slight upgrades to work computer for better use in hitfilm

Hellllloo

So my work computer is pretty basic but I want to add a little hardwear to make it a wee bit better in hitfilm/photoshop/lightroom etc

current specs:

-i3 3240 3.4ghz (suprisingly pretty darn good for an i3)

-intel hd 2500 integrated gpu :(

-4gb ram (will definitely add more)

-120gb ssd

NOTE: I am unsure of the PSU but guessing it to be around 350-400 watts

so because this is work computer which was new last year, I can't really ask for a new one, so it's out of my pocket. budget around 100-200 US$ possibly more if you catch me at a crazed moment.

What would you guys think to be the most important upgrade other than obviously ram?

I'll give my thoughts up until the point where it would make sense to get a refurbished workstation and see if anyone notices

1. either 4, 8.. maybe even 16gb of ram

2. upgarde to i5(might not be worth like an upgarde to i7 would be)

3. larger/faster SSD( maybe another 120gb ssd just to scratch on)

4. nvidia 750ti (from what I've seen the power consumption is under 70 watts at max so I probably wouldn't need a new PSU with this)

5. something else way better than I could possibly imagine

Comments

• and also i planned on combining hardwear upgrades too.. so it could be 4gb of ram and a 750ti or something like a dat

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador
    edited February 2016

That Intel 2500 is under minimum spec for Hitfilm. GPU first, RAM second, more storage third, CPU last. 

• @Triem23 do you think a 750ti is a good enough upgrade?

I don't work with that many particles.. and I don't think I can wait for pascal to see what it does to the lineup/prices

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

The 750 is the current sweet spot for power/price, and since the Intel isn't up to spec it's the best choice for you. Hopefully that leaves you enough budget to get up to at least 8GB ram. 

• sdk7
    sdk7 Posts: 23 Just Starting Out

I have similar specs:   i3-4150 3.50.ghz,  8gb ram,  and a GeForce GTX 750ti.  For the most part it works great!  but it starts to slow  down when I have a lots of composite shots and effects.  but you could always use proxies to make run better.     

I recommend to get a 450-500W psu, if you decide to get the 750ti.

• @sdk7 have you measured your powerdraw at the wall? Or did you have issues with a no name psu?

• sdk7
    edited February 2016

Well the last pc that I bought had a 350w psu.  I  bought a video card that had a minimum requirements  of 350w  psu. I decided  not to change the psu.   the video card got damage  a month later after I bought it because the psu was not giving enough power to it.

With the 750ti  I am not sure was the minimum psu requirements. I think it is 350w or 400w.  I have  a 520w cheap psu that i bought .  It seems to work good. Had it for a year and no problems so far.

the psu that comes with the pc are not good at all. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out

@sdk7 that's because the quality of it wasn't high enough. a single gpu + cpu system with a 750 ti wouldn't draw more than 200W from the socket, and if it was a 80+ unit it would probably be a bronze, or lower quality than that if it really did damage your system.

200 * .8 = 160(W)

(your most likely total draw from the psu itself, not socket)

what's more important than watt is the amount of amps on the +12V rails. the 750 ti requires at least 20 amps, so either the psu was defective, or it didn't meet specs of the gpu.

the reason manufacturers list a higher watt psu is because there's a higher chance of it not going to fail with their components. obviously a pre built pc with a 300W psu isn't a good idea, since they're designed to work with that system, not upgrades to it.

a good 300W psu would do just fine, quality matters. i have absolutely 0 experience with hitfilm other than some editing which carried over from editing in premiere, so it wasn't hard to adjust. 

however, don't say that you need a minimum 400W psu for a system that weak, that's misinformation.

--

topic: im personally trying to figure out how much power i need to run hitfilm well, and honestly going back and forth all the time between several components, and i still cant decide. im planning to wait until the new gpu's come out, which i've done the research and should be in a few months. im sure that im overthinking this though. i don't think everyone is using their systems to their full potential, that's probably the minority.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

You could always go for a good power supply calculator :)

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

@KevinTheFilmmaker - You're right making sure the 12v rail can handle the load is very important but that usually means going with a unit that has a higher overall wattage rating and oddly you can usually get it at a lower price than a lower wattage unit. Here's a decent 430 watt unit for $29.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H33SFJU/?tag=xov-20

While a similar quality 300 watt unit is $52.59

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SS-300ET-80PLUS-Bronze-ATX12V/dp/B00MB3H0SE/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455827174&sr=1-2&keywords=Seasonic+SS-300ET+300W+80PLUS+Bronze+ATX12V+Power+Supply

• sdk7
    edited February 2016

@KevinTheFilmmaker I agree. What I should have said was a decent quality   PSU should be plenty.   In my case I went for a  cheap off brand much higher watt PSU. because that was what was available a that time for me. 

As for Hitfilm I think what @Triem 23 said is a good way to start:  GPU first, RAM second, more storage third, CPU last. 

• hmmm i just checked my psu and it doesn't look too promising

i maybe looking for a refurb workstation.. at this point

• soo new project.. maybe, because i like building computers?

what would you guys build or buy (desktop wise) with less than $500 budget? not counting OS or monitors

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sXwf6h
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sXwf6h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($146.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0556-B 39.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($9.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($16.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $463.90
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I'd probably throw another 8gb of ram into also but wanted to see how good of a build I could get for under $500

• also, good looking color schemes get extra points.. since i'd probably go with a windowed case to give coworkers more stuff to talk about in my office than they already do.

• No one cares but..

I built a little i5 skylake pc for the home and took my i7 5820k and friends to work with me