"Audio to Keyframes" like in Adobe After Effects possible in Hitfilm?

Hello there,

I'm on the verge of buying Hitfilm for a music video I intend to produce. The problem is that as far as I have gathered, Hitfilm doesn't have anything similar to the "Audio to Keyframes" functionality that allows composers in After Effects to automatically sync animations to audio levels. I'd very much like to make my music video react to the song audio, doing it manually in Hitfilm however seems pretty cumbersome to me.

Is such a thing possible with Hitfilm? Does Hitfilm support plugins that would do this? I really prefer Hitfilm for its pricing model, I'm not a fan of the Adobe Cloud subscription model. I do also love the particle simulator in Hitfilm, which I would not have available in After Effects, unless I bought Ignite.

What would you recommend?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,315 Ambassador

Hitfilm only has a few effects that respond to audio--Atomic particles and the Audio waveform/spectrum.

Hitfilm Ignite not NOT bring the particle engine into After Effects. That's only in Hitfilm Pro itself.

SInce I don't know exactly what you're thinking of keyframing, I don't know how cumbersome it is.

• InnateConceptInnateConcept Website User Posts: 5

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm gonna check out the Atomic Particles effect. I'm still very new to Hitfilm, so I hadn't found that feature yet.

Also good to know that the particle engine is not portable to After Effects.

I was planning basically for the effect to pulsate in conjunction with the bassdrum most of the time. Since it is a Progressive Metal song, the keyframing would be quite... well... complicated. It's not a simple 4/4 beat :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,315 Ambassador

If you have After Effects, looking at Boris Continuum might be a good idea. Most BBC effects have a "Beat Reactor" group to automate parameters via audio. Otherwise, I assume you were using expressions? Audio automation is stock AE isn't a technique I am familiar with. 

• InnateConceptInnateConcept Website User Posts: 5

I don't have a license for AE yet, I got the idea from:

It's basically just what I need: use the audio peaks to automate any kind of parameter.

• fin150fin150 Website User Posts: 6

so was there a way to get this to work? I am running into the same issue. I would like to have the highlights of my scene pulsate to the beat of the song. I know how to do it on after effects, but I no longer have access to a copy of that... is there even another program/plugin that I could use to get this effect?

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,047 Ambassador
    edited June 2017

If you don't have HitFilm Pro, the $50 Audio-Visual Pack for HitFilm Express contains the features you're looking for.

@jsbarrett yes, and no. The AV pack has audio spectrum, waveform and Atomic Particles, but Innate Concept wants to use audio to modulate "... any parameter..." and @fin150 wants to have highlights flickering, which sounds like having a glow or brightness effect tied into an audio parameter, which Hitfilm doesn't do. 

I wish Boris would convert ALL of BCC to be Hitfilm usable. 

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,047 Ambassador
    edited June 2017

There's always the low-tech way of doing it.  It involves manual keyframing, but with a few shortcuts based on a trick I heard about years ago.  It requires:

1. A way to play the music track via headphones. (Device A)
    2. A way to record a separate audio track at the same time, but on a different device than the one being used for playback. (Device B )

Set up Device B so that it can clearly pick up the sound of your fingers tapping on a hard surface, like a desk or table.  Start recording on Device B, then begin playback on Device A.  Tap along with the beat as the song plays.  Assuming you know the song well, this should go fairly smoothly.  :)

Once you're done recording, import this tap-only audio track into HitFilm, drop it into the comp where you're adding your effects, and turn on waveform visibility.  You should see each tap clearly in the waveform.  Adjust its timing as necessary to sync it up with the main music track, then mute that main track temporarily.

In the comp, set the keyframes for a single highlight pulse (or whatever you want to sync to the beat).  Copy those keyframes.  Paste them so they're in sync with each tap you see on the audio waveform.  Repeat for any other effects that need to be in sync with the beat.  Once you're done, unmute the main music track, and delete the tap-only track from the comp.

It's still a bit of manual work, but because you can see the beats visually, this should take a lot less time than trying to find the beats by listening to them in the full music mix, and the copy-paste process will also shave off a little time.

• fin150fin150 Website User Posts: 6

@jsbarrett yeah.... I have been doing something similar to that... I was just hoping that there would be a better, simpler way to do it... I know that hitfilm has a add on that you can buy that has a particle simulator that syncs with audio waveforms... but I can't afford to drop $70 on it, and I doubt that it would do what I want it to do anyways...