Particles that emit light

JPS333JPS333 Website User Posts: 119 Just Starting Out

Hey hitfilm community, I am just wondering if it is possible to make it so that particles from a particle system or mobile emitter can emit light as if they  were a light them selves each particle as well as cast shadows and so on.    

As always, all comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you  

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,208 Ambassador

Nope. On one hand, that would be awesome, on the other hand I can see a few hundred moving lights slowing everything to a crawl. 

• JPS333JPS333 Website User Posts: 119 Just Starting Out

@Triem23 I didn't really think about the frame rate and everything, oh well. Thank you for the reply. 

• PaulHeshPaulHesh Website User Posts: 121 Just Starting Out

Maybe you could track a few mobile emitters and then attach a light to them. This would cause you to have a mental breakdown if you had hundreds of mobile emitters. lol

So depending on how many you need, could be done.

Hesh

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,208 Ambassador

Problem is, points can't be attached to particles. 

There's really not an easy way to do it in Hitfilm. There's a lot of different ways in Hitfilm to fake it. Depends on the specifics of the shot. 

• chibichibi Website User Posts: 257

How about attaching the particles and light to a null object and then animate the null? Typical workflow in 3d software.
    Is that possible in HF?

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited February 2016

@chibi you can easily do that, but you're still attaching the particle layer itself, rather than individual particles. You can attach the layer or an emitter to another layer, but not individual particles. That's how I did these back in the day:

Theoretically you could render out and then manually track movement, but that'd be a) pretty hard and b) probably in 2D.

Internally HitFilm does have an understanding of the 3D position of each particle, of course, but we don't expose that anywhere. To do so could open up some very cool options, but could also lead to all kinds of craziness...

It seems to me that practically you're going to want to fake this by having key lights inside specific clusters of particles, rather than trying to simulate every individual particle being light emitting. ie, create your simulation then observe where it passes close to objects which need illuminating.

edited February 2016

SimonKJones
    The samples you posted would be great for the next tutorial. :)

I meant that is it possible in hf to have a null move in 3d space and the particle and a few point lights follow exactly the path of the null in 3d space? So a few lights can fake the emission.

I did this a while back with an animated null with particle emmiters , lights parented to fake the emission on the house and grass. This is done lightwave3d.

I was wondering if its doable in hf like in 3d software. Particles moving in 3d space and also occluded behind 3d models. I haven't really touched hf particles much.

Yes, you can hang lights of a null and animate the null. Keyframe some intensity for flicker. I don't know if Simon needs to do a tutorial on that, since there are multiple tutorials covering that, including one of his above posts. 

I meant a tutorial about the general technique to accomplish what the OP asked.
    Using particles in 3d space that affects a 3d model that has a trick to fake emmision.
    The two videos above have tutorials? How were they created using only hf?