Picky FPS Problems (Audio and video out of sync)

I have come across an infuriating problem with Hitfilm - Its 30 fps or bust. If there is a slight drop to 29 or 28 fps, etc. in your video, your audio is still played at whatever fps you set the project on (in my case, 30 fps.) This causes the audio to become out of sync with the video, and as far as I know, there is nothing you can do.

The file type is mp4, audio type is AAC.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,949 Enthusiast

I'll guess your video is probably encoded in variable frame rate. Hitfilm does not work with this. I'm not sure what video editor does handle variable frame rate.

Maybe you got your video footage from screen capture software or some phones capture variable frame rate video. Either way, the only solution is to transcode the video to constant frame rate.

• MrSnuffleMrSnuffle Website User Posts: 18

Yeah, I recorded with the full version of Bandicam

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,302 Ambassador

Then, as Norman notes, you'll need to convert all your footage to a constant framerate file first. 

Two good choices for this are Handbrake (which only ouputs mp4) or MPEG Streamclip (which exports to a lot of things). Both are free. 

Mp4 is not a good editing format, and will probably lag, although @NormanPCN can give you settings to minimize this. Or, using Mpeg Streamclip you can output to other formats like ProRes or DNxHD, which are larger files, but edit more smoothly. 

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,301 Ambassador

The best software to convert your footage from Variable Frame Rate to Constant Frame Rate that I have used is Handbrake.

https://handbrake.fr/

Tell it the source video, tell it where you want the end resulting video, and then under the Video Tab, change it to Constant Frame Rate and tell it what Frame Rate you want it to be (30fps, 24fps, 29.97fps, etc).  Then hit the Start button.

For me, it works every time!

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,301 Ambassador

Triem23, Handbrake works so well for me, I haven't ever needed to try anything else.  Having said that, maybe I will check out MPEG Streamclip. Sometimes, my computer has issues editing smoothly with the Mp4 files, especially if I have to layer more than one in a composite.  Switching the files to ProRes or DNxHD might be a good idea.  Thanks!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,302 Ambassador

@senseihaynes Handbrake is great! Handbrake is actually what I use for final delivery.... I output my final project to an Image Sequence (if coming from Hitfilm) or DNxHD (everything else), then use Handbrake to make the Blu-ray/internet/mobile versions. 

Mpeg Streamclip just has the advantage of other output formats. 

Thanks @Triem23!  I will definitely check out MPEG Streamclip as well. My VFR problems come from the fact that I film with my cell phone. I was very frustrated until I found Handbrake which has been like a Godsend.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,949 Enthusiast

When using Handbrake to get the lowest decode overhead AVC file you can try these settings. The most important option is the fast decode option. Other items just make the editing more responsive while scrubbing the timeline. Still nothing scrubs as nice as an Intra codec like Cineform/DNxHD/Prores. AVC can be Intra but Hitfilm has some intermittent issues with these files from my tests. Choose a crf setting that preserves quality without being crazy. 16/17 should be fine. YMMV.

@NormanPCN... Thanks for the tips.  I will definitely try these tweaks on the settings.

• MrSnuffleMrSnuffle Website User Posts: 18

Yeah, I've heard of Handbrake and will definitely try it out, and @Triem23 , I only have two choices with Bandicam, .mp4 or .avi, and for some reason .avi doesn't work with Hitfilm 3 Express, despite it saying otherwise.