Explainer Video creation in HitFilm

Dhrub
Dhrub Posts: 6
edited March 2016 in Post-production techniques

Hi Friends, 

I am an animation enthusiast with no knowledge in animation , Still learning and seek your kind advice.I wish to create animated info graphic video  Popularly known as  " Explainer video " 

These videos unlike professional film doesn't have either much animation or either much vfx. . But I have no clue how they are designed. I know the God father for explainer video is " After effects " but I really can't use it  because I can't afford it  The videos I am referring to are example :

I know how to create the static  graphics in technical term called as       " infographics " or "Storyboard" using concept draw . . But after that  Can I use only hitfilm to get video like this.

Please do guide me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au0Ue7qCy6k&list=PLnw8PCKzMRlpnwi0olS6LJ-D-NketTBFt&spfreload=5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5kSwXc_WQ&index=9&list=PLKvnGXObHCJbsJqWifQD70_dokO9t484X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2lEuBod7Hs&list=PLKvnGXObHCJbsJqWifQD70_dokO9t484X&index=14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvwg7mIZ4E&index=20&list=PLKvnGXObHCJbsJqWifQD70_dokO9t484X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lo7FEjCqp0&list=PLKvnGXObHCJbsJqWifQD70_dokO9t484X&index=25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9thrGPyN-k&list=PLKvnGXObHCJbsJqWifQD70_dokO9t484X&index=35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUfkx8gPv8Q&list=PLKvnGXObHCJbsJqWifQD70_dokO9t484X&index=38

Regards,

Dhrub

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited March 2016

The best way to cover a lot of ground is to watch the tutorials first, play around with the program so you're familiar with the controls and what they do and then ask more specific questions for things you don't understand. The tutorials are easy to follow and weed out the ones you don't need immediately as you go. After the 'Start Here' video section you'll probably want to watch the motion graphics tutorials. There's a link to the tutorial page below that can also be accessed anytime from the MENU button in the upper right hand corner. There may be some limitations as to what you can do if you're using HitFilm3Express.

Most of what you're looking to do, like in your video examples, can be done in HitFilm. You'll need a lot of resources such as royalty free clip art (if you can't afford to pay for clip art look online for royalty free sites- Google search will turn up a bunch) or you could create your own using a paint or drawing program....and you can find free ones of those online as well.

http://hitfilm.com/video-tutorials#/

• Dhrub
    edited March 2016

Awesome sense of satisfaction. . .I wanted to establish myself in field of animation-very specific to Explainer video for Business 

I don't want to hide myself like many just because they are using everything Pirated and violating license of many pictures/tools /etc ( Not all but its the story) -That's how they provide cheap explainer videos overnight 

I wanted to provide truely low cost explainer video (after next 2 years :( )  and that to 100% legal 100%  copyright violation free . .  and I don't want to hidemyself  . . 

Almost 99% of forum has only one answer After Effects ! . . After effects license would take 35% of the cost I am planning to offer. . 

These AE folks don't understand that $ value varies with country . Eg . You pay 70x Less for the same medical expense  in country x compared to US.  You pay your one month salary in US - to pay rent and food expense for entire year in country  x  ( just for example ) ;then obvious the video output would have lower cost in India . .How can same universal AE subscription cost  Justify it ?  So AE just doesn't suite my business model 

If any of my friends in forum would like to share any challenges /suggestion ( not spoon feed : ( but tips ) specific to explainer videos  using Hitfilm .  Greately welcome and many thanks !!

Regards,

Dhrub

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

You can do all that in Hitfilm but it'll require a lot of manual keyframing. The many free scripts available for AE would realistically be a lot easier to use.

And older version of AE CS6 for $149 is available here.

http://emporiumdownloads.com/product/adobe-after-effects-cs6/

• Dhrub

Hi Friends, 

Appreciate your inputs . I am a software engineer & belongs to law background . does't mean that I know everything . .but i have some background . . Ok I don't men to criticize but below are strong  points that raise the red flag to purchase from above site.

1. They Claim to be an LLC but they don't have Company ID in their invoice -Strange !

2.They don't have Tax ID in their invoice 

3. You are not going to get license key with the Product   ? -Confirmed with them 

4. This is an OEM product -that means it is entitled to be purchased & used legally with hardware

5.They mentioned that hey purchased produce from reliable sources ? if not adobe who are reliable sources ? Strange ! 

6.If you go to www.who.is and enter their domain iD - they have enabled proxy. . ! -What is the requrement to hide their identity if they are LLC 

7 . They are LLC but they don't have SSL for any of the website links ! Strange !

So I would rather save 149 $ which is even not a less amount ! and add some more to purchase some other legal version that can do the job. 

Can you please suggest any other software on  upto around 250$ one time that can help me do the job of creating explainer video more effectively

Regards,

Dhrub

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

Have you considered PowerPoint or Keynote? You cab actually do quite a bit of this kind of thing in either one then do a run through and screen capture shots. Assemble the shots, add voice overs etc in HtiFilm

• Dhrub

Hi Excellent Suggestion ! I have excel 2016 . . I will do evaluate and will let you know  . . Its my mistake . I didn't thought about Powerpoint. . . we all like fancy items . when simple things even do the job. !

