Solid background colour with text

Hi All,

I would like to know how to add a solid background to my text so as to cover text that is on a video.

Example, I made a video on another program some years back but I want to use it but cover the old text at the bottom of the screen.

Is there a way to select a solid background colour to take up the text box.

Comments

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,448 Enthusiast

Not directly.

Make a New Plane, cover the old text with that.

Then make a new Text Layer and put that on top of the Plane.

Order of planes in your composite shot from top to bottom will be Text, Plane, Video.

• Kircard2000
    Kircard2000 Website User Posts: 11

of course!!!!!!!

thank you so much :-)

Sometimes I concentrate on the problem without looking at the obvious.

I appreciate your time, cheers

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,448 Enthusiast
    edited March 2016

No worries. ;)

Parent the Text to the Plane (or vice versa) and if you need to move it about a little you only need to do it to one of them. Or you could make the pair of them a Composite and they'd be a single entity on the timeline. Inside that Comp you could add things like keyframed Opacity changes so it fades up and down (or do it to that single timeline entity; 6 of one, half a dozen of the other).

You could then duplicate the Composite in the Media section, give it a new name and edit the text in each version and slap the new one on the new place in the timeline for each place the text changes, move it around a bit if required and Bob's your Dad's brother. :)

• fin150
    fin150 Website User Posts: 6

but there is no way to add a background to the text you created? i want to add a solid background to text so i can key the text out and be left with a keyhole effect, but i can't find a way to have a black background for it...

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,233 Ambassador

@fin150: Are you saying that you want to see some other background -- either a solid color or perhaps another image -- inside the shape of the text?  To do that, you need to use the Set Matte effect.  @HitFilmSensei recently posted a tutorial on how to do this:

• Yeremyah
    Yeremyah Website User Posts: 1,000 Enthusiast
    edited June 2017

Thanks for that link @jsbarrett , I love @HitFilmSensi , he makes me laugh, I like his presentation style :)  And that's a good helpful tutorial.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,854 Ambassador
  • Yeremyah
    Yeremyah Website User Posts: 1,000 Enthusiast
    edited June 2017

Yeremyah gives @HitfilmSensei a soft karate chop to the arm as a "you're welcome" :)

• fin150
    fin150 Website User Posts: 6

@jsbarrett YES! thank you so much! this was exactly what i was looking for. 

• damienchew
    damienchew Website User Posts: 0

I'm making subtitles. But how do I choose to have backgrounds for the the subtitles? It is similar to having shadows/outline for texts, just that instead of that, I want those texts in a box-shaped background with the option for custom adjustments of that box's dimensions.

I do not want to manually adjust the 'box' dimensions for every line of subtitle texts I key in.

Thanks a lot if this is possible! Cheers..

• damienchew
    damienchew Website User Posts: 0

An example of what I wanted to create for my subtitle background. How to get it automated/customised?

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,233 Ambassador

@damienchew A similar question came up a while back. If I can find it, I will merge your messages with that thread so they’re not tacked onto a nearly-four-year-old conversation.

Long story short, there’s no easy way to pull this off, if it’s even possible. I played around with a method that I thought might work, but never got results that I liked. I might play a bit more if/when I have some time.