HitFilm update #4

KirstieT
KirstieT Posts: 1,086 Staff
edited March 2016 in Post-production techniques

It's that time again, and we've released another free update for HitFilm 4 Pro and HitFilm Ignite users! 

Here are some of the highlights: 
HitFilm 4 Pro - 
High DPI displays and OpenType fonts are now supported on Windows.
New optional checkerboard background in Viewer. 
Numerous interface enhancements.

HitFilm Ignite - 
Plugins now support NUKE by The Foundry.
Various fixes include End Credits Crawl in Sony Vegas.

If you'd like more information as to what update #4 includes, please check out the full list.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador
    edited March 2016

@KirstieT @SimonJones @CedricBonnier @Ady right now (about 30 minutes after post went live) the hotlink to the full update list isn't working--it's going to a "Create New Discussion" page?

EDIT Reverse the polarity? Of the neutron flow? A lil Pertwee there for you.... ;-)

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

Sorry about the broken link - not sure what happened there. Should be fixed now! I've taken the liberty of removing most of the posts about the link problem as it's no longer relevant. 

Enjoy the update! 

• Triem23

Pfffft.... Hitfilm has a function that is "henceforth known as 'reversing the polarity..." How could one NOT enjoy?! Plus bugfixes! I suppose all the people wasting GPU bandwidth on 4K monitors.will be happy too. :-)

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited March 2016

Re: "Renamed the H264 Export tab to MP4 for greater clarity"

Yes, but for people coming from Express you've just made them say "Where is the H.264 Export gone?"

As they're both short, how about "H.264/MP4"? ;)

• Har
    Har Posts: 401 Enthusiast
    edited March 2016

<SMARTASS MODE>
    Oh cool, for Windows 64-bit they fixed OS X Yosemite 10.10 & El Capitan 10.11 so no longer showing the wrong framerate for some videos!.....heyyyy, wait a minute.... ;-)
    </SMARTASS MODE>

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,197 Staff

@Palacono I'm sure they will be able to figure it out... and if you mouse over the tab there's a tooltip:

• Triem23

@Har >sarcastic devil's advocate mode< a Mac is just an Intel chip and AMD GPU. No reason one couldn't built a rig sideloaded both ways. That one guy is covered >normal mode<

@Palacono if they haven't noticed yet "H.264" export wrote ".mp4" files, then bless their unobservant little hearts.  3 Express users didn't get today's 4 Pro Update, anyway. 

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,435 Ambassador

@KirstieT @SimonJones @CedricBonnier @Ady; Congrats everyone on getting another update out so soon!

Please, feed the coders their biscuits.

(but seriously, coding is where the rubber meets the road)

• Palacono
    edited March 2016

@Triem23, but they want them to upgrade, right? ;)

@CedricBonnier You're sure? Have you seen the number of posts asking how to export files in format XYZ or ABC? Heck, have you seen some of the daft questions I've been asking and I've been Hitfilm 3 Pro for over a year? :)

Tooltips are cool and all, if you know they're there, but I didn't know that there was one for the filename of the current project until recently, and I bet I'm not the only one.

For example: I just checked and if you go directly to the little Disc icon, it tells me the filename and path almost instantly. Yay! But go to the File icon and wait a second - No Tooltip -  then go to the disc icon and.....nothing for over a second, then it pops up. I guess I've been moving the mouse away before it did that for over a year.... :(

Further experimentation shows that if you move from a tab without a Tooltip (Like Layer) to one with a Tooltip (Like Home), the time that it takes before the Tooltip appears is a lot longer than if you went there directly. So, if you went to something like File first, then every other Tab after that would appear to have no Tooltip if you didn't wait for about a second for it to appear. Which is apparently what I did some time ago and never saw one since.

Could you make them more 'in your face'? Larger fonts perhaps and always instantly pop up and with wide 'capture areas' around them? I wonder how many other things I've missed like that....actually, just checked: lots.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

Most users know of file types and not technical contents. This change probably came about from lots of support requests about, "how do I export MP4".

If one wants to be pedantic, and pedantic is my middle name, you have to list AVC with H.264. AVC being the MPEG and ISO names and H.264 being the ITU name. Express will likely switch to the MP4 name as well.  

I would like to thank FxHome for such responsive updates. This is the exception and not the rule. A couple of items I reported a month ago are in this update so I can really feel the changes. 

• Triem23

It is a good set of bugfixes and utility updates. Reversing the polarity will actually be quite useful. 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

I have been told that my polarity is reversed so this should help me. The negative of a negative is positive. :) 

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
  • Triem23

And tonight as I was placing reflection layers, reversing the polarity was, in fact, useful. 

• GeekWiz
    GeekWiz Posts: 2

How does the Ignite plugins work? And do I have to buy them? I really want a Nuke!

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

You can find out about Ignite here: http://hitfilm.com/ignite

Ignite is included as part of HitFilm 4 Pro, or you can buy it on its own.

There's no specific nuke effect - that image is there to celebrate that Ignite is now compatible with Nuke, which is high end compositing software from The Foundry.

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Posts: 924 Enthusiast
    edited March 2016

Is there a possibility of getting Ignite working in Scratch? :)

• Palacono

Any plans for an HF4 Express?

There are so many 'under the hood' buglets that have been fixed in HF4P, that both HF3E and HF3P would benefit from patches, but that's probably unlikely. (Like the improved Quad Warp effect)

• Pencilandinc
    Pencilandinc Posts: 140 Enthusiast

As Ignite is now available for Nuke, has anyone yet tried Ignite in Natron?

• TommyCampbell
    TommyCampbell Posts: 33 Just Starting Out*
    edited March 2016

I tried it and I get what looks like the Ignite icon watermarked on the viewer.

• TommyCampbell
    TommyCampbell Posts: 33 Just Starting Out*

The newly released Natron v2 seems to have fixed the issue with the Ignite Plugins showing a watermark. The HitFilm LUT plugin doesn't seem to work though. I only tried a few and they seemed to work now.

• Finally, on 1st April, 2016  a huge Hitfilm 3 Express update was released. It has a following changes in changelog: Renamed the H264 Export tab to MP4 for greater clarity. And that's it.

• StephansBilderwelt
    StephansBilderwelt Posts: 521 Just Starting Out*

time travel? 

• ShakeR
    ShakeR Posts: 5

I love the update for High DPI displays. From now it is much more fun to work with HF on a UHD - Monitor. Thanks  for that. . love it!