Depth of Field

KoDutyKoDuty Website User Posts: 111
edited February 2016 in HitFilm

the Focus Distance of Camera is so bad. Maybe it's the worst part of Hitfilm. When I turn DoF on, everthing is blur, I tried to change to Focus Distance but no number can make the thing I want to Focus be unblur.

I just find out the distance that make the thing I want be less blur, but still super blur.

Hitfilm should add focus point in 3D view (like Fusion) to be easier to find out the focus distance

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff

The focus distance can easily be determined by checking the position of your camera, the position of the object you want to focus on, and working out the distance between the two positions. Then set the focus distance to that.  

Of course, the easier method in HitFilm 4 Pro is to use the new Camera targeting option, and select the layer you want to focus on: 

• KoDutyKoDuty Website User Posts: 111

Oh so the focus distance = distance between cam and target? :O I thought it has no meaning :3 What does the Blur mean? increase it means more blur?It's like Aperture?

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    edited February 2016

Yes, Focus distance is the distance from the camera to perfect focus. Blur changes the amount of blur that is applied in out of focus areas. 

Basically, in comparing HitFilm cameras to actual cameras:
    Aperture = Aperture
    Zoom = Zoom (the angle of view, or focal length of your lens)
    Focus Distance = Focal distance, or the distance from your camera to the intended subject.
    Blur = an extra control, to give you further power over the blur used in out of focus areas.

Note that the values used buy these controls aren't directly equivalent to the same real-world values, but the function of each is the same.

I tried the Focus Distance Layer, but it seems bug. The cam will make everything blur if the Focus Layer is too close. Actully it's not too close, just close, but everything becomes super blur

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

Try resetting your camera and start again. I've been using the new camera controls and can say they aren't buggy. 

Once you set your focus distance (point) the two controls to look at are Aperture and Blur. Leave Blur at 100% for now. 

Aperture is going to set the depth of the blur. Lower Aperture means more areas remain in focus, Higher Apertures mean more areas are going to blur out. 

Blur determines how blurry the Blur is. 

So set your focus point first, then adjust Aperture till you have the depth you want, then adjust Blur amount. 

Note that, like a real camera a higher zoom will make the focal plane shallower. Also being closer to the camera will make the focal plane shallower. 

for example, the cam is placed on a biplane, near the fan,  and I want to focus the pilot (3D model) and blur everthing after/front of him (the tail and the plane's part closer to camera than the pilot), how much Aperture and Zoom and Blur I should set?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

Beats me. I don't know the sizes of the models. Place your camera, then parent to the plane. Put your focus point at the pilot's eyes and parent it to the model. THAT is your focus point, not the center of the model layer. 

From there I would probably crank my blur up to 200-300%. This is too much, but it will let me see what Aperture is doing. Adjust Aperture until the pilot is in focus but the tail isn't, then back off the blur. 

omg it's awesome! I made it! DoF is the best thing! :3

This discussion has been closed.