Graphic card

MorgothMorgoth Website User Posts: 3
edited March 2016 in General

I'm looking to buy a new Dell computer and it comes with a 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 Graphics card. Is this card compatible with Hit Film 3 Pro?

Walter

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,225 Ambassador

It is, however there are known issues with Hitfilm and Dells. @Ady, any news there? 

• MorgothMorgoth Website User Posts: 3

Thanks for the info Triem23. The Dell comes with

• Intel® Core i7-6700 Processor 3.4GHz
    • 16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM

I don't know if that helps or hurts my choice.

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,426 Staff
    edited March 2016

Morgoth - The GTX 745 would probably work with HitFilm but it is not a card that would give good performance. It's a low end, low powered GPU not really intended for intense 3D applications, I would bump it up to another card if your budget can stretch a little further.

@Triem23 - Sadly we have had no luck tracking down the issue with some Dell machines. Some have oddly been fixed by Windows updates recently though, we will keep looking!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,225 Ambassador

@Morgoth at this point I would say maybe don't buy that machine. The CPU is good, it's got a good amount of RAM. That Nvidia 745 is not the best (note, with Nvida the "hundreds digit" is the generation, the "tens digit" is the series. X40 to x60 are low-end series. A 745 will perform worse than a 680).

But it's a Dell--there have been crash issues on Dell that the devs think is related to Dell system software, and as Ady said above, they haven't figured it out yet. We wouldn't want you to buy a machine that has known problems that aren't fixable yet. 

I recommend looking for a machine with similar specs from another manufacturer. If you can stretch your budget to get that Nvidia 745 up to a 780. 870 or 880 might be better? 

• MorgothMorgoth Website User Posts: 3

Ady and Triem23 thank you for your help. Since my funds are limited I think I'll take your advise and hold off till I find a better setup.

• akshat1984akshat1984 Website User Posts: 2

I would suggest going with GeForce GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 Ti graphics card.

• akshat1984akshat1984 Website User Posts: 2

I would suggest going with GeForce GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 Ti graphics card.