HitFilm 3

I hope there's hitfilm 3 because the editing workflow is unorganized. No editor in the world wants to continuously go back and forth on the trimmer to pick out clips, it's time consuming and unprofessional. We need folders and bins in order to organized the good clips from the bad ones. This will also help beginners who are just starting out a new career. Therefore, my plea is that hitfilm adds better workflow for editors. Please share this around with others, so they may fix the problem

Comments

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    You can add folders to the media panel by clicking the "new folder" button on the bottom left of the media panel.
  • MjlnerVFX
    MjlnerVFX Posts: 184
    I would say that the editing workflow in Hitfilm today is actually better that a lot of other softwares out there.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    I do think the editor needs to be enhanced but I voted no because then its going Sony to just release new versions every year instead of fixing and improving the older version.  They did a major update the other year to hitfilm 1 to add stuff and I think enhancing the editor could be a free update(I hope).  I opened a filmmaking book that broke down the differences with editors and they put sony vegas at mid tier and explained all the ones meant for large scale editing.  Instead of substantial improvements they've made minor ones and charging for new versions. I would not of invested up to Sony Vegas Pro 12 if it wasn't for hitfilm and if Hitfilm can start playing well with XML I wouldn't drop vegas.
  • Dewr
    Dewr Posts: 146 Enthusiast
    I;m hoping that in a future release, there will be a function to send and receive from FCPX..  I did ask during the Kickstarter, and was told that there aren't plans at the mo, but I hope they do in the future.
  • MichaelJames
    Well sending to FCPX specifically may not be on their list but if they allow for XML exporting then that would let you take it where you need it to go.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Hey guys - enhancements to the editor workflow is definitely something I'd like to see. Editing is a curious thing as it's very personal to each editor, much more so in my experience than compositing. Compositing requires fine detail as its core attribute, whereas editing requires speed. Different editors have very different methods for attaining that speed-of-thought workflow.
    XML has definitely been mentioned a lot since the Mac version was announced with the Kickstarter, so it's on the list but, as always, I can't say at this point if/when it'll appear.
    Sorry I can't be more specific!
  • DanConrad
    DanConrad Posts: 6
    Hitfilm 3?  I'm still waiting on Hitfilm 2 for Mac.  That is unless that want to bump the Kickstarter gig up to Hitfilm 3 for Mac
  • SimonKJones
    Good point, Dan! HitFilm for Mac is our priority at the moment. After that we can ensure that the Mac and PC versions stay in sync as we move forwards.
    We're still barely scraping the surface of what HitFilm 2 is capable of - we can't wait to see what Mac filmmakers will do with it once it comes out.
  • dazzafakt
    dazzafakt Posts: 14
    edited April 2014
    Hello, what about now - 9 Month after? Do you have a roadmap? what you plan for the Next Release? 
    Please vote for your favorite next Hitfilm Features
    https://hitfilm.uservoice.com/forums/238162-hitfilm-wishlist
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador
    The week BEFORE NAB is a terrible time to ask that question!
  • SimonKJones
    We don't generally announce stuff way ahead of release. Though we are really busy working on stuff. :)
    There's been a lot of behind-the-scenes work going on getting the Mac and PC versions all in sync, as I mentioned earlier in this topic, plus work to leverage our tech in interesting new ways. It all makes HitFilm a stronger platform moving forwards, which'll benefit everybody.
    Some of the stuff we're working on you can probably predict to some degree and some of it is going to be a surprise. As always, keep an eye on the blog as any news will be posted up there. Let's just say there's a reason we've been unofficially referring to 2014 as 'the year of HitFilm'.
  • Triem23
    *accusingly, finger pointed* Tease.
  • MichaelJames
    If we have to drop Mac to get hitfilm 3 out the door faster... I am completely not opposed to it. Its better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all right?
  • SimonKJones
    Yeah, but let's think about other people as well, right? ;)
  • Triem23
    Besides, dropping Mac would really tick off the Mac users, and lead to a backwash of ill-will across the 'net.
  • Dewr
    edited April 2014
    Michael, it took a long time to get a Mac version..  I paid my money on the Kickstarter to make it happen.
  • MichaelJames
    [quote name="Simon K Jones" post="40898" timestamp="1396439845"]Yeah, but let's think about other people as well, right? ;)[/quote]

Simon I'm thinking about all my fellow PC owners. It tears me up thinking of them missing out on anything... Plus when people go Mac... They knew they were paying more and would not have all the same software. Sometimes people have to fall on the grenade to save the group ;).

