LED Advice

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to set up some LED lights to run in sync with my band's show. I'm using Pro Tools for all the sound inputs/outputs, and would like to sync the lighting to specific parts of the songs. Anyone know anything about this that might be able to help me get started?

2-I think I'd like to use 1 LED for each member(3) and a couple for backlighting and maybe a couple moving lights in front. Maybe a light fog to create more drama for the lights as well.

Thanks, John

Comments

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,152 Ambassador

johnsnelling you already guessed this but I think this question is more suited on a lighting forum or music production. I have no clue as how this would work, sounds like a special bit of kit to interface between music outlay and lighting board setup.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Doesn't hurt to ask hete. Thete are live production people who might have ideas. Unfortunately my knowledge is a bit out of date. I would still say MIDI to DMX, but there has to be something better. 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

You're going to need something like the Enttec DMXIS to convert MIDI to DMX. The video is for Ableton Live but it covers the basics 

If you don't have any lighting controller or dimmers yet you might want to take a look at the Enttec DMX USB Pro MkII. It already accepts MIDI I/O and works with some decent free DMX software packages.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Really @Aladdin4d it's still MIDI to DMX? I figured these days it'd be time code or something for synching to projectors, monitors etc. Something on a usb or BNC. 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

@Triem23 I'm going to tag @Sarasota here because I'm pretty sure he knows more than either one of us on this but to the best of my knowledge yes, MIDI (and MTC) to DMX is still the "go to" even in production packages like VenueMagic. or Cuelux. Some of them have SMPTE support but that's usually a feature only available in the most expensive versions of the software or hardware like Medialon's Show Control Pro - so expensive they don't post a price! 

ArtNET is just DMX over ethernet so you're still faced with getting your triggering event to DMX somehow. LED Matrix? Usually DMX pixel mapping. Even worse a lot of your video switchers can only be remote triggered by RS-232/telnet events! These are devices that have SMPTE and genlock but yet you trigger over telnet! (Some switchers have a web interface and even apps to control them but in the end they're just front ends for telnet commands.) 

So yeah before I get carried away MIDI to DMX is definitely the way to go for the budget conscious

edited February 2016

You will need intelligent lighting arrays and, as mentioned, a DMX board (I am selling a brand new small one) to run the show.  You plug the intelligent lights into the DMX board (must be DMX compatible) and you program the board for your show.

The DMX board handles the sync and has 'snapshots' (like presets) for multiple shows.  It can also pulse to the music.  Think of it as a mixer (complete with faders) for lights.

Mike