Film Studios using HitFilm

larsforsethlarsforseth Website User Posts: 15

Hi there,

short question out of curiosity which I wasn't able to answer via the forum search: Are there any / Which film studios are using HitFilm on their productions (shorts, features, ads, commercial videos, training videos)?

Just trying to get a feeling what kind of value it has in the film industry to have HitFilm as a skill on ones CV.

Thanks,
Lars.

Comments

• chibichibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

If you're looking into working in the film industy there's only Nuke and Fusion, some AE.

The smaller shops and indie films are probably ok using AE, HF.
    They're capable enough for projects that don't need huge data sets, buffers, etc.

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,931 Enthusiast

The more programs you have, the more attractive you'll be in the film industry, I think that's how it goes. AE isn't necessarily a standard as far as I'm concerned. If I'm not mistaken, I've read that the big studios use their own programs, modified and developed private.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,302 Ambassador

Chibi and Kevin are mostly correct here. Some large effects houses use AE, some Nuke and Fusion, some use Boris Red,  some use custom tools. Hitfilm, probably not so much, although some smaller/indy houses might. 

That said, if you get good with Hitfilm and develop strong techniques and solid workflow in Hitfilm those skills will adapt fairly easily to any other layer-based compositor like AE or RED. Nuke and Fusion are node-based, so thier fundamental workflows are different. 

Your reel will be more important than your software literacy. If your Hitfilm reel looks good, and you show strong composition and timing, then you've shown you can do the work--learning a new program is easy if you've already mastered one! (And you could always download the AE demo if you don't want to spend that money. You won't be able to render out shots, but you can still learn the tools and workflow differences) 

• larsforsethlarsforseth Website User Posts: 15

Thanks for your inputs so far.
    The most job openings I looked up, requested good skills in Nuke.
    So Nuke seems to be quite wide-spread. I might give their free (non-commercial) version a spin some time...

• chibichibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

Nuke pretty much owns highend compositing.
    But Fusion will probably fit most studios especially now its free.
    Excellent tutorial with Fusion used in Battlestar Galactica
    http://www.liberty3d.com/2016/03/fusion-for-lightwave-artistsii/?mc_cid=b38c84b8cc&mc_eid=6b8413a425

I hope the next release of HF focuses more on mograph and integration with other 3d software. AE owns mograph and node based compositors can't touch it. HF has lots of potential there.

• davide445davide445 Website User Posts: 306 Just Starting Out

Before starting investing time in HF I did have same doubts. Subscribing all the answers you already received, for me make the difference this reasoning: if you work for a company you need to fit their pipeline, if you are a professional the only priority is cost/quality and delivery time of the final work, here is where HF does have an edge.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

HitFilm as a product is on a really interesting journey. Every year it attracts a wider range of users and it's increasingly being used by professionals at various levels. In terms of specific studio use, it's a tricky one because there's actually no particular reason we'd ever know unless they explicitly contacted us. For example, one specific use of our muzzle flash tech in a major movie only came to light because they contacted us for a bit of tech support during the project.

We've had recent discussions with some studios, so it'll be interesting to see how those relationships develop. And, of course, there's always the impetus on us to keep making the software better and better - although studios aren't our primary audience or focus, it's still a good watermark to aim for.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,302 Ambassador

Not mentioned here yet is the Plug-ins--Ignite--which is a way to have studios using Hitfilm tech but not Hitfilm Pro. The Gunfire effect alone is a timesaver for any shoot 'em up film. 

• larsforsethlarsforseth Website User Posts: 15

SimonKJones Thanks for the heads up and the interesting info! :)

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,931 Enthusiast
    edited April 2016

That's very cool Simon!

Are we allowed to know what the movie was that they were using the muzzle flash effect in?

I'm just curious, no real reason.

Kevin