Cannot open hitfilm 4 project file

RichardBangRichardBang Website User Posts: 3

It was working fine a few days ago when I last did a render.
The XML in the file looks intact, and I can open it with other applications but it cant be opened by hitfilm. I get the error:

"Hitfilm 4 Pro cannot open 'trailer2-002.hfp'
The contents of the file cannot be read.

the file is here
http://www.obliterationgame.com/download/trailer2-002.zip

Comments

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,425 Staff

RichardBang - We are currently investigating your issue with this Project file, I'll update you when I have more information.

Thanks,
    Ady

• RichardBangRichardBang Website User Posts: 3

Thanks Ady.

Its kind of urgent as I was supposed to upload an updated video to our greenlight campaign today.

Thanks. 

RichardBang - No problem, but it's highly unlikely I'll have an answer for you by the end of the day. Sorry.

What happened to the Project, did it simply not load today? Have you edited the XML in any way at all?

Ady

• RichardBangRichardBang Website User Posts: 3
    edited March 2016

The project was working. I Rendered the image, saved the project and then left it for 2 days. I came back today and t refused to load. I haven't edited it and a made a copy before opening the copy. Trouble is that now I'd have to try and recreate all the edits I made.

The problem I really have is that this has shaken my confidence in HitFilm. The file's XML is fine and compares to the previous version that works fine. So its something in the file that causes a problem. If I carry on and make the edits again, am I going to find I cant open the project again in the morning.

Can I make a feature suggestion. Add an increment and save feature similar to that used by Maya. Its invaluable as it means there is a history of edits available should something go wrong.

ctrl-s save like now

ctrl-shift-s, increment the version number and save
    so trailer3.hpf becomes trailer3-001.hpf, then trailer3-002.hpf etc

RichardBang - There were some issues within the XML that we have managed to correct. I have the corrected file which I would like to send to you, would you be able to contact support here who can then send you a link to the file.

Could you give me any further information about what exactly you did to see this problem? As you can appreciate, leaving a project for a few days should not cause this issue. 

And thank you for your suggestions, incremental saves is a good idea.

Ady

• SelectorKSelectorK Website User Posts: 1

I have the same problem as the one mentioned above (and it's May, 2017) : Hitfilm 4 Express cannot open file "..." and it then says:   "The contents of the file cannot be read" - even though I created and saved it in Hit film 4 Express just moments earlier.  

Could someone please advise how to fix this. 

Thanks, 

Kyle 

• unknown_001unknown_001 Website User Posts: 149
    edited May 2017

I have this same exact problem, except it says that the project is 0 bytes. I don't know if that is fixable.......

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

@SelectorK You might want to directly contact support: https://hitfilm.com/support

@DIY_Film_Guy as stated in your other thread your project is probably toast. You can also try contacting support, however.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

If you have a PC, run CHKDSK on it. If your filing system is scrambled, then saved files can end up in never-never land. Happens with other programs too, as they trust the filing system to just work. Don't know if Macs have something similar.

Something Hitfilm could perhaps do to detect potential problems would be to have a 'Verify Saved Files?' option.

This discussion has been closed.