png 24 images with alphachannel - Hitfilm slow

When I watched the tutorial about extruded text in the 3d space, I immediately had the idea to extrude other "things".
I created a coghwheel in Photoshop, textured it with a nice rust and exported it with a transparend background. This extrudes just fine with the added point method as shown in the 3D-text-tutorial.
However: I found that as soon as I import a png with alphachannel, Hitfilm becomes quite slow (I'm on an Core i5 at 3.4 GHz and Windows7 64bit). Why is that so? If I create the cogwheel in Blender and import that, Hitfilm works far quicker.
Can the Image-handling be improved, or can I use another image-format that works better? Probably with a greem background, so Hitfilm does the transparency via color keying?
Thanks for comments and insights in advance. I included the cogwheel-image for reference.

Comments

• Nate066
    Nate066 Posts: 191
    edited June 2013
    Hitfilm extrude actually isnt extruding the object its actually using a algorithm to pull the back out so it looks like its extruded so in order for you to see the extrusion the algorithm needs to keep updating every frame. where as in blender you extrude it, the position of the extrusion is saved in vertices, where as hitfilm is constantly calculating the extrusion in terms this makes it lag. So blender only needs to calculate the extrusion once then it saves it in vertices in til you change it, where as hitfilm doesnt save it it just keeps extruding it everyframe. Hope that makes sence
  • xanathon
    xanathon Posts: 12
    edited June 2013
    Basically yes, but Hitfilm gets quite slow already if I just import that textured image without any extrusion and try to use it in it's 2D-form without any extrusion (but in the 3D-space)
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    What's your GPU?  I use alpha'd PNG's pretty frequently, and haven't noticed a slowdown.  Can you give us more details of how slow things are getting
  • Nate066
    yeah i haven't noticed a slow down either and i have Geforce GTX 675M
  • xanathon
    Hello Axel, thanks for your reply.
    My GPU is an AMD/ATI 7850.
    The slowdown is considerable in the preview window and timeline, even if I reduce the preview-resolution. I'll try to screencap you an example.
  • Nate066
    edited June 2013
    i tested it with 30 instances of a 6000 by 7000 image in the 3d mode(images are raw no effects applied) it was lag free so i decided to add 20 more then my frame rate dropped from 30fps to 9 fps i decided to reduce it by 10 and my frame rate was 19fps. How much ram do you have? This is only a theory but if hitfilm loads in a image and caches it when hitfilm runs out of allocatable memory it will have constantly recache the files, causing lag.
  • xanathon
    edited June 2013
    Hi Nate, thanks for your test. I get the lag after importing the first image. My RAM ist 8 GB. I will have a look at the ressource monitor to see what happens, when I import my image.
    It's probably my video card. I know that Nvidia Cards are way better suited for some operations because of CUDA. I cannot use GPU-rendering in Blender because the ATI cards are not supported due to the lack of usable drivers (and a CUDA-equivalent). Maybe this is a similar problem?
    Edit: I am running the latest Catalyst driver.
  • Nate066
    I thought cuda could have been the problem but according to a library analysis(looking at all the .dll files) hitfilm doesn't use cuda unless its included in the Intel IPP lib. the other primary lib hitfilm uses is zlib which is a decompression library it could be that somewhere along the line the decompression becomes slow due to your cpu(Im not sure if zlib supports gpu). Its totally possible that hitfilm uses cuda, as i didn't go over every single file. These are just theories and i could be totally wrong. If you have 8gb of ram you should be fine. I think this is generally just a performance problem that cant be fixed without upgrading hardware. What do you think Axel?
  • xanathon
    edited June 2013
    Here is a short screencap. For some reason Fraps is not able to capture the whole Hitfilm window, sorry about that. So only the preview window.
    http://youtu.be/dazSEuq-NGU
    The cogwheel png is set up to rotate 90 degrees in five seconds. The scene is in 2D only. The playhead jumps and the preview only shows a few frames. If I switch to 3D and try to navigate in 3D space to change camera angle etc, this is not really usable since I get less than a frame per second.
    Interestingly the first time I preview this works betrter with double or three times the frame rate, but still slow.
    System monitor says I have around 4 GB memory free.
    CPU is at around 50 % only, see attached image
    Edit: Catalyst is 13.4 which is the newest version according to AMD/ATI
  • xanathon
    I'm sorry to bump the post, but I would really like if there is something to do about the lagging. Are there tweaks in Hitfilm 2s options? I tried to use an 8bit png, that worked better but far from good. Or is the problem just that my machine isn't powerful enough? Would an AMD/ATI video card help?
    Thanks again.