Quick NLE Question... Please chime in (Cheers).

Sarasota
Sarasota Website User Posts: 272
edited August 2016 in General

Comments

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,033 Ambassador

That price range impleys to me this is more than just hobby use, is this professional use? If so might give the peeps here some ideas.

Andy

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast
    edited April 2016

There's a lot to like about Edius. Import format support is really good, it's pretty fast and multi-cam support is excellent. It has some quirks but all NLE's do and I can't think of any that would be a deal breaker. Timeline quirks - You can have a combined video+audio track which can be handy but if you later decide to move the audio to a dedicated track you have to unlink it first and if you move the video to a dedicated track you'll lose the audio with no easy way to get it back. Zooming in and out on the timeline is done with the scroll wheel or number pad with no GUI function for that on the default layout so if you're on a laptop you might not be able to zoom until you make a custom layout or shortcut key. Not deal breakers - just quirky.

If I remember right you use Reaper and now that it looks like there's going to be a Vegas 14 you might want to wait and take a look at it because Reaper has full Vegas EDL import/export support making it really easy to combine the two on projects. 

• johnnyjelko
    johnnyjelko Website User Posts: 93

If you have a pretty nice system, especially gpu, davinci resolve 12 is great.. especially with dnxhd format. And it's free! for the non studio version. Which only difference is handles multiple gpus and 4k support I believe.

I read a little about Edius Pro 8 and the real time - no need to render stopped me dead in my tracks.. what kind of sorcery setup do you need to pull this off?

• TommyCampbell
    TommyCampbell Website User Posts: 35

I use Edius 8 quite a bit and I really like it. The main downside to Edius is the plugin ecosystem is a lot smaller than it is for Vegas, Avid and Premiere.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast
    edited April 2016

@johnnyjelko Real time rendering mainly means media is rendered to the project settings in real time. This is how Edius is able to handle different resolutions and frame rates in the same project so if you drop a 24 fps 1080i clip in a 29.97 720p project it's automatically rendered to the project settings in real time as you edit. Some NLE's would make you transcode the 1080i clip to the project settings first before you could use it. 

At a certain point depending on number of streams, applied effects, transitions etc, you lose real time rendering. When that happens Edius automatically creates a temp render for any parts of the timeline it can't handle without dropping frames. Think of it as a proxy that's automatically created and used as needed but at the end of the day if you want to render something for YouTube then you're still going to have to do a plain old fashioned render. There are some nice extras to this approach though like you have some options on what codec and quality these renders use and if it matches your final output codec then Edius uses the existing renders only rendering the parts that haven't been rendered yet. 

@TommyCampbell mentioned there's not a lot of plugins for Edius and there's a reason for that. Edius has really targeted the Same Day Editing (think news broadcasts) market and its development has focused solely on what news cutters need and want - direct to edit, broad format support, speed, stability and multi-cam with little or no "flash". Everything else has always been secondary.

• johnnyjelko
    johnnyjelko Website User Posts: 93

@Aladdin4d that makes a little more sense. I was thinking it had some type of background real time renderer that you click to save as rather than export when you're ready... maybe 10 years from now.

• Sarasota
    Sarasota Website User Posts: 272
    edited August 2016