How do I apply the speed effect?

VuSuVuSu Website User Posts: 3

I'm really clueless about this. I've found this "speed" thing in the temporal file, but i've got NO idea how to use it.

I'm mainly wanting to use this for slow motion but making things faster wil help as well, thanks!

Comments

• VuSuVuSu Website User Posts: 3

Oh, and just to clarify, i'm using Hitfilm 3 Express, the free one.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,217 Ambassador

Check out this thread, which covers two ways of changing speed. This discussion started in Hitfilm 2 Ultimate, but everything is the same in Hitfilm 3 Express. 

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/4088/slow-motion/p1

I'm just not feeling up to typing out tge full explanation at 530 am. 

• VuSuVuSu Website User Posts: 3
    edited February 2016

Thanks, but I don't see this "value" tab that has numbers on it. All I see is that thingy where you drag that point in the middle to either the left, or the right. STill confused ;_:

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited February 2016

@VuSu - If you left click on the number to the right of the slider you can enter any value you want from -20 to 20. You can also left click and hold over the number and move the mouse left or right to change the value. There is no value tab per se. Just remember the control is very touchy so if you want the video 50% slower enter .50 in the number area. 1.00 is the default setting and 0 stops the vid altogether. A setting below 0 ends up playing the video backwards.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast
    edited February 2016

I just tried to use it for the first time and it's not intuitive, even when you follow the multiple explanations of making a composite first, then applying the speed to the composite to avoid getting black bits at the end of your video, or whatever.

Aside from that, I'd bet you'd get fewer questions about it if the Effect used 100% for normal speed instead of 1.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

@Palacono - Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve on this effect. I don't mind the black sections as I've worked around them by exporting the video and bringing it back in to do any trimming. But something like: -100% to 0 to 100% might make it a little easier to understand. There's only so much you can speed up or slow down a video before it becomes ridiculously unusable.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,217 Ambassador

@StormyKnight @Palacono hence the new Rate Stretch tool in 4 Pro, yes? 

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

@Triem23 ...maybe. 

No keyframes and thus no speed ramping with rate stretch. Also, rate stretch and Speed will not mix or play nicely with each other. Last time I tested. Speed does frame blends, even speed > 1.0. Rate stretch never seems to frame blend. They both need options to be visually compatible with each other.

For crying out loud, I am jusr going to do a **** tutorial. I know we're all tired of typing up directions for Speed.