@triem23 well hitfilm 3 doesn't invalidate hitfilm 2.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    MichaelJames, we have decided to take you up on your offer to fall on the grenade, and have decided to drop the PC version of HitFilm so we can focus more on developing for the Mac.  Its was a noble gesture, which will benefit many.
  • I vote for XML support, would love to be able to tinker with the layout. I have two screens and it would be useful to have the media folder in one and the timeline on the other. I had that setup in an ancient version of premiere in an old XP machine.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    marblanko - you should be able to do that, by undocking either the Media panel or the timeline.  You can easily undock the panels from the interface to move them around separately.
    http://youtu.be/a37vIisYZ7E
  • MichaelJames
    @Dewr... first im mostly kidding.. You can see that I did back Mac.  Second you got exactly what you paid for.  Its just like the former 32 bit Hitfilm Ultimate users who are no longer supported with the 64 bit versions out now.  Wouldn't be the first software company to get 1 version out the door and then later bring that software to another platform.  Co platform development with the same # of people is no Bueno.
    @Axel You never push the money on the grenade. 
    @Tooshka I think that would be the case if they stick with a codevelopment release strategy, versus work out 1 and then do the other.  I mean how long did HItfilm 2 take to develop and then how long did it take to port it to mac without having to worry about pc at the same time.
  • Triem23
    Just for the record, the sales ratio of PC to Mac for 2012 (the most recent year I could find) was about 20:1. This is growth for MAC (at one point the ration was over 50:1), but MACs still seem to remain mostly niche for VFX/Photo/Audio work with the user base increasing for people who want easier integration with their IProduct phone and tablet.
    But, since the MAC user base tends to be very heavy into digital media, the MAC user base is certainly nothing for any aspiring VFX software manufacturer to ignore.... (Which, as a Vegas fan, makes Sony's continuing to NOT port Vegas to Mac inexplicable. I mean, they ported Soundforge, but not Vegas? Sony's been smoking behind the shed with the theater kids for too long.)
  • SimonKJones
    Yeah, the overall Mac:PC sales aren't directly relevant, as the portion of PC customers which are relevant to video are much smaller than the total, whereas the Mac situation is kinda the other way around. Though it all tends to be a bit anecdotal.
    While I'm not a coder and certainly don't pretend to understand the nitty gritty, Tooshka is pretty much on the money. The bulk of the challenging Mac work was front-loaded, and that's what the Kickstarter helped us accelerate. That initial hurdle has now been cleared, which makes future cross-platform development considerably simpler. This is something we're continuing to tweak and optimise, so that any development automatically benefits all platforms with a minimum of individual fine tuning.
  • Triem23
    Which is probably a big part of why Hitfilm renders via Open GL
  • FilmWorld
    FilmWorld Posts: 12
    I would like to see more duel monitor support.
  • MichaelJames
    @Film World I think you can drag windows around.  I never really set up my dual monitors to be just 1 program. I always had hitfilm full screen on 1 monitor and whatever else i was doing on another.  I wish i had my rig so i could test this... or just had my rig in general
    @Tooshka  
    First off, I am MOSTLY joking.  While my dislike of Mac has existed for 2 decades I am only kidding about immediately undoing the thing I spent good money helping to get done. If you take my internet rantings too serious you are liable to miss that Mac Backer badge across from my name.
     Second, while I am not a coder(any more) i do know its not a simple process to make something for PC and then bring it to mac.  A lot of the hardware is the same these days but the OS makes it difficult.  While I AM joking about dropping mac support or pushing mac users on the development grenade I AM serious that I do know focusing on 1 version would speed things up.  There is a reason why lots of software remains a PC exclusive for a long time.  I don't know if FXhome added more programmers or just repurposed their current programmers to knock the mac version out at a incredible speed.   Either way having a bunch of people gang fu 1 version at a time can save more time then having that bunch of people split in 2 and gang fu 2 versions simultaneously.  I've never programmed for Mac but i imagine that its easier to copy a finished product from PC to Mac then create 1 product on 2 platforms.  For hitfilm 3 or 2.5 I doubt they will have to start from the ground up for either versions but I'd still imagine fine tuning would go faster in a 1 at a time manner.  
  • MichaelJames

Third if Hitfilm plugin be ported to Davinci Resolve... Well my 2 favorite softwares can finally get married and have the beautiful babies that ive always dreamed they could have easier.  Resolve 11's scopes, precise CC tools and a proper full feature editor + Hitfilm Plugin.  While i'd rather the full software work instead of the plug in... I'd take my victories where I can get them.  Simon who can you call  to take some of the BMD guys for drinks and do some business during NAB?

• Dewr
    Now the groundwork has been laid, then both versions can be perfected together.
  • MarkOm
    MarkOm Posts: 63
    I would like to see the audio editor updated. with all my audio I will render it out, then edit it in sony vegas, then re import it into HF2
  • ivanhurba
    ivanhurba Posts: 26 Just Starting Out*
    MarkOm, why not the opposite? Vegas is an editor and better suited for audio sweetening. I would let FXhome concentrate in making Hitfilm a stronger contender against AE.
    Reading about Adobe CC today somebody said people could move to Fusion or Nuke, but the typical answer was that price was a problem. HF can grow steady getting users on the affordable side and pull the rug from under AE's feets. Customers are not happy with CC subscription method and the "no exit" problem. I don't mind paying now as I still have an offer, but once's gone in a year I ain't probably staying.