Isn't is funny how HitFilm works its way into other projects...

RossTrowbridgeRossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast

So I'm sitting in my cubicle at work working on some illustrations in illustrator when I hear my name from a neighboring cubicle. There are two people over there from our MarCom (Marketing Communications) discussing how they are going to create an image of a baseball stadium being hit by lightning as an illustration to be used in a publication covering one of our company's products, a lightning sensor. They were at a loss on how to do it.

Since my name had come up, I wandered over to see what was going on. I'm TechCom (Technical Communications), so I don't generally involve myself in anything doing with Marketing illustrations.

They had gotten far enough along they had obtained an image of the stadium they wanted to use, but hadn't come up with a good way to add their lightning. They had been looking at buying vector graphics of lightning to composite into their shot.

HitFilm to the rescue! I bring my personal laptop to work to work on during my lunches, and it has HitFilm on it. So I took their image into HitFilm and added a lightning strike. I worked with our senior application engineer in our weather group. He has installed multiple lightning detection towers at Sandia National Labs and really knows his stuff. We tweaked the settings until he was happy with the realism of the strike, and then gave it to the the MarCom people, who were very happy to get it done.

Because of HitFilm, we were able to meet a publishing deadline. I love this program!

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Great stuff, Ross! Thanks for sharing the story. :D

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,829 Ambassador
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

@RossTrowbridge - You, sir, are a genuine 23rd Century renaissance man! ;^)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

Yup, that's a cool story, alright! 

(Coincidentally I van think of at least three ways to make really good lightning in Photoshop. Perhaps I should apply at Ross's company...) 

• RossTrowbridgeRossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast

@Triem23 We do have a great PhotoShop guy here. He's the manager of MarCom. But he wasn't around. I probably could have done it in PhotoShop as well, but knew I would have great control over the look of the lightning and its glow in HitFilm, so I went that way.

We manufacture a device that actually measures the electric field in the atmosphere and can predict lightning strikes as the field increases prior to a strike. It's being used at more and more outdoor sporting venues, from the High School level on up.

I had to show the lightning hitting a specific spot in the stadium where it wouldn't look like it was killing anyone.

I sneak HitFilm into some of the videos I've created here. I've done about 25 product support videos now (real exciting stuff), but HitFilm has helped out in several illustrations. I used light flares recently to illustrate radio communications between a base station and remote stations at different distances. I could have used the animated lasers for that one, but liked the moving light flares better. I even used VisionLab Studio once for the very first video I did here (pre-HitFilm).

But if you want to move to Utah, I'd love to have you closer to pick your brain.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

Lol--noted, Ross. ;-)

Side note--I needed some 3D text for some inserts, and, for some reason I chose to do it with the 3D functions in Photoshop Extended CS6....

Photoshop is slow for this crap--I mean 20 second screen updates after using the color picker on a laptop with an i7-6700, Nvidia 980m and insane RAM...

So, after struggling through 90 minutes of annoyance before Photoshop crashed out, I went into Hitfilm 4 Pro, opened up Boris Extruded text and was done in 2 minutes....

• larsforsethlarsforseth Website User Posts: 15

RossTrowbridge Great story! Can you share the picture? :)

• RossTrowbridgeRossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    edited March 2016

@Iarsforseth Not yet. When it goes live I can probably share a link to it, though.

@Triem23 Isn't is amazing how much easier things are when you use the right tool? *grin*