(Re-)Naming of composite shots

Hi,
I put a clip in the editor, then made it into a composite shot. Later on I renamed the composite shot to give a more useflul name. The editor, however still shows the original name of the composite. I find this confusing. I think the editor ought to update the name. Or is there a reason behind keeping the old name?
Thanks.

Comments

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast
    What you changed is the the name of the actual composite shot as a media. On the timeline, each clip has a second name, which when you first place it is the same as the name of the media, but can be changed independently from it. This is useful for example if you use a composite shot more than once on one timeline, and want to name each instance independently to reflect what this instance of the composite shot does on the timeline. If changing the name of the comp shot itself would change the name of all its appearances on the timeline too, this wouldn't work anymore.
  • RNick
    RNick Posts: 27
    Hi Robin,
    Thank you. It seems like I cannot follow you here. When I am in the editor the composite shot I was talking about has the name it got when I first made the clip on the timeline into a composite: "deatail speaker DSC00269.png Composite Shot". In the properties editor of the actual composite I renamed it to "detail speaker comp". In the editor the name-change was not reflected.
    When I go back to the editor I can right-click on the comp and choose "Composite Shot Settings". I can rename the composite again and the name will change - but only for the actual composite, not the clip on the editor timeline.
  • Majahr
    Majahr Posts: 571 Enthusiast
    Hi.
    Yep, this seems to be a bug:
    1) Import an image
    2) Drop it on the editor timeline
    3) Make a comp shot and name it
    4) The clipinfo in the editor is updates = fine
    5) Go to the comp shot
    6) Rename it
    7) Go back to the editor
    8) The clipinfo still displays the old name = bug!
    Regards,
    Marc
  • Robin
    edited June 2013
    I can rename the composite again and the name will change - but only for the actual composite, not the clip on the editor timeline.

Yes, this is working as expected. A clip on the timeline has a name of its own, which is not necessarily the same as the media the clip contains. So you place a comp shot on the timeline (which you essentially did when transforming an image to a comp shot), and the clip on the timeline has the same name as the comp shot. But from now on, the clip name and the comp shot name can change separately. Rename one, and the other's name will not change.
    In other words: A clip on the timeline IS NOT the media itself, it is a clip which CONTAINS the media. The media (in this case the comp shot) has a name, which the clip on the timeline containing the media will inherit when initially placed. Clip and media are permanently linked, no matter what names they have, so you can name the clip differently from the media. This is because often structuring the media panel requires different namings than structuring a timeline.

• Majahr
    Majahr Posts: 571 Enthusiast
    ..but should a compshot (name) shouldn't be also permanently linked within the editor?
    Regards,
    Marc
  • Robin
    The comp shot itself is permanently linked. But imagine you have a comp shot which contains several things, which you want to use separately in another timeline. So you drop in the comp shot and split it so you have the several things on their own. Now, how do you know which clip is which part of the comp shot without having to jump to that timecode? You give them describing names so you can see at a glance what's in the clip you're looking at. This would not be possible if clip name and media name were linked, because then you rename one and all other clips of that comp shot get renamed as well, you can't rename them separately, and you can't know which one is which.