Wacom tablet for editing?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
edited February 2020 in General

What's your opinion on tablets for editing?

Preferred size? (I'm looking at A6)

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

Hitfilm is supported in term that a tablet is a generic location device, and any hotkeys it has can be controlled by its configuration software. 

Editing by Wacom never did it for me. Photoshop, yes, NLE's, not so much, but I know editors who swear by them. 

For tablet size, remember that it's going to map the size of the tablet across your display(s). If you're dual display, you lose half the vertical area of the tablet and might want to go up a size. For a single display I find the 4x6 (A6)a good size. 

Other alternative input devices are jog/shuttle controllers (I use a Contour Shuttle Pro), or MMO gaming mice (like a Razer Naga). In both cases I am more thinking of hotkeys, and a shuttle jog controller is very nice for editing. 

I have a rather large Wacom tablet and for that reason, it has a jog wheel and programmable buttons.  I would LOVE to use that to scrub through video and use the jog wheel's pressure areas for transport controls.

Other than that, I can see using it for bezier curves on the graph editor and for things like garbage mattes - anything that requires 'drawing'.

So @Simon - does Hitfilm have full Wacom tablet support?  If not, please put that on the wishlist.

Mike

• TommyCampbell
    TommyCampbell Posts: 33 Just Starting Out*

You don't have to map the tablet to both displays at once. There is a setting for this in the Wacom Control Panel.

• [Deleted User]
    edited February 2016

I've looked this up and came across a thread where it didn't work properly in Adobe, after you use certain tools, but for the most part it works.

If I end up getting one, then I expect HitFilm to like the tablet, with great performance and all.

It's not that expensive, but it would be great to know beforehand.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

I never got into tablet editing either but I know people that swear by Wacom and I know a few others that swear by Monoprice tablets. I know if was trying it for the first time I'd probably go with a Monoprice unless I found a really good deal on a Wacom

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2016

I honestly thought you guys used tablets. I'm literally a beginner, so if any tools are bugged, I wouldn't find out! :D

@karma any problems other than that (I'm assuming, pro feature), no problems with any of the tools in HitFilm?

edited February 2016

Funny thing is, I have not tried it with Hitfilm yet.  I'll hook it up and give it a go. I use it with my graphics editing software (Photoshop, PhotoPlus, etc), 3D animation (Modo 901, Carrara 8.5 Pro, Maya LT, etc) and 2D animation (Anime Studio 10 Pro, Opus Pro 9.6, iClone 5, etc) software mostly.

Mike

• NXVisualStudio
    NXVisualStudio Posts: 734 Ambassador

I do get wound up if I use the tablet in a majority of 3D based software, I find it much more useful for intricate work in photoshop and painting on textures manually, 

If I use the tablet in HitFilm for something like rotations it sometimes has a spinning fit, Value sliders go crazy as well, regardless of sensitivity.

As others have mentioned, Wacom has and usually maps out the scale from tablet to that of the display size and really should take in to consideration, hand movements to movements on the screen, a slight movement from the hand can equal to a fairly large movement and that doesn't really play out well to microscopic adjustments needed on values, 

It does work well in HitFilm but I wouldn't really need to use it in that manner personally, you will have to get used to it first mind. 

• [Deleted User]

Interesting. Well, if I move my mouse on my mousepad horizontally 2 inches, the cursor goes from one side to another, horizontally. I'm using a 1920*1080 21" screen.

I'm very comfortable and accurate, so I think I'll go for a small tablet, which honestly, because the A6 tablets are 5.9 inches horizontal and 3.5 inches vertical, which is actually larger than the space I'm using on my mousepad.

And yes, I just measured and got an almost exact 2 inches using a ruler, moving the mouse horizontally with the cursor starting on the right edge moving all the way to the left edge. :D

• Triem23

@TommyCampbell you are, of course correct, you can limit the Wacom to a single display. However, this will depend on how your software is configured. For Hitfilm use, unless you've moved the viewer panel to take up pretty much all of one screen leaving all your controls on the other you'd likely want to be able to move between both screens, but, yes, i should have been more precise. :-)

@Karma in your tablet's setup you should be able to map the wheel to the appropriate controls for Hitfilm. I'm thinking mapping the wheel's clockwise rotation to enter a "." and counterclockwise to enter a "," would have the wheel become frame forward/backward. Does the touch area have three zones? In that case map the right side to "L" the left to "J" and the center to "K." That will map the touch zone to forward/backwards/pause controls. My old Intuos 4 does have the wheel--just the three hotkeys and the strip, and I haven't tried configuring it for Hitfilm, since I never enjoyed using the tablet in Vegas.

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2016

Update guys, first of, I want to say that I really appreciate the help&guidance, second of all, here is what I'm buying at the end of this month.

The reason I had to wait, was because I had to invest in my tools for school, buy my own books, etc.

I'm set on buying this Wacom Intuos Photo: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Intuos-Photo-Graphics-Tablet/dp/B013ATUGGK/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1474499919&sr=1-6&keywords=wacom+intuos

Two things really stood out to me, these two softwares are bundled with the product, no trial, no demo:

Corel PaintShop Pro X8

Corel AfterShot Pro 2

I think that's very cool, and judging by the price, I'll be getting software with a combined value that's higher than the cost of the tablet itself.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2018

Heya, this is an old thread, I had forgot about this thread, haha. :D  I thought I should drop in to provide you with (a way overdue) update regarding my tablet purchase.

I ended up buying a tablet called Huion H610 Pro.

Key features:
    - Working Area:10x 6.25"
    - 8 programmable Express keys (hard keys)
    - 16 programmable function keys (soft keys - you place the nib on them)
    - Rechargeable pen, no big deal, lasts like a month on a 2 hour charge

Overall I'm happy with my purchase. Will not be buying anything Wacom, they're beat on price and performance by Huion and others imo.

• Davlon
    Davlon Posts: 283 Just Starting Out

Get the small Wacom Intuos refurbished from Amazon.   Excellent value -- I've been using small Wacom tablets for the past 20 years.  You don't need more for basic mousing and pointing.  You'll also want to have a mouse with a wheel for dialing in numbers and other actions.

There is a trick/workaround you can do to add increased productivity.  The  Intuous pens  have a side rocker switch that is barely 1 or 2 millimeters high -- it's maddening.   You'd think Wacom would have figured out how to  design a pen by now.  It's almost impossible to find the switch by feel only.  My fix is as follows:  take an old credit card and cut a rectangular piece exactly the same size as the switch. Round the corners to match the top of the switch.   Since the top of the switch is flat, you can *very-very-carefully* glue it in place -- or better, use double-stick tape.  NOT THE FOAM KIND -- just thin double-stick cellophane/mylar/whatever.  Now you can find the switch with your eyes closed and keep your eyes on your work.

The other essential fix to Wacom pens is to add a silicone pen grip to Both ends. It adds extra weight, which helps in keeping the pen in  your hand, but most importantly, it keeps the pen from cracking/breaking when it hits the ground.  And they always fall to the floor.  I have 6 cracked/broken pens in my Wacom pen cemetery from the past 20 years. But since I added the silicone grips, I can even drop them from 4-5 feet without a problem.  

• Triem23

I've not really ised tablets mucb for video work, more photo work, but, over the last 15 years I've never quite gotten over the disconnect between my hand moving on a table with the cursor on-screen, so I recently picked up a pen tablet display. It's not wireless, but runs from my USB ports.

So, this gives me two options... Either I can use the pen display as a duplicated screen 1, and draw/stylus directly on the screen, or, I can set the pen display up as screen 2 for a full-screen display.

I have this. 

https://www.xp-pen.com/goods/show/id/202.html