Dr. Fnord's Personal Movie Wall down at the Local(ized) Snafubar & Grill!

DrFnordDrFnord Website User Posts: 110 Just Starting Out

So I've uploaded a few videos to YouTube through HitFilm and also opted to send them to the Movie Wall; I know they aren't super awesome but just how awesome do they have to be to make it there?

Is there any criteria that I should be aware of?

Here are links to what I've posted so far in case they never made it to you for some reason:

Feel free to critique them. I know there are plenty of issues but I'm sure there are probably things I don't know about.

Thanks for everything you do!

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

FXHOME had problems with spam and all kinds of test submissions to the Movie Wall so unfortunately things changed. What's left is basically a  hand picked "best of" compilation

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/7168/missing-show-featured-only-toggle-on-movie-wall

The best thing to do is just what you've done - start a thread where you can showcase your work!

Deep Space Skull feels like it needs a Bruce Campbell cameo :)

• DrFnordDrFnord Website User Posts: 110 Just Starting Out
    edited February 2016

Thanks for the quick response Aladdin4d! 

Pretty much like the Top Row at ZBrush Central.

Yeah too bad Bruce was busy when this was in production. ;)

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

Oh hell, now I got an itch to watch me some Army of Darkness...

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,709 Ambassador
    edited February 2016

Nice job stretching that clip of the driver in the car!  Well done.

(nice track with the Moody Blues, btw)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,225 Ambassador

Like Aladdin said, spam issues have reduced to Movie Wall to hand curated selections. Just change the name of this thread to something like "DrFnord's Illuminated Videos" and keep this active to showcase your work. Many of us have our own threads for that. 

Your VFX composite from the Futurelearn class came out nicely--plus, you education Mr. Saint John Walker. 

Alien Artifact is sweet, but could use some Light Wrap to take it over the top. 

Third one--well, "Klatui, Verada, Necktie! Nickel. Noodle. Definitely an 'N' word..." 

Now I've got an itch to see it for the first time Norman! It's one of those movies that kept slipping by somehow...

Thanks Norman! Yeah, now I've got an itch to pull out my long rested vinyl, in search of In Search of the Lost Chord!

Hey Triem 23 Skidoo, thanks for the lofty title suggestion...

I'm thinking something like Dr. Fnord's Toy Movie Wall...

Or Dr. Fnord's SnafuBar & Grill?

I've got quite a few videos parts laying around; I could always stitch a few together  and call it Dr. Fnord's Monster...

Dr. Fnord's Lucid Dream Park?

Thanks for the kind words. I'm finally beginning to get HitFilm to do some of the things I want it too and I finally made a break through in solving a few of the conundrums that were blocking me from importing my 3d models correctly. 

Here's a couple of videos; they're not done in Hit Film though. I recorded them last year in ZBrush and then polished them off in Sony Vegas 9  and did the music in Ableton Live 8. I am going to try to start putting  out at least 1 video a week .

Thanks for the suggestion of using LIght Wrap; that sounds like a great suggestion!

I looked up "Klatui, Verada, Necktie! Nickel. Noodle" and watched that scene and now I'm definitely itching to watch Army of Darkness!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,225 Ambassador

No problem. :-) 

To change the title of the thread, go up to the title bar up top. You'll see a gear/cog icon. Click that and you can edit the thread title. 

I like Snafu Bar & Grill. 

edited March 2016

This week's video isn't last weeks' lesson (from VFX for Guerrilla Filmmakers) ...yet;

These short vignettes are part of a series of video scenes that were among my first Hit Film Experiments.

I was having various issues importing my own models into the program,

Which is why I rendered the Star Jumpers inside ZBrush and then attempted to pump life into them with VFX (as well as UV FX!)

Thanks again to Glenn Patterson and his amazing Greeble Generator. I hadn't gotten his Pro version yet when these models were sculpted.

The music is one of the many rough sketches I've had kicking around for a few years; I named it Dubba Bubba. 

The name of the video is Extra Space:

edited March 2016

For the 3rd  week of VFZ for Guerrilla Filmmakers I cloned  myself to be my co-pilot. 

Hell! I was already the  Writer/Director/Cameraman/Grip/Best Boy/ and  Snooty Reviewer, so I might as well!

Harrr.

Here's Lost Weekday:

And here I am flying my very own mirrored Light Jumper (actually I look like I must be in a Google Ship since I don't seem to be doing much piloting to speak of!

