3d Model compatibility with Hitfilm

TTSProd
TTSProd Posts: 69 Just Starting Out

Most free 3d models I've downloaded are useless in Hitfilm because they are an unfixable mess after import.  I understand that every 3d modeling program does things a bit differently and these differences can mess with the way Hitfilm imports them.  After much trial and failure with free models I'm considering buying the 3d models I need, but nobody sells Hitfilm certified models so I'm afraid I would just be throwing money away.  I've read the manual and searched the forums, but I can't find any information on what I should be looking for in a 3d model so that it will import into Hitfilm with minimal issues.

If anyone has any ideas or insight I would love to hear from you!

Ken

Comments

• BriRedd
    BriRedd Posts: 97 Just Starting Out*
    edited March 2016

It might help to explain what issues you are having. Include the file type and if they are free models, links. The more information about the problem(s) the better to answer your question.

• TTSProd

Thanks for your reply.  I'm not looking for help importing models that are clearly incompatible with Hitfilm as I don't think there is an operational fix for that.  I was hoping someone might have some tips as to what to look for in a model that might indicate its compatibility with Hitfilm so I could purchase models with a reasonable amount of confidence they would work.  There may be no way to know without trial and error but I thought I would ask if anyone had any tips or advice.

Ken

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

You might try Open3mod to check models before importing into HitFilm. The community hasn't known about it long so I couldn't tell you if the geometry repair tools will help or not. 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

I have tried few 3D model imports but my experience with the free stuff is not so good. It's a crap shoot. Some stuff has flat out errors that you would need to fix in a modeling app.

One thing I have been told via this forum is to make sure the model is not using some special plug-ins like Vray or others. Hitfilm does not support these things. Turbosquid does have information about any special requirements of a model. Also, a model might have  versions with and without such plug-in use.

I can't say as my opinion is worth much, but it appears to me that the free stuff is hit or miss. The competence of the author is indeterminant and the portability of the model is all over the map. Someone did something in a certain app, with certain settings and the model is what it is. Okay for opening in a 3D app since you can deal with issues. The sites selling models seem to offer models setup/saved with portability in mind.

• TTSProd

Aladdin4d I'm going to try out that software, a quick read of the page sounds promising.  I'll report back if its useful!

NormanPCN Yes, the free stuff is pretty rough for sure and it's what has made me afraid to actually spend money on a model.  I hear what your saying though about how the sites selling 3d models try to make them as software neutral as possible and I hadn't considered that.  I also hadn't considered that proprietary plugins would pose a problem because I figured that the output file would be the final geometry with the plugins applied adhering to the format of a .lwo, .3ds or .obj!  No wonder free 3d models are such a crap shoot!

Still lots to learn and I appreciate the help.  Thank you both for the responses!

Ken

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,193 Expert
    edited March 2016

First, I'm glad that folks are realizing that purchasing a 3D model online, is indeed a crapshoot when you need to import it into HF and it looks awful... it sucks but that's how it is. 

@TTSProd, You're correct, you shouldn't need to worry about the exported 3D model if it was modelled non destructively with plugins or modifiers as those are baked permanently onto the models geometry on export, well... they are supposed to be.

It doesn't matter what engine was used to create the materials that are assigned to your model because you can easily fix that, there are in fact a whole bunch of ways to tweak an "online" purchased model so that it will work properly in HF, most are a pain in the rear... I promise you. I've used  Open3mod, Meshlab Nettfabb etc. to repair bad geometry in corrupted files, which sadly didn't do what I needed for repairs in all cases, which if all else fails, you can try retopology and rebaking textures. All of that stuff is time consuming and it can't beat building and texturing your own model, if you have the skills?

• TTSProd

Thanks spydurhank,

I have been trying my hand at repairing models in Blender with limited success.  Many times it opens in blender without an issue so there is nothing to fix.  So I'll just render it out of blender without changing anything and check to see if it has magically been fixed... it has helped occasionally.  I am trying to build my own models as well, learning blender is also time consuming but it will pay off if I can build the models I need.  Thanks for the tips, I'll check out Meshlab and Nettfabb to see if they help!

Ken

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,431 Ambassador

3D models in HF are problematic in some cases.   Sometimes its just better to render your model in Blender, Lightwave, etc. over black with an alpha channel and use that image sequence as a compositing layer in HF.

HF is not a modeler and it relies on GPU for rendering, so anything in your model that is outside the realm of UV textures (e.g. procedural textures, expressions, etc.) that require the CPU to render will not be respected by HF.

HF is a compositor, that gives you "some" ability to bring models into its 3D space.  It is not a full on 3D package. 

• TTSProd

@Stargazer54  Agreed 3d models in HF have been problematic at times but rendering in Blender with an alpha just doesn't look as good and I'm usually aiming for interaction between the model and other things in the scene.  I really have no problem with re-texturing models but a lot of times they import to HF with only one default material and I don't know how I would re-texture a model like that.  I'm trying to learn blender in the hopes I can modify models like that and separate the materials for re-texturing.

@spydurhank  Thanks so much for your suggestion on Meshlab!  I've already fixed a model that had some inverted meshes but otherwise imported in HF okay and now it imports perfectly.  I haven't tried Nettfabb because it's kind of expensive so for now I'll keep playing with Meshlab which has a ton of options to explore and Open3Mod which I have tried a couple times without much luck, but you never know!

Ken

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,193 Expert

No problem, glad Meshlab worked for you. :)

There's a free version of netfabb for download, here's a link. 

http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

Side note--for those of you doing space scenes, @NxVisualStudio created his "Hitfilm Celestial Model Pack." found here: https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/space/planet/hitfilm-celestial-model-pack

These models were specifically created to work with Hitfilm 2 Ultimate and 3 Pro (and work great in Hitfilm 4 Pro). Tony's also working on a City pack that's designed for Hitfilm 4 Pro, but he's a busy bee these days and I don't know when he'll get to finish it.

Here's the release trailer for the Celestial Model Pack, animated and composited in Hitfilm 3 Pro.

• TTSProd

@spydurhank Thanks for the link!  I did not notice the basic version when I checked out the site.

@Triem23 Also an excellent link!  Although I'm not currently working on anything that requires celestial models, I'm sure there are plenty of people who are.  I'm really looking forward to the city pack as that is the type of stuff I need for my current projects.