Good cheap Adhesive Tape for sets????

Hey guys I am wondering where y'all might know a good place to get some adhesive tape? The companies we have been going through are great but we need something cheaper but with good quality still. Any thought's?

Thanks, John

Comments

• StephansBilderwelt
    StephansBilderwelt Posts: 521 Just Starting Out*

For what would you need the tape? There are removables, non removal, with solvents, without......and so on and so on

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Also, where are you? If you're UK, then, being US, I don't think I could be of help--shipping costs would be a killer. ;-)

And, as Stephan said, what kind of tape are you looking for? Gaffe is different than Duck, which is different from masking... Now, I always assume we're talking gaffer's tape, but I'm also wrong a lot. ;-)

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

What are you using now and how much are you paying? findtape.com might be a good place to start and figure out exactly what you want then you can shop for price although they have pretty good prices too.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,152 Ambassador

Is this tape to be used like in the Future Learn course for masking? I guess you want something that peels off easy and does not leave a residue on the screen or camera.

• Messen
    Messen Posts: 85 Enthusiast
    edited February 2016

Tape especially duct tape is useless! Never ever use it or you bring yourself trouble! If you use it for something make sure you use only one type of tape! Never ever mix two types of tapes!

Just kidding :) I have at least 5 different types of duct tape in my "must have" bag, two sets of marker tape and some other tapes of various width and color. This bag is a mess as a matter of fact, but I never ever go to a shooting without it. Why is it so messy? Because the tapes are running out fast and I always buy the nearestcheapest of them.

• Aladdin4d

I wasn't going to say this but @Triem23 brought up shipping...........

The only way I know to hit a really good quality vs price point is to relocate to near a tape factory and purchase in bulk by the pallet.

Where I am everybody and I mean everybody is using Shurtape products not because of brand loyalty or the notion that Shurtape is the "best" but because Shurtape has a factory here that sells direct to local A/V and production companies as long as they order at least a full pallet at a time. Having to buy a full pallet at a time puts this beyond anybody except for profitable businesses with a healthy budget but it does cut the annual tape costs in half.

• StephansBilderwelt
    StephansBilderwelt Posts: 521 Just Starting Out*

You can buy a few pallets from myself.  

• johnsnelling
    johnsnelling Posts: 3
    edited February 2016

I mostly use the tape for holding down cables and a little for sound boards. I'm in the U.S and I am currently using Pro Tape. We love it but need to cut the cost a little

• taylorhudson
    taylorhudson Posts: 3
    edited February 2016

Hey John, So a little while ago I was in your shoes. We were using Shuretape which is great!! But we need to cut the cost. I ended up Finding gafftapes.com. They were a little cheaper but most of all they do free shipping with any order. The quality was still just as good as pro and for taping lights it works just fine for us. Hope this help’s you.

• Aladdin4d

If you're under $15.00/roll for the 2" x 55yd Pro-Gaff that's actually pretty good. It's going to be hard to find something cheaper that's the same quality 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

I've been using Gorilla Tape fir a couple of years, but I got a lot at a very good price point. Plus the Gorilla tape is about the only stuff I've used that sticks to macadam or asphalt, which is useful when one has to run cable from the football field across a track to back of bleachers, only to find out four hours later the producer had one run said cables right across the cheerleader zone. 

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff

Make sure you keep safety in mind when selecting a tape for use on set. Of course, how you are using the tape makes a difference too. But if you are taping down cables where people will be walking, or taping various things up, where they have a potential of falling, having a tough, reliable, non-slip gaff tape on hand is worth the extra cost. Its not worth compromising safety to save a few dollars on a roll of tape.