This one gained the moniker Chrome Star Jumper:

The space shots remind me of the old Mind's Eye videos, which is a good thing. The cloning shot is clever, indeed. I think I see where you bring in your second clip. If you did what I thinks you did, you got tricksy.

When exporting my own models for Hitfilm I've had best results in OBJ. 

Thanks Triem Skidoo! 

Haven't seen the Mind'sEye videos...yet...

Yeah the tricksy part was duplicating the passenger part of the video and then masking the passenger's head and animating it to be in the shot as the car pulls into position.

I've only tried OBJs so far.

Some of the things I don't understand or know yet:

1- What file size is too large [i7 4770 processor 12G DDR3]?

2-How to create Groups. Sometimes my models have several Groups and each Group has a multitude of Parts like say 60 parts named 5843721  each part being a single Polygon.

At other times 1 Group will encompass the entire model.

As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be any reason, let alone rhyme, to the whole business...but I'm often wrong, so if you have some kinda clue to the Inner Workings of this part of the HFP Multiverse, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

(I think I can hear you say "...first of all upgrade to Pro 4..." but my response to that is "Know where I can get a JOB?" A JOB with or without  an OBJ would be extremely helpful right now...in fact they may shut the Power off before I get this sentence finished! Whew!...made it! ;p

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast
    edited March 2016

The Mind's Eye 1990

Beyond the Mind's Eye 1992

The Gate: To the Minds Eye 1994

Odyssey Into the Mind's Eye 1997

@DrFnord As @Triem23 said your space shots being reminiscent of the Mind's Eye videos is a good thing. The fact that I knew exactly what Triem23 was talking about and had the links to them? Well the jury is still out on that one.......

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,709 Ambassador

@Alladin4d Man, that stuff takes me back!  . . .  Cranston-Csuri, Pacific Data, Post Perfect, Robert Abel . . .

I know it doesn't look as compelling now, but those were the heady days of CGI when "anything" was possible.  (And we found out that just because you can fly the camera inside a logo, that doesn't make it good.)

@Stargazer54 Enter Copernicus. (Wasn't he Polish?)

Fun; the narrator reminded me of Firesign Theater.

In the credits it said that Todd Rundgren did additional animation...the Todd Rundgren?!

He's not a sausage too is he, or is that just Copernicus? ;)

Yep the Todd Rundgren

• NXVisualStudioNXVisualStudio Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 687 Ambassador

Lol @1:12

what the hell did I just watch? :')

@NXVisualStudio Well @Stargazer54 did warn you......

"those were the heady days of CGI when "anything" was possible."

It was a strange time. Big hair bands and Margaret Thatcher were out, Kurt Cobain was alive, Bush 1.0 and Boris "Give me a drink" Yeltsin were presidents, Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy and Steve Jobs was funding Pixar and trying to make NeXT workstations that well, actually worked. He never really accomplished that goal.

NXVisualStudio  I believe Todd had his own spawn swimming upstream; maybe he's just used to it launching that far and it was such an everyday thing that it didn't seem like something that it might bother some people. ;D

@Aladdin4d I had no idea he did computer graphics. I'm not as big a fan of Rundgren's as I once was. I think my favorite album is the first one I bought back in 1973: A Wizard/A True Star.  The cover of the album was on that cube at the beginning of this video.

The first side (A Wizard) is an incredible soundscape of little songs that flow together. Most of them  brimming with humor and experimenting with synths. This song would fit in with side 2 which I didn't listen to until a friend started playing it when he came over. His production of XTC's album Skylarking was amazing as well as Steve Hillage's album L.

His very first job as a producer was We're an American Band by Grand Funk Railroad!!!

Much of his stuff I didn't much care for but there was enough that was Genius  for me to have a special space in my Heart and Mind for the guy. 

Thanks for the links!

Here's one of my favorites of his; he's such a clever guy!

@DrFnord Well ... that cut was ... something  . . .I had never heard before.  Very quirky, but I agree that the Todd was a visionary of sorts.

And yes, Rundgren was big into the Toaster.  (So was/is Dick VanDyke and Penn & Teller.)

@Alladin4d That Toaster 2.0 "Paradigm Shift" video is a REAL blast from the past!  Still have my Amiga 2000 with a 50MHz accelerator card all Toaster ready. 

