The Necromancer

KeeganKeegan Website User Posts: 294 Just Starting Out
edited June 2013 in Practical Filmmaking
What's up guys?! 
I'm super psyched to be here telling you about my new short film: The Necromancer.
Last August, I uploaded a film called "The Mesmer" based on Arenanet's action-adventure MMO, Guild Wars 2. It was and still is my most-viewed video and It was done entirely with Hitfilm!
Almost a year later, I am back at it. Though I used a lot of after effects and 3Ds max this time around, I still used Hitfilm: Ultimate substantially. Hitfilm is way more intuitive than after effects in a lot of respects. For that reason, I tended to open up Hitfilm when I was doing simple particle effects, lens flares and simpler comps. Having this program in my arsenal augmenting after effects and 3Ds max has been great for my workflow and I'm so glad I bought it. 
Anyway, here it is! 
http://youtu.be/nk4f-7NRZHQ
Far, far, far from perfect, but I am incredibly happy with it, given that I only gave myself a month to do it between being on other sets. However, criticisms are highly valued. if you didn't like it, let me know why!
...Which reminds me! This summer I am the VFX supervisor for an independent horror film called Hell at Heathridge. If you like amateur slasher films, you're gonna dig this thing. https://www.facebook.com/HellatHeathridge?fref=ts
EDIT:  People on the Youtubes seem to have some issues with the pacing. I know what they mean but can't quite pit it on why its so off. Lend me your movie-making eyes and help me out!

Comments

• fredclipsfredclips Website User Posts: 228
    Nicely done. Great looking castle in the distance in the first scene there.
    I really like you 'magic battle' effects. Both in this and in the earlier 'The Mesmer'.
    I enjoy the variety in offensive, defence and the different tactics employed. Not all magic fighting shorts (or movies for that matter) do that well.
    If I had to be critical it would be with the non magic based action. I found it just lacked 'punch' in the choreography and editing. I've trained in Martial Arts for many years and fight scenes are something I look out for an enjoy. They don't need to be realistic at all, but it is good to feel some energy or speed in those scenes.
  • KeeganKeegan Website User Posts: 294 Just Starting Out
    I know what you mean. Three of the people on scene (including me) had over seven years of martial arts experience a piece. It was less of our ability to control and more that the dinky sword the hunter/ranger was using was made of cheap Halloween plastic xDD
    However, I think we could have gone a bit faster and harder than we did with trickier cutting and speed ramping, as some people on Youtube and Reddit have suggested.
  • Red Eye VisualsRed Eye Visuals Website User Posts: 23
    Job well done! Very much so! 
    The castle is amazing, looks very "hand on" so the integration process on that one is just outstanding! 
    The sound effects are also very nice and that leads on to my question! 
    Where did you get all the sounds? 
    Once again, great job!
  • fredclipsfredclips Website User Posts: 228
    [quote name="Keegs" post="31307" timestamp="1372652942"]I know what you mean. Three of the people on scene (including me) had over seven years of martial arts experience a piece. It was less of our ability to control and more that the dinky sword the hunter/ranger was using was made of cheap Halloween plastic xDD
    However, I think we could have gone a bit faster and harder than we did with trickier cutting and speed ramping, as some people on Youtube and Reddit have suggested.[/quote]

The rangers sword looked impressive on screen. But Being dinky is a problem with good looking weapons. :)
    One of the next shorts my girls and I are making will have hand to hand and weapons as well... I know what I want to see in my head, will have to see if we can pull it off.
  • Jam Pot StudiosJam Pot Studios Website User Posts: 1
    Wow! The effects were really well put together, especially the cg elements.
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,839 Ambassador
    Loved it... it has it's issues but it was so much fun to watch.  :) 
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    Loved the kill shot! The whole thing was very well executed! BRAVO!
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    It's definitely the physical combat that is the weakest. I think it's a combination of the moves being too slow, and the editing being a bit too loose. Getting the camera in closer might have helped make it more intense.
    Corridor's entirely mental Blood Dragon video is worth watching for a combination of CG and physical combat:
    http://youtu.be/dnuJyJBM_J4
    The interesting thing about the swordfight in Blood Dragon is that you very, very rarely see an actual connection. The intensity is created almost entirely through the editing and sound work.
    Regarding the pacing in The Necromancer, there's two areas where I think it could be improved:
    - There's too much non-combat stuff, for what is essentially a combat/VFX video. This bogs things down a little bit with chatting and character stuff that isn't actually important or relevant to the overall piece.
    - There doesn't seem to be a structure or build in the fighting. It's a series of things that happen, but it doesn't feel like there's much ebb and flow - other than the final spell with the dagger.
    Simon- I totally agree. it does seem to feel like a turn-based RPG, especially with the magic-on-magic scenes. 
    As far as the sword-fighting goes, I see what you mean. If I were to shoot it again, I think it would still be challenging to capture the scrappy fighting style of my ranger character, but with closer angles and less actual connection, like you suggested, maybe I could get it looking better!
    I'm doing a similar film, VFX-wise, in August, so I'll take a lot of your advice for that!!
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    I'm by no means an action expert (it's something I really want to have a go at myself one day), but it does seem like you can craft an intense action sequence without needing much actual contact. As long as you have a couple of key contact moves thrown in at the start/middle/end, the rest of the fight can be implied through editing and sound.
    It's similar to VFX or location work, really - you do a big establishing shot or your big VFX intro, but then can cut to closer shots - the audience will automatically assume the big location/VFX are still there, even if they're not actively in the shot.
  • PhilWessonPhilWesson Website User Posts: 241 Enthusiast
    Exceptional work! I hace to step up my game!
    I'm sure you see a lot of these comments, but I'd love a breakdown on a few scenes.
    Also, so shooting tips. Are you using special picture styles?
    Simon- That actually makes a lot of sense and I think therein lies a lot of problems with my action scenes. Good to know for next time!!
    Phil- What do you mean by "Special Picture Styles"?