rheatorrheator Website User Posts: 12

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1
i7-2600 3.4 GHz
12 GB RAM
512GB SSD Crucial MX100
2 TB HDD Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 

Issue:
Atomic Particles crashes the whole application instantly upon application to a Solid or Plane layer. This happens consistently, even after update and reboots. There were no other error messages besides the "crashed" message. 

To reproduce:
Start After Effects CC 2014 or 2015 or Hitfilm 4 Pro
Create a solid layer or plane layer
Apply Atomic Particles to layer
Crash

No example project file available.

Let me know if there is a fix, or a config I can try. 

Thank you.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador
    edited February 2016

Do you have a discrete GPU?

The Intel i7 2600 has a built-in Intel HD 2000 GPU, but the minimum requirements for HitFilm 4 Pro or Ignite include an Intel HD 4000.

If you don't have a discrete GPU you haven't mentioned then your problem is that your machine does not meet the minimum specifications for running HitFilm 4 Pro/Ignite.

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,425 Staff

rheatorTriem23 has correctly stated, the specifications of your system that you have listed is not supported for use with HitFilm or Ignite.

However, again as Triem23 has correctly stated, if you do have a discrete GPU we may be able to help you further if you let us know.

Many Thanks,
    Ady 

• JochystarzJochystarz Website User Posts: 5
    edited February 2016

am having the same problem, i have a dual graphics setup on a windows 10pro/64bit platform ( radeon hd6670 1gb as main gui and a Firepro W4100, 2gb  as a compute gpu which works fine with premiere proCC2015, Vegas Pro13, Resolve 12.3.1, Fusion 8beta3) both gpu have the latest amd drivers from the catalyst versions (the crimson edition still in development and causes problems with my setup). but some how atomic particles is the only thing that doesn't work in HFpro4, it used to work before in HF3pro now it doenst work either ....... soooo does this means that every time HF launches an upgrade we need to upgrade GPU's too ??? 

• rheatorrheator Website User Posts: 12

@Triem23 @Ady

My graphics card specs are as follows:

Graphics Chipset
    AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
    Radeon Software Version
    Memory Size
    2048 MB
    Memory Type
    GDDR5

Another update:

The same effect crashes Premiere Pro on launch. It also prevents Photoshop's Render Video dialog box from showing; it gets stuck on initializing export. 

Uninstalling Ignite does not work. The plugins have to be removed manually from the plugins folder in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore

Jochystarz - Are you saying Atomic Particles now doesn't work in HF3 when it used to before? You state that you installed the Crimson Driver but it caused an issue with your machine? Did you remove the Crimson Driver fully?

I have tested Atomic Particle on a card very similar to your own without issue with the 15.11 driver from AMD. I have not & have never installed the Crimson beta driver as like you say it is still in development & we do not recommend installing drivers that are in beta.

The sad fact is, AMD has any graphics card up to & including the HD 8xxx series marked as legacy which means that driver updates will no longer be frequent for any cards that are in those groups.

AMD Legacy Driver

rheator - Could you please log a support ticket here & supply them with your full DxDiag in order to speed up the diagnosis of your issue. Thanks.

Additionally, the uninstaller will remove the Plug-ins from your MediaCore directory, unless you have copied them there manually. I have tested the uninstaller here this morning & it removes them correctly, but it cannot remove items it did not create. Also, HitFilm has no integration with Photoshop so if you are seeing issues with that product, it's most likely something local to your machine. This could explain why you are having trouble with HitFilm also as it appears you have other issues with other products.

@Ady - Understood. Will do so as soon as I can. Thank you.

Not sure what happened there, but I did not copy them in manually. I did, however, remove them manually. 

Hitfilm has no integration with Photoshop directly, yes, but Media Encoder loads the AE plugins and when it gets to AtomicParticle.aex, Media Encoder crashes. As Photoshop loads Media Encoder when I go Export > Render Video, it gets stuck on Initialize Export.

edited February 2016

rheator - No problem.

I have tired it on a few machines now & it's definitely removing things as it should. Very odd that one, I'll keep an eye on this & see if there is something not right here, but for the most part it seems fine for me. I do use the un-install regularly as I'm usually switching builds for testing... etc.

Yeah no problem, not disputing what you're seeing, just thinking that there something else going on here which is causing these issues for you. 

@Ady

Thanks for the help so far, but I have decided to buy a new graphics card. I think it is about time I upgrade and switch to NVIDIA for the CUDA anyway, and I'm thinking a Palit Geforce GTX750 Ti StormX Dual 2GB GDDR5 or Palit GeForce GTX 970 JetStream 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card.

The mobo (GA-Z68XP-UD3,) should be able to take either card,.
    Any thoughts? 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

@rheator just a note--the CUDA will help with Premiere, but Hitfilm doesn't use it. Premiere can, in theory, use two cards, but, in practice this only helps on exports, not editing. Hitfilm doesn't recognize dual GPUs, so I think the 970 is the better card for you. 

Are you in a rush? In theory Nvidia releases new cards this month or next month. That means high probability of price drops in April. You might be able to get an 8GB 980 for the same price  the 970 4GB is currently at. 

@Triem23 - That is something to think about. I work with After Effects, which also uses CUDA for something. 

I will definitely wait for the price to drop. I won't have a new VFX project for at least 2 months, and certainly too late for the current one which is due today. 

Thank you for the tips!

• EricwEricw Website User Posts: 2

I have the same problem with atomic particles crashing Hitfilm. I have the AMD 6800 video graphics card and suspect I may have a driver problem with it. I recently upgraded to Win 10 and have Hitfilm 3 but this is the first time I have tried Atomic Particles. I am curious if upgrading the video board solved the problem. I am looking at the GTX 970 as a possibility. Any thoughts?

@Ericw This is probably too late, but I have since installed a GTX 970 and Atomic Particles is working perfectly for me. 

This discussion has been closed.