My computer is above the minimum requirements but Hitfilm is still slow.

YogiborealYogiboreal Website User Posts: 35

Hi everyone, I have an Nvidia 635m with 8gb of ram, and an i7 processor. My video card has Open GL 4.7 (though I do not know what this means, the minimum was Open GL 2.0). They are definitely above the minimum requirements although not by a lot but simply putting a colored plane masking it to make a rectangle and animating it to move left to right is already extremely slow. Is this a software or hardware problem? I've reinstalled Hitfilm when they released the Star Wars special and I even scanned my computer for viruses or malware and even got a defrag. 

Comments

• davide445davide445 Website User Posts: 306 Just Starting Out

Didn't know about your cpu integrated gpu (what i7 model) but your 635m appear to be an old and really slow card, with performance well below the GTX 750Ti (mobile equivalent is 880M) that I did read here to be suggested as a cheap entry level option.

Try to lower the preview resolution, disable effects such as motion blur and use the cache.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

You might need to use the Nvida manager to verify your machine is using the Nvidia card in Hitfilm, not the integrated card. 

• YogiborealYogiboreal Website User Posts: 35

Thank you for your answers, I will make sure that Nvidia is truly the one working with the software. As for my current graphics card, is it truly that slow that it cannot even catch up with a simple animation?

edited February 2016

Passmark score of hd 4000 (the bare minimum accepted from HF4) is 435, your is 684, 750Ti is 3687. The slowest Entry Level gpu suggested here is an R7 250 still a score of 1404.

So you are above the minimum, but far from a "productivity entry level" system.

My cpu is old as your but I did got a HD7950 gpu with score 4751, still is really slow in some situations. Top rank 980Ti is 11578.

Maybe others with more experience than me can comment.

• karmakarma Website User Posts: 165 Enthusiast

I had a laptop with that Nvidia gpu - much too slow for Hitfilm.

Mike

Well that clears things up, I guess I just need to save up for a stronger computer. I hope that Hitfilm someday becomes more optimized for weaker systems. 

Thanks for the replies too :)

• karmakarma Website User Posts: 165 Enthusiast

Not so.  Just use proxies for EVERYTHING.  That way you can scrub properly.  Comps will be doable once proxied, but it makes green screen work a bit tedious. Video, once proxied will also work much better.  It just means a LOT of background rendering until you can be productive.

Mike

As karma told you use proxy, also remember my suggestion to lower preview resolution and disable some effects. 

I doubt any modern sw will be optimized for such old and slow hw, considering also a 750Ti It's about $100 or less, problem is always the non upgradable laptops.

If you are a bit willing to learn and with the right laptop model you can also try the DIY eGPU path as I did, with big benefits.

Grateful for the replies guys. Gonna learn about proxies and will look into upgrading my hardware once I really need it. 

Hi all, I've been thinking on buying a new computer in the far future for editing purposes (VFX, simple editing, etc.) Is 8gb of RAM good enough if the graphics card is, let's say a GTX 950M?

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited February 2016

I have 8GB in my work and home computer. It suffices! I would say it's the minimum to go for these days, but 8 should indeed be OK. Also, RAM is the easiest and cheapest thing to upgrade, generally speaking, so you can always expand it in a year if you want.

I don't have experience with the 950M, but laptop cards tend to be underpowered compared to desktop equivalents.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

Unless you get a laptop with the 980 desktop card (expensive) Simon's right--"m" cards don't have the power of the desktop. My lappy's 980m is about equivalent to a desktop 780. That said 8GB is a good amount of VRAM. With a desktop one can upgrade piecemeal so shopping around for best current power/price ratio is smart. Laptops can't really upgrade (other than drive swapping), so get the biggest, baddest machine your budget can handle. 

For Nvidia, the hundreds digit is the generation, tens digit is your tier. This is where it gets tricky. The 880m actually outperforms a 950m,but is a cheaper card. Might be worth taking the time to hit a site like GPU boss and do comparisons of the current and previous generations of Nvidia and AMD GPUs. For Hitfilm you're comparing base specs and, particularly, Open Gl performance, since Hitfilm uses Open GL 

edited February 2016

If I have 16 gigs of RAM and let's say an 800-900 Nvidia GTX, will they help out each other? Or is it heavily reliant on the graphics card or even the processor? For Hitfilm that is.

Hitfilm is doing most rendering through the GPU. CPU is used for things like particle calculations and frame encode-to-disc, but the GPU gets more use. RAM is good in general. For one thing you can give Hitfilm more dedicated RAM preview buffer, for another, if you use multiple programs--example, earlier tonight I was prepping images in Photoshop while letting Hitfilm build proxies--you don't have to worry as much about system resources running out. 

Ah alright, thanks for the reply. I understand now :)

edited February 2016

For the record, my laptop is an i7-6700k Nvidia 980m 8GB,  64 GB DDR5 2133MHZ and tons of SSD. Basically just about the most powerful laptop you can get (only higher CPU is the 6720 only higher GPU is the DESKTOP 980 in a laptop) 

Tonight I waited over three hours for a single five-second shot to proxy. Now, I had a 4K Caustics going and multiple models taking reflections/refractions from Environment Maps and other assets, motion blur, and Depth of Field so it's an intense shot, and Hitfilm 4 Pro has significantly more rendering overhead than 3 Express (it does much more),  but the point is, no matter how powerful the machine is, one is always going to wish it were faster. 

Shot looks really good, however. 

Ah alright, thanks for the reply. I understand now. 

• TheRevisionistTheRevisionist Website User Posts: 5

If anyone else sees this thread, I just wanted to share some videos that show exactly how to make hitfilm more usable or faster while scrubbing:

And exactly how to setup the proxy:

Much Obliged.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,708 Ambassador

@TheRevisionist Good job with getting rid of lag video.  I always mention that turning off thumbnails on the timeline is crucial to maximizing performance. Your tutorial should help others with that issue.

But I had never noticed the NVideo setting "Configure Surround, PhysX".  That has been set to Auto since my computer build.  Will set that to specify my GTX 980 an give it a try!

• TheRevisionistTheRevisionist Website User Posts: 5

Just so you know, there is another nvidia configuration that you need to check, so that hitfilm 4 express uses your graphics card GPU instead of the integrated chip:

Please tell me if it helps! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.