Crashing after importing Media

archiediack
archiediack Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in HitFilm

I have just installed HitFilm 3 Express and whenever i try to import media i get a error message saying

'Hitfilm 3 Express has stopped working' and it closes down. This happens every time i open it. I have restarted my computer and reinstalled the program.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,062 Ambassador

What are your system specs: CPU, GPU, OS, RAM?

Are your graphics card drivers up to date? 

Have you installed Quicktime? 

What is your anti virus? 

Are you on a Dell? There's a strange thing going on with Dell PC's the devs are trying to crack. 

• I have a dell laptop and no anti virus software. 

• Triem23

Ok, tagging @Ady from staff. As I noted in my previous post there's a known issue that only seems to be affecting Dells. Obviously it's not solved yet, but he might have insights. 

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

We'll need some more specific information about the computer's specifications. The manufacturer doesn't tell us anything about its capabilities, unfortunately.

Also, as a general note, it's advisable to not post serial codes for your software in public - whether it's our software or anybody else's.

• sorry, i am running windows 10, a ram of 2gb, my processor is: Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2957U @ 1.40GHz 1.40GHz and how do i find my cpu and gpu?

• Triem23

The Celeron is your CPU. The GPU doesn't matter as your CPU and RAM are well below minimum specifications required  to run Hitfilm Express. 

The minimum requirements can be found here.

https://hitfilm.com/express/specs

• I also have the same issue. I've imported about 10-11 h264 mp4 files in media panel from explorer and program is stopped working. It was the first attempt. I reopened hf again, started an empty project.  At the second attempt these files were imported normally into media panel. By the way, I tried to import these files at the third attempt in empty project and hf crashed again. I would also give you some info about my specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

8 GB of ram    OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

Yep that Celeron lacks some of the instructions that any Core i CPU has and your GPU is probably the Intel HD on board the CPU which is also way under spec. There's no number for it so it's a first gen Intel HD and HitFilm needs at least an HD 4000

•  So i can't run the program on my pc?

• Aladdin4d

@archiediack I'm afraid not. It looks like your CPU, RAM and GPU are all below the minimum requirements. 

@AlreadyTaken Your problem is different than archiediack's so you probably want to open a support ticket.

https://hitfilm.com/questions/submit

What created your clips? Are they from a camera or something else like a screen recording?

• They were captured with open broadcaster software (aka OBS). I've already asked about OBS settings appropriate with hf,  but using OBS settings that one guy suggested in another topic nothing helped. By the way, I noticed that previously there was a BEX64 error code in Hitfilm has stopped working window. I've installed some visual c++ redistributables, perhaps 2005 and 2008 and 2012 x32 packages were missing. After that, error code has changed to APPCRASH and hf crashes in the same situation. So, the issue still occurs. However there is another problem. Somewhat similar to Hitfilm has encountered a problem doesn't show up. There is no prompt to send crash report, which should be. I'm using the latest express version.

• Aladdin4d

Ahhh ok. I remember that now. 

Does OBS hook into the GPU at all for capture? I've seen other things that try to intercept GPU stuff cause BEX64 errors before. I'm not sure how installing the x32 VC runtimes would've changed things since HitFilm is a 64 bit app and the original BEX error is obviously a 64 bit crash so I'm out of ideas there

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

@AlreadyTaken It might help if you provided all the OBS x264 encode settings. You previously only listed on item.

I would not go randomly installing various Visual C++ redistributables. The app will install what it needs and expects, and anything you install might overwrite/update what they installed and make things worse. An install should not conflict but why take the chance. If something was truly "missing", nothing would run from the get go.

• Aladdin4d

@AlreadyTaken - Are you recording with a Constant Frame Rate or a Variable Frame Rate? If it's VFR like most screen recordings then I could see where having several VFR clips in a project might cause all kinds of weird issues.

• AlreadyTaken
    AlreadyTaken Posts: 71
    edited January 2016

@Aladdin4d By the way,  I'm unable upload screenshots of settings that I used in OBS. So I'll write the most important from advanced tab.

x264 cpu preset: ultrafast

encoding profile: high

use cfr is checked

custom x264 encoder settings: crf=15 gop=15

From encoding tab also:

encoder x264, use cbr unchecked, quality balance 10, max bitrate 1000

use custom buffer size checked

buffer size 0

audio codec aac, format 48 khz

That's strange. Framerate remains variable (at least it's shown in mediatab), but cfr (constant frame rate) is checked in OBS. That may be a problem.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

I tried these settings in OBS. I only tried a simple short recording. You don't need a custom x264 setting for using CRF, also GOP is not a valid x264 option. OBS has a keyframe interval setting that is close to what x264 uses so just use that. A 1 second interval should be fine. No idea what the auto setting does. Long keyframe intervals can result in better compression but don't work as well in editors.

• AlreadyTaken
    AlreadyTaken Posts: 71
    edited January 2016

@NormanPCN I noticed, that results of recording may be different with OBS (original version) and OBS Multiplatform. I also have OBS MP, it may be better to use in some situations. However I tried with original OBS, results may be different. I unchecked variable framerate (vfr) in obs MP.  Framerate is constant in recorded file. I checked use CFR in advanced tab of original OBS,  as I mentioned previously framerate is variable in recording.  So, I'd better stick with OBS MP.

• Aladdin4d

@AlreadyTaken

"That's strange. Framerate remains variable (at least it's shown in mediatab), but cfr (constant frame rate) is checked in OBS. That may be a problem."

I would trust MediaTab more than OBS and if it's reporting VFR then you have VFR clips. That's a problem no matter what because no NLE likes VFR video. What I suspect is happening is even though you have CFR checked and OBS tries to maintain that frames still get dropped and you end up with VFR captures.

This discussion has been closed.