How to render ridiculously large videos (just shy of 32K)

rheator
rheator Website User Posts: 12
edited February 2016 in Practical Filmmaking

Hi, I need to make a 30765 x 5052 resolution video for a video wall. Hitfilm only does a maximum of 4096 x 2160, while After Effects only does up to 30000 x 30000. 

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. 

Also, the only codec I know of that supports resolutions higher than 4096 x 2160 is cineform. Besides uncompressed AVI, are there any other codecs for something this size?

Comments

• rheator

Okay, I re-read the requirements for this project, and something doesn't add up. 

The format requested is MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WMV (Windows Media Video), yet they want a 30,765 x 5,052 video. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the maximum resolution these formats can afford is 4k.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,970 Ambassador

To be blunt, first, why in hell do you need something that large? Nothing shoots that high-res, so you're either stitching several shots together, or everything is generated media! Second, you know that at that resolution each frame is 440 MB. I hope to hell you're not needing a lot of compositing or ANY effects on this beast, because you'll overload that AMD 6900 series card very quickly with that. Also, that output resolution doesn't evenly scale to any monitor resolution I can think of! 

The live reinforcement work I do generally splits video walls into 1920x1080 chumks and synchs multiple streams on playback. Closest fit for your dimensions with 1920x1080 monitors is 16 across by 5 high (or 8x3 for 3k monitors leaving a lot of black at top or bottom). I don't like being a negative nelly on this, but this sounds impractical, even for multiple high-end frame servers doing network renders! 

• rheator

The video wall in question:
    http://www.suntecsingapore.com/advertise-at-suntec/the-big-picture/#axzz408gw7gam
    Video of it:

Some stuff I don't get:
    http://www.dataton.com/stories/watchout-behind-world-record-video-wall

Dimensions I was given:
    Side Wings : 11,535 x 5,052
    Central Frame (8K) : 7,689 x 3,969

I am definitely doing generated media at this point. 

For the moment I am going to assume they are 3 screens, 2 of them 3840 x 1860 (side wings, cropped), 1 of them 3840 x 2160 (Central Frame) to fit the format requested.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Ok first off ignore the resolution specs you've been given they're probably meaningless in this context. My guess is they are effective resolutions which account for overlap edge blending and synchronization. Second these kinds of systems use standard media clips in standard resolutions and frame rates. The backend scales. slices and distributes the slices seamlessly to individual screens. Third I cheated and checked out some of the training videos for the backend.

http://www.dataton.com/training

So make what you want and submit it. Somebody else will set it up on the backend and get it published to the wall.

• davide445
    davide445 Website User Posts: 306 Just Starting Out

Interested in this topic for my projects as well.

Questions: the media with this final resolution is coming from CGI rendering or some real video footage?

If the first you can generate the 35k footage as single frame images (as @Triem23 said you will need a beast of hw), split every image, import the different images sequence in different comp,  VFX and next produce every comp as different video.

Wondering if HF it's the best package to do this, other more specialized presentation sw can maybe ease the work. 

• Aladdin4d

@davide445

"Questions: the media with this final resolution is coming from CGI rendering or some real video footage?"

There usually isn't any single media with a final resolution like that. It's all standard media in standard formats. This system was designed to handle UHD/4k media so that's the most you'll ever need. The backend takes care of everything else. 

The maximum effective resolution of the wall is 32,051 x 7941 spread across 664 screens. That works out to only be 383,308 pixels per screen which is less than half of what you get with 1280 x 720. I would guess the physical per screen resolution is in the neighborhood of 832 x 468. The end result is you don't have to scale anywhere near as much as you might think at first to fill a large number of screens.

• davide445
    edited February 2016

So if I good understand you need just a system to split your 4k video into the 664 screens?

This is much easier than generate and edit a 32k video, but wouldn't use at all HF to do that, just not what he is made for in my understanding.

• Aladdin4d

@davide445 You would use any of the usual content creation tools like HitFilm to create content just as if you were making it for a single screen. Then just as you understand it a completely different package with lots of hardware takes that content and manipulates it to be distributed across multiple screens. 

• davide445

@Aladdin4d so you can edit, VFX and produce your 4k video in HFP an next play on the wall using something as TouchDesigner or Ventuz to upscale, split and add realtime effects, but maybe I did misunderstood your needs.

• rheator

@Aladdin4d You were absolutely right about that one. I ended up submitting 3 4K clips (in wmv) and it turned out okay. 

Thank you @Triem23 and @Aladdin4d for the help!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,970 Ambassador
    edited February 2016

You're welcome. Glad the project worked out! 

Btw, what was this for? Fairly large event for that big a video wall! Hope the pay was good. 

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Fascinating project, and great advice from everyone here.

• davide445

Appear I didn't catch the topic really...anyway I did learn something

• Aladdin4d

You're welcome and Congratulations!

I'm going to quote @Triem23 because I want to know too....

"Btw, what was this for? Fairly large event for that big a video wall! Hope the pay was good."

Getting anything on that wall seems pretty high profile and I think it's great you had that kind of opportunity

• rheator

@Triem23 @Aladdin4d
    It was for an insurance company's sales rally.  Part of the project required me to put up a looping animation for the video wall using their logo. Pay was pretty good.