All of my clips come in vertically rotated 180°?

goldbedr
goldbedr Posts: 4
edited March 2016 in Post-production techniques

Hey all,

I've just started using HitFilm3Express and I pulled in my first clips and found that they're appearing upside down in the program. If I view them with any normal player or import them into MS MovieMaker (what I was using previously), they appear right side up.

Any ideas why they're coming in upside down? I found I can fix it in the compositor by doing at 180° transform, but that's really not ideal if I could get them to just be right from the beginning.

Thanks!

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited March 2016

Well, the solution you have (rotating 180 degrees) is about all I could suggest. It is a pain to have to do it. Have you tried contacting support? It may be a bug that needs fixing or they may already be working on it. You never know.

Short of that, you could try 1) reinstalling the program and selecting 'repair' if it has that option [I think it does] or  2) do a fresh install- removing the program first then delete all the program files on your C: drive. Then install it again and see if the problem is fixed.

• goldbedr
    edited March 2016

It's good to know that I'm not just missing something obvious, at least. 

I'll try a reinstall and then try support, thanks!

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

Is this phone video by any chance? I'm asking because phone video can be recorded with the phone oriented wrong but the video is displayed 'correctly'. on the phone. The video is recorded in the same orientation as the sensor i.e. upside down but the phone sets a flag indicating the video is being recorded upside down and software that recognizes this flag will automatically rotate the video 180 degrees. Software that doesn't recognize the flag will show the video as recorded, upside down.

• goldbedr

It is, in fact, phone video. Is there any way to cut this flag from the file or tell HitFilm to ignore it? 

I had no idea that the sensor kept it oriented and just assumed that the file was simply written in the direction it was displayed. 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast
    edited March 2016

Actually if HitFilm recognized the flag you wouldn't be having a problem ;) That's not unusual though as most other NLE's don't recognize it either.

Normally I'd use QuickTime Pro for this because I've had it for years and I know it works but it's 30 bucks. Just for reference though all you have to do with it is load a clip then do a Save As. Since it does recognize the flag the video ends up oriented correctly and Save As doesn't transcode anything it does a direct copy which goes very fast and you end up with a clip that works right.

Luckily Mpeg Streamclip is free and works in a similar manner although I have not used it for this so I can't tell you if it recognizes the flag or not. If it does then great do a Save As and go on about your business. If it doesn't that's ok because there's a Rotate Video option under the Edit menu. You'll have to execute it twice to rotate a clip 180 then like before do a Save As to save a copy of the corrected clip.

Another note on phone video - Many phones record with a variable frame rate and no NLE likes variable frame rate video as it can cause all kinds of weird problems and audio sync issues. You can use MediaInfo to find out if your clips use a variable frame rate or not. Once installed you can right click any video file and select MediaInfo to find out all kinds of information about it. If your clips have a frame rate other than a standard frame rate (like what you see in the HitFilm project options) then it's almost certainly variable frame rate video. As an example 29.97 is a standard frame rate so that means a constant frame rate but odd rates like 30.66 or 31.23 or 28.98 are all classic signs of variable frame rate.

This video shows how to use HandBrake to convert clips to a constant frame rate. 

And this image, courtesy of NormanPCN (the thread this is in) shows some settings that make for a better editing experience. The most important one is enabling the Fast Decode option

Handbrake settings

Handbrake can rotate the video if needed but there's no GUI control for it. Instead if you look at the image you'll see Extra Options near the bottom with a box to enter a string of extra options. To rotate the video 180 you need to enter this in that box

-7 --rotate <3>

Umm ok so the forum thinks I want a heart. Well here's a link to a page with the right string to enter

http://www.ultrageek.com/?p=119

• goldbedr

Thanks for the awesome info! I did find the audio didn't seem to always be syncing right, so I bet that's the problem!