If you have any other suggestion to prepare such kind of Explainer vidoes Please do comment ! :) 

Many thanks 

Dhrub

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,065 Ambassador
    edited April 2016

(Emporium Downloads isn't an authorized Adobe dealer. I've actually confirmed that with Adobe directly) 

Hitfilm is capable of doing what you want to do. After Effects has some functionality that makes that type of graphic work faster than in Hitfilm. 

Sticking with what StormyKnight wrote, you're best to start off looking at the Hitfilm YouTube page--also look on the YouTube channels for TooshkaTraining and AgArtsCo. 

Part of the reason we're suggesting tutorials first is your question is "How do I make videos like this," and the answer is very very long. You have to know where to find or create graphic elements outside of Hitfilm then import, place and resize them. Or you have to understand a whole series of tools to create the graphics inside Hitfilm. You'll need to understand Transform controls, Keyframe Animation, 3D space, Embedded Composite Shots, Text controls, saving and loading Effects presets or Composite Shots as templates and a lot of other things to really get into how to do the specific things you want, and a lot of that information is better learned from a video where you can see the interface and controls in action instead of here, in text. 

What you want to do isn't hard, but there's things you'll need to know first best learned from existing tutorials. My inexact metaphor is how you searched out Emporium Downloads. That was easy for you because you already have the basic knowledge of what to look for--like the legalities of LLC's. 

For now, look on the recommended YouTube pages, and look at page 1 of this thread:  https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/4699/learning-hitfilm-tutorials-from-basics-to-advanced#latest The first post here lists the majority of Hitfilm tutorials from FxHome in an easy to read list that links to the videos. You want to know how to navigate the Editor and Composite Shot Timelines, Masking, Keyframing, Cameras Text and 3D compositing first. From there we'll be able to recommend specific tutorials for  specific techniques to move towards your goal.  

@Aladdin4d nice catch with PowerPoint. 

• Dhrub
    edited April 2016

Many Tripple thanks ! . . The reason I was asking so much nonsense perhaps question is  . . . . . . not to get spoon feed . . But to make sure that I am certainly not stepping into the wrong boat or ship . . 

Now I know from so many experienced folks comments that I am certainly in the right boat or better right Ship.

There would be hurdles , but I will find my way out ! 

Your response are certainly so much motivating for a no voice like me! 

Regards,

Dhrub

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

PowerPoint has been used to do explainer presentations for a very long time ;) so it really does have some pretty good tools for this kind of thing. Where it falls short is in video export support but the workarounds can be cheap, easy and effective like playing a slideshow and capturing it with a screen capture utility. There are several of those and many are free.

PowerPoint stores many animations as WMV videos in the PowerPoint file. These are easily extracted since a pptx file is a Zip compressed archive. You can use any Zip utility like the free 7-Zip to extract a presentation to a folder or you can make a copy of the presentation, change the file extension to .zip and use the native Windows Zip support.

Voice over and narration - Personally I wouldn't use PowerPoint to produce a final narration or voice over because the quality isn't there in my opinion but the included tools are excellent for draft quality audio to use for establishing timings, duration, flow and rehearsing voice work.

Slides can equal storyboards, in fact PowerPoint has a tool set just for storyboards, so you can get organized, insert new slides to do the actual project work then set up a custom show to hide the storyboard slides when you're ready to start your captures. Those slides will still be there in full view in edit mode but not appear in presentation mode.

Presenter notes are per slide so you can keep very detailed notes and even script sections with each slide. Personally I'd keep all production notes on the storyboard slides and script sections on the project slides because if you have dual displays you can use Presenter mode giving you a full screen presentation for capture on one screen and the presenter notes and a timer on the second screen. Think of it as a built in poor man's teleprompter. 

PowerPoint has animation paths and there is a way to take advantage of this when you want to incorporate animated elements in HitFilm for the final product. To do that you're going to want a clean plate and a tracking plate. The clean plate is well, clean. Pretty self explanatory. For the tracking plate make a simple colored square to use as a tracking marker and have it follow the path you want. In HitFilm track the marker and apply the tracking to a point layer. You now have an animated point to hook all kinds of things onto like say a particle emitter. There's all kinds of possibilities.

I'm not saying PowerPoint is the best tool for this all of the time but it can do a whole lot and actually has some pretty good advantages. I have no idea what the costs would be for you but going with an Office 365 subscription might be a very good way to go. I don't normally care for software subscriptions but I think all of the Office 365 plans come with 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage which might take some of the sting out of the cost. I've been paying $9.95 a month for 1 TB of storage on Dropbox. For the same price (even less for the first year) I can get 1 TB of cloud storage and fully licensed Office 2016 on 5 systems and up to 10 mobile devices so I'm probably switching over soon.

• Dhrub

Aladdin4d Thanks for your valuable feedback ! I already started watching Hitfilm tutorial and playing around !

As Long as we are doing an infographics kind of Explainer video .. .PPT would do well and your approach looks promising. . But what if we wanted to make more PROfessional explainer . . .  Like to say ( Which involves bit more character action and story telling animation ) 

Eg. (Scroll down a bit in each page) 

http://www.switchvideo.com/2014-portfolio/

https://www.wyzowl.com/

http://www.whiteboardanimation.com/

I somewhere still think  we would need an -typical animation tool (OfCourse not taking the After effect route )

I of now I am considering  hitfilm -because anyways i need to learn one vfx and editing tool !. .enough on my plate to learn . ... if i get any more valuable suggestion . I will take that as well . . 

Regards,

Dhrub

This discussion has been closed.