Call Of Duty Editing

Hi there. 

I downloaded Hitfilm Express a while ago and im still learning the kinks and techniques. 

I do edits for Call of Duty youtube channels for friends but i normally use Adobe After Effects  and i have no clue on how i would make the same quality on Hitfilm.

Does anyone have experience in making Call of Duty montages in Hitfilm? ill put a link that shows more or less what i want to do. i just want to know if it is possible in Hitfilm.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador
    edited February 2016

Only real caveats are preparing your footage and setting up speed ramps. 

Most screen capture software is variable frame rate, which makes Hitfilm unhappy. You'll want to bounce your footage through free software like Handbrake to convert the footage to a constant framerate, or, even better through free software like MPEG Streamclip to convert your footage to DNxHD at a constant framerate. You'll have larger files, but they will edit more smoothly. 

The speed effect in Hitfilm 3 Express is a little counter intuitive. Copy the footage you want to speed up/slow down into a Composite shot, then drag this composite into your main timeline and add the Speed effect. Finally, trim the end of the Composite Shot. 

Otherwise this tutorial covers the basics of editing. 

That CoD montage you showed is, honestly, about as basic as editing gets. Cut, cut, cut, sped up shot, cut, cut, cut. Hitfilm is capable of much more than the demands of a game montage. You just need to adjust to the differences between the Hitfilm interface and AE interface and you'll be up to speed in no time! 

• mattstix1mattstix1 Website User Posts: 18

Thanks a lot! I will have a look and try them out. I used that montage because it is a very basic one and i wanted to see if i could actually do it. i'll link a better one with more effects and shots for you to have a look at. 

as far as effects go would i need to buy any plugins? or does Hitfilm come with all the necessary effects?

thanks again 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

For what you've shown, stock Hitfilm is fine. There are optional packs, but you likely won't need any of those--unless you start getting super fancy, but that's not usually the point of a game montage. 

• mattstix1mattstix1 Website User Posts: 18

Thank you very much, you have been a great help.