, and, obviously, they work really hard on improvements. :-) @jsbarrett they'll continue to catch up to Ae, but we probably won't ever see a "dedicated mograph" upgrade. B) 

Well wait for the new version, I guess it comes out at the end of the year, to see that we have prepared with the new version. I hope that interesting tools.