Allembic support

chibichibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

Anyone thoroughly tested the allembic support in hf pro 4?
I have some errors when applying the abc file to an imported lwo file. The mesh gets deformed incorrectly.
Also wish there was a smoothing value available so we can use lower poly models and smooth them out inside HF.

Comments

• chibichibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

So not many are using HF 3d capabilities?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,265 Ambassador

Well, to be pedantic, a lot of us are using the crap out of Hitfilm's 3D capabilities, but not too much Alembic. 

It's pretty hard to FIND premade alembic animations online. I have actually completely failed to find any myself (alembic searches yield tech information not downloadable files, ABC searches--well ABC is also the file format for a popular media stealing program). Alembic animating itself requires expensive software at the moment (I think DAZ Studio can save Alembic animations, which make DAZ Studio the only sub-$1000 software I can think of that does).

Simon Jones said that the devs mistakenly believed Blender supported Alembic exports--understandable, since the Blender Foundation announced in 2014 that Alembic support for Blender was in-progress, and expected for Fall 2015. Obviously that didn't happen. But that particular assumption likely had a lot to do with Alembic support in Hitfilm since most of the hardcore 3D artists here are in Blender. 

So, long story short, you're right--Alembic doesn't seem to be getting much use yet. Once Blender can export Alembic I would guess we'll see more use of it, but for now Alembic seems to be out of reach for most users. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@Triem23 Lightwave is only $995.00 ;) Actually the Lightwave Production Suite is still listed as being on sale for $695.00 which is a pretty good deal as far as Alembic compatible packages go. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,265 Ambassador

@Aladdin4d Huh. Thought that Lightwave sale ended in December. Yes, the $995 I was rounding up. ;-) 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Well it says they extended it until Jan 31 but it still shows a 695 purchase price. 

Wish I had the $700 in the budget. I would jump on it.

Why do ya think it's still sitting in the cart?? I really really want it but I just can't make the budget work right now. 

• dagafferdagaffer Website User Posts: 58

the newest version of poser has Alembic output I would love to try out. and I do hove the program just haven't had the time and not sure of the procedure

edited February 2016

@dagaffer Ok, good to know (a quick Google search shows that Alembic export is added in Poser Pro 11, released November, 2015. Guess that's why I wasn't aware yet. ;-) ). I think, in general, you're just going to animate in Poser as normal, then select alembic on export, since alembic is baking in model and animation information into the same file.

Of course, Poser Pro 11 is $500 and DAZ Studio is free*. ;-)

*Free because DAZ in really in the business of selling assets and add-ons, since the Alembic export module for DAZ is $90...

Triem23
    "It's pretty hard to FIND premade alembic animations online."
    True. Doubt this will change over time. Fbx is still the better choice imo.

The allembic support in HF seems buggy so far in my tests. Hopefully they fix it. Or add fbx support :)

• KoDutyKoDuty Website User Posts: 111

Blender is free :/

@KoDuty Blender doesn't have Alembic export yet. Hopefully that module is released soon. 

• ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    edited February 2016

I've tried using the Alembic import and also run into problems. 

No matter which alembic export settings I use, I always get a material mismatch.  Here's what the render looks like:

The animation looks good. It deforms the mesh correctly. But the materials are completely out of whack.

It should look like this on render:

I can't seem to find the magic formula that will make Alembic work properly.

BTW, I shot that in prores 444 4K on my ursa mini and got a good track in Mocha and then uploaded it in 4K to YouTube. It took a long time for the upload and makes a huge file size, since 4K doesn't compress into h.264 in HF. But it's nice finally being able to work in 4K! :)

@Triem23 I use Daz and did the Alembic export through that. I waited until the exporter was on sale though.  I paid like $15 for it. 

• tuckerkras12tuckerkras12 Website User Posts: 64

@Triem23, you should look at mixamo for pre rigging animated models, sadly it only supports FBX and Collada files but its pretty awesome.  

ESPictures

I had the same issue in some model with multiple uvs and materials.
    Best way is to bake the textures down to a single uvmap channel and use only 1 texture map.

@EsPictures one thing that's come up in the forums recently is that Hitfilm's model import seems to support "base" specs. Many things set up for "alternate" renderers come in off--Vray is a good example. Hitfilm doesn't seem to bring in Vray materials correctly (Vray must do things beyond standard 3DS). Something to think about as you prep materials. Are you using Cycles? 

• NXVisualStudioNXVisualStudio Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 688 Ambassador

@Triem23(Vray must do things beyond standard 3DS), that it does do indeed good Sir :)

edited February 2016

I think the problem is the way that HF imports the models. The imported model has something called "JoinedMaterial_#XX" which seems to be HF randomly deciding "Hey, these materials use the same textures, let's just combine these materials together"

Which doesn't correspond to the model's actual materials.

So I think the Alembic importer must be confused by the discrepancy between the mat zones that it thinks should be there and the mat zones that HF creates when it imports the model. 

@Chibi That's not really a good solution to the problem to my way of thinking. It's one more step where all new problems can be introduced.

@Triem23 Not cycles. I only use Blender/Cycles for certain things like fluid simulations, UV mapping, ect.  I usually animate in Daz and then export to Reality/Luxrender.

• WhatIfVideoWhatIfVideo Website User Posts: 11
    edited March 2016

Has there been any progress on this?

I am trying to do a similar project from DAZ to HF4 Pro and while my obj import has textures that look great, as soon as I apply the Alembic animation (also from DAZ), the scale goes nuts and the textures get all messed up.

I've tried numerous OBJ export settings and ABC export settings and nothing is working...

edited March 2016

@WhatIfVideo Not that I've heard.  Right now, I'm having to do a camera solve in Blender and then export the Blender camera and tracking points to Daz. Then do a Reality/Luxrender render and composite into the live action shot in HitFilm. It's pretty cumbersome, but does work. I was just hoping that Alembic import would give me an easier workflow.  I even tried getting the trial of the Pro version of Mocha to see if Mocha Pro's .fbx camera export could be imported successfully into Daz, but that didn't work either.

• WhatIfVideoWhatIfVideo Website User Posts: 11

Thanks @ESPictures for the info!

Right now, I'm seeing that the ABC file from DAZ gets all materials mushed into one group. DAZ will export textures with the ABC, all in one easy to use folder, but they don't match the 1 material group...

If there was a way to build a combined UV map for the ABC 1 material group using the ABC textures exported, it might be happy, but I cannot find a way to do this... yet...

edited March 2016

The problem with using a single material group is that you lose the ability to adjust the materials individually. You want skin to have its own materials so you can adjust it separately, from say metal or glass or clothing. Maybe you want only the iris material to be a light emitter for a glowing eye effect, but you can't do that when all the materials are smashed together.  The solution is for HF4 to give users the option to just import the materials correctly instead of trying to combine the material zones. I assume they did that to make it less difficult for people to adjust materials and reduce the memory load. But what we really need is a check box on the model import to let us skip that. 

• TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out

I don't think this post is dead yet... can we please address this admins? Yes, no, maybe so?I have a had several models run into this same problem of my models getting their surfaces, parts, layers "smooshed" together

Ex: I'll go to change the color of my headlights and a single side window will change with it. 

I often refer to the Car Garage tutorial you guys created, but its doesn't address this issue.

• JCL_FilmsJCL_Films Website User Posts: 156

It looks like Alembic might be coming to Blender with it’s next release (2.78) along with shadow catching in Cycles which is another big compositing feature request that I think would work well with open EXR in Hitfilm.

http://www.blendernation.com/2016/02/18/developer-thrice-monthly-meeting-notes-18-february-2015/

This discussion has been closed.