Laptop for Hitfilm

TTSProdTTSProd Website User Posts: 69

I decided I wanted to get a laptop because I have a lot of down time at work and thought I could use that time to work on my projects.  I ended up going with an Acer Predator G9-791 because I could get a deal on it through a friend and it is a beastly machine!  Here are the specs...

17.3' screen

GTX 980M with 4GB ram

Intel Skylake Core i7-6700HQ CPU, quad-core 2.6 GHz (3.5 Ghz TBoost)

32 GB DDR4 2133Mhz

512 GB NVMe SSD + 1 TB 2.5″ HDD

This laptop smokes my desktop (GTX 660ti, i7 3770k, 16 GB ram) by way more than I expected!  I did a head to head render with a heavy duty scene I've been working on and the laptop finished in 35 minutes and my desktop took 5 hours and 30 minutes to render the same scene at the same settings!

I highly recommend this laptop, but be ready for sticker shock because its not cheap!

Ken

Comments

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,911 Enthusiast
    edited March 2016

What a beast!

By the way, perhaps your drive setup plays a part when it comes to your rendering, as you use 2 drives in your laptop, and probably 1 (slow) hard drive in your desktop machine? :)

I'm also assuming RAM has to do something with it as well! I would love to see a benchmark project somewhere, so that consumers waiting to buy hardware for HitFilm knows what to expect, rather than a buyer's guide found on forum.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,218 Ambassador

There actually is an old benchmark thread on here using files from a Harry Potter tutorial. I think it was last used last month. See if I can find it. 

TTSProd, that's a pretty beastly beast. Similar to my current beast, but I have the 8GB 980m and four drive bays--two 256GB SSDs for OS/Cache and Programs/Cache with a 1TB HDD as a library drive and a 1TB SSD projects drive. Once one is willing to sticker shock on a laptop, may as well go big, right? 

Our lappys should do well for a couple of years. 

• TTSProdTTSProd Website User Posts: 69

@Kevin - I use an SSD connected via thunderbolt on my desktop for my projects.  I use the same drive connected to my laptop so I can continue working on something I started at home.  The scene I was rendering had only 2, 1080p video streams chroma keyed, it was particle simulators, 3d objects with motion blur ect, that was slowing down the rendering... you may be on to something about the RAM though!

@Triem - Wow! I thought my machine was a beast but  4 drive bays and an 8 GB 980m!?!  Colour me impressed!  At first I did not want to spend as much as I did, but I bought one before this and after the first few hours of use decided I was returning it because although it cost less, it wasn't worth what I paid.  So I spent more, definitely got what I paid for, and I'm glad I went big!