New Media Import with same file name issue

Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador
edited February 2016 in HitFilm

Hi

Version : Hitfilm 3 Express (Standard off the peg edition)

OP : Windows 7

found an odd thing, I wanted a plate from a video so I used the export frame, called it background.png and imported as media, nothing wrong so far, media came in and I could use it. Then I realised I wanted a different image of the background and so I opened up the new video went to export frame, and clicked on the old file name 'Background.png' and was asked do I want to over right, yes I did and so it let me. But this is where things went a bit odd. If I then re-import this into my project, it says it has done it but always shows me the original version, even through I have deleted this one from my compost shot and my media panel. It is like it has a proxy of the media and because it is the same file name it has not bothered to update.

Just to add, renaming the file in Windows, fixes the issue.

Can you repeat?

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff

Did you try right-clicking the file in the media panel, and Reloading it?

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

Right Click and reloading doesn't work. I reported this some months ago for HF3E and HF3P, but it had already been fixed in HF4P when I did.

Only solution is to save the project and quit Hitfilm, then reload both Hitfilm and the project. The proxy is not used (or rather: is recreated with the correct image).

Simply saving the project and reloading the project without quitting Hitfilm will not work, as it uses the Proxy again.

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador

AxelWilkinson no I did now do that, I deleted the one from media panel and then did a re-import, which gave me the result I reported above.

Palacono Interesting, I was going to test in HF4 but it got late last night.

edited February 2016

@Andy001z not sure how you're tagging people, but it isn't working.

See above in your post where the @ has not turned blue? The forum software doesn't recognise that you tagged either myself or Axel, so neither of use got a notification that you'd replied. I've complained about this (as well :)) before, but just type the @ and the name (spelt correctly) and the forum software picks that up.

If you've ever wondered why no one replied to your posts when you mentioned them previously,... that's why ;)

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador

@Palacono How about this one, work?

Thanks for letrting me know.

@Axelwilkinson PING.

edited February 2016

Yep, that worked. :)

Yes, you would think your way worked (as it's not explained anywhere), as it stops you spelling the name wrong (which I do all the time), but....nope. :(

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

@Andy001z  &  @Palacono  - Palacono has told me this before too about the tagging. I've recently had to resort to copying the name (so I don't misspell it), place the cursor between the A and n in Andy and type @A. Then move the cursor two spaces to the left and hit backspace to eliminate the extra A. I don't know why it stopped tagging properly but at least there's a work around. Did the work around work? Hello? Is anybody there? Helllloooo?!?!?! lol

@StormyKnight Nobody here but us chickens...

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

Whew! Thanks, @Palacono. I was starting to panic! ;^)

• 2Buckey2Buckey Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out

Hi :) This issue is still present in the newest HF3Express update. It is very annoying and all work with jpgs and modifying them in outer software and only reloading it in HT3E does not work... sad, because it is so basic and desirable functionality. Do you have any workaround?

Don't just reload the project inside Hitfilm, save the project, quit Hitfilm completely and reload Hitfilm, then the project. All the caches are flushed and it'll get the new versions of your media.

Fixed in Hitfilm 4 Pro, still there in Hitfilm 3 Pro, so unlikely it will be fixed in an update, probably something fiddly  and doesn't affect 99.99% of users 99.99% of the time.

This discussion has been closed.