Wound up with an SGI 4D70 and Wavefront at work and never got around to dropping coin for the Toaster.   However, the Toaster gave us Lightwave and Babylon 5, and proved that VFX for television could be inexpensive and produced quickly.   Between that and Microsoft buying SoftImage and porting it to NT, that pretty much spelled the end of the high end CGI market.

But to bring this back around to HF (which is why we are all here), I constantly have to pinch myself that I now have the hardware and software power of a Flint or Flame sitting on my desktop at a fraction of the cost.   The Paradigm Shift continues.

@Stargazer54 There is a room in my basement I like to call The Museum (my significant other calls it my garbage dump) with a A3000, a GVP G-Force 040 @ 28 Mhz and an OpalVision main board because well, I just had to be different and not get a Toaster. Or it could be because Commodore in its brilliance designed a case that wouldn't take a Toaster "as is". Don't really remember for sure now ;)

@Alladin4d Yeah, I remember people cutting a slot in the top of the A3000 case just to get the toaster to fit.

@DrFnord Apologies for hijacking your thread.  Fell free to throw is out at your pleasure.

edited March 2016

@Stargazer54 I'm sure Dr.Fnord can handle a hijacked thread. It happens all the time here. ;-)

Man I remember my excitement at the ol' Video Toaster. Now, of course, I have my excitement at Hitfilm 4 Pro, which, for $400 gives users the power of a couple of million of dollars of gear from the Mind's Eye era as well as doing things those artists couldn't even have dreamed of then...

Not Mind's Eye, but from the late 90's...

Planetary Traveller was one of those "important" videos since it's the first time one of these CGI vids had been entirely produced on consumer equipment (The artists worked in their home studios while the final render farm was 12 MAC laptops). Also a nice showcase for Bryce. ALSO notable as being done in Bryce 2 (Bryce 3 is the one that added animation controls), so animations were calculated via spreadsheet, then values manually incremented and setting for the frame saved! Still looks **** good, and some of these scenes would still hold up to current standards with higher-res renders.

@Triem23 Cool I didn't know the "trivia" behind Planetary Traveler! Nickman directed the original Mind's Eye so in a way this is the real sequel.  While we're at it here's the sequel to Planetary Traveler, Infinity's Child.

If this keeps going we really should let DrFnord have his thread back and start a Vintage CGI one.

@Aladdin4d There's a couple of chapters on making Planetary Traveller in the books "Real World Bryce 2" and 4. ;-) Strangely I've never watched Infinity's Child.

I still have Bryce 7, but lost my activation code. I always liked Bryce and it's actually still useful as hell for certain tasks. If only one could turn off that "Bryce Horizon" I'd use Bryce all the time for skybox wraps.

@Triem23 @Aladdin4d That's some trippy stuff!

Once the bean counters figured out you could save money with CGI we are  now left with set extensions, face replacement, full body replacement, old actor age regeneration, dead actor insertion/resurrection, crowd augmentation, hordes of CGI Zombies and of course, Explosions (lots of explosions).

Thank you, Commodore 64!

@Stargazer54  No Worries! I feel honored by all the activity!  There has been some great stuff shared.  (I can easily imagine Penn & Teller, but Dick Van Dyke?! )

-also @Triem23 @Aladdin4d  I was very late to the Computer Scene (didn't get one until 2007!) I was spending all my money on musical instruments and recording equipment. 

I've dreamed of video production for years but the things I wanted to do weren't very attainable yet for a starving artist. I'm very excited about Hit Film!

It's great to get all of this backstory filled in like this; thanks guys! Really love Planetary Traveler and Infinity's Child! Not only are the Graphics awesome but so is the music!

Dick Van Dyke's hobby was VFX as far back as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Back then he bought some of the same gear used to make the movie just so he could play around with a green screen at home. He was a pretty early adopter of the Video Toaster and got to be pretty good with Lightwave. After the Amiga died he just moved on to PC's.. He ended up doing a CGI shot for his show Diagnosis Murder and did some animations for a Dick Van Dyke reunion show. Here's an article covering some of his work.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/usvsth3m/how-dick-van-dyke-became-5244602

He also pitched for Newtek in a promo video for the Flyer and at a Siggraph back in 2004. The Flyer added ....wait for it.....digital non linear editing to a Toaster! Can you believe it?! Isn't that amazing?! Back in the day it was. Most of the whole set up lives on today in NewTek's Tricaster line. Here's another promo for Lightwave and the Flyer complete with Dick Van Dyke

I would imagine there's video posted of his Siggraph talks but I don't know of any off the top of my head.