Why I probably won't reinstall Hitfilm 3 Express (Opinion Changed)

AtriarkAtriark Website User Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in General

It's been a desire of mine to start making short films and other videos for about a year now. So, to try my hand at it for the first time, I decided to make a painting tutorial video for my favorite tabletop game Warhammer 40,000. Not a whole lot of work needs to be done as far as editing goes, just basic cropping film segments together. After spending a day and a half working on the actual filming, I hop on to HitFilm 3 Express. I heard a lot of good things about the program, and was impressed with how well a lot of the videos I saw were.

However, what I wasn't impressed with was what happened next. After filming, I hop onto my computer, pop a flash drive in with the video files, and imported them into HitFilm 3 Express. I received an error, saying that the video files weren't supported. A bit of fiddling around, most restarting the program to make sure it wasn't a fluke. After the same error popped up, I hit the support section looking up supported file types, intent on converting. However, I found out that the file type, .MOV was claimed to be supported.

I was confused. The support section clearly says that .MOV works. Yet I was having errors that clearly said the opposite. Now a half hour of bumbling around the forums, and internet searches later, I discover that I also need to install Quicktime. So I do so, hoping to get it to work. Once it finishes I get another error, this time before Hitfilm even loads up, informing me that I need to install Quicktime; the program I just downloaded.

Once again confused, and very annoyed at this point, I uninstall Hitfilm 3 Express and then reinstall it, only to once again receive the same error.

An hour in, I haven't gotten either to work, and only succeeded in raising my anger and causing severe lag to my computer despite only downloading things from Apple and Hitfilm websites. And so, that is why I probably won't be reinstalling Hitfilm 3 Express.

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that - you do indeed need Quicktime installed to use MOVs on a Windows machine. It's odd that you seemed to get stuck in a loop of being told you needed Quicktime installed, though, so I'll get a developer to look into that.

• YeremyahYeremyah Website User Posts: 1,000 Enthusiast
    edited January 2016

Sounds like constructive feedback.

May I encourage you however not to give up on HitFilm. Be patient.  I too had many hurdles at beginning, took me many hours/days to figure out some things.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

One question - what version of Windows are you using?

• AtriarkAtriark Website User Posts: 3

I am using Windows 10.

Did you do a full install of Quicktime? During installation it's possible to do a 'limited' install which won't work correctly unfortunately.

• AtriarkAtriark Website User Posts: 3

It's possible I did that, I'm not entirely sure. I suppose I should try that and downloading it again. Thank you for the assistance Simon. And to you too Yeremyah.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Well the first thing I'm going to do is tag somebody from Staff, in this case @SimonKJones and humbly suggest that the HitFilm installer be modified to check for a valid QuickTime installation and if it doesn't find one, alert the user and exit. There's a few other posts on here where users have had problems with HitFilm because QuickTime wasn't installed first and just installing it after HitFilm doesn't seem to be a reliable way to fix the issues.

Now here's what I would do (WARNING: Windows Reboot Shuffle ahead)

1. Uninstall HitFilm and Quicktime and Reboot
    2. Install CCleaner Free There's no adware or nagging. This is a simple. effective, well regarded utility. The main purpose is to clear out junk temp files and such but it also has a very safe and effective registry utility which is what we want so......
    3. Start CCleaner and click Registry on the left hand side then the Scan for Issues button at the bottom. My guess is the scan will find several hundred errors. This is normal for the average Windows machine so don't be alarmed. Once the scan is done click Fix Selected Errors. You'll be prompted to make a backup before making any changes which is a good idea so do that and complete fixing the errors.
    4. Run another scan. More errors will be found but nowhere near as many as the first time. Follow the steps above and run a third scan. This scan is probably clean because I can't remember the last time I had to run 4 scans before no errors were found.
    5. Reboot
    6. Do a complete install of QuickTime and.....
    7. Reboot - The QuickTime installers (the main package actually contains several separate installers) aren't very good and have a tendency to reserve doing actions until the next reboot.
    8. Install HitFilm
    9. Optional - Reboot and then try HitFilm or try HitFilm without rebooting.

Atriark, I too am using HitFilm on Windows 10.

I installed Quicktime version 7.7.8 (1680.95.71), and MOV works fine importing for me.

Stick with it, you will find a solution, and eventually really enjoy using HitFilm:)

• MarcinMarcin Website User Posts: 132 Just Starting Out

@Aladdin4d - but why force Quicktime? I don't need it and don't want it on my system.

edited January 2016

If you don't want QuickTime installed, yet want to use .MOV files in HitFilm, then convert .MOV files to mp4 first, using something like:

http://www.aiseesoft.com/video-converter-ultimate/

I use aiseesoft video converter ultimate to convert videos to different formats, and it works great.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@Marcin HitFilm can't open MOV files unless QuickTime is installed so not checking for QuickTime is allowing the software to be installed in a crippled state. Going by other recent posts installing QuickTime after HitFilm doesn't reliably enable MOV import and a user has to go through uninstalling and re-installing QuickTime and HitFilm several times before everything works as it should. The obvious fix from a support standpoint is to enforce the QuickTime requirement as that will likely avoid a huge number of support tickets and frustrated customers like the original poster

edited January 2016

The challenge with forcing QT install, is that many people then won't even install HitFilm, because there seems to be a large group of "QT haters":

http://geekswithblogs.net/thibbard/archive/2005/10/05/56098.aspx

As for me personally, it doesn't bother me, I installed QT and don't mind.

From an application and programmer viewpoint, it's not possible to enable MOV support in HitFilm, without the user installing QT?

Surely other applications/programs exist that have MOV support without the user needing to install QT?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,227 Ambassador

Certain media players can handle QT without Quicktime involved, but, invariably they are free, open-source and using a third-party decoder (ffmpeg, maybe?). TECHNICALLY this is illegal, but it's something Apple has ignored. 

Hitfilm is commercial software (yes, even Express), and needs to play by the rules and use the Apple code--even if Apple is giving it away. Legalities can be a pain, I guess. 

• MarcinMarcin Website User Posts: 132 Just Starting Out

@Aladdin4d: I know, but I don't need Quicktime  (AVCHD and MP4 in use only) so I want to have it not installed on my system. It would be not used anyway and it's at least one process running less.

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,360 Enthusiast

Um..all this talk about Quicktime haters?? I for one have no problems with QT... of course I own a Mac so it's standard for me. In fact I still use Quicktime Pro 7 render options  at times to fool Youtube into not re-encoding large videos.

I have a plethora of extremely high quality .mov assets and would be lost if I didn't have the ability to use them. What drives me crazy is the mp4 container... the quality just doesn't seem up to par to me. I prefer Apple Pro Res myself.

Myself,  if I owned a PC, I'd install Quicktime. Hit film is without a doubt the best software on the market, in it's price range, that can deliver high quality VFX. Install QT and move on to greater things. You won't regret it :-)

What's VFX mean?

@Marcin Dealing with the occasional "I don't want QuickTime " complaint is a lot easier than dealing with several angry customers that can't get your product to work because of a situation that could have been avoided completely.

If you don't want QuickTime or an extra process or two running you can uninstall QuickTime after installing HitFilm or easily disable qttask and Apple Update neither of which are required for QuickTime operation, Explaining those options to a customer is much easier, cheaper and less time consuming than walking an angry customer through multiple installs/uninstalls, reboots and error reports. 

The other option is to check for a valid QuickTime installation and warn users when it isn't found and let the installation continue but that's still going to lead to angry vocal customers that can't get the product to work. 

@Yeremyah To be strictly legal any use of the QuickTime file format requires a license from Apple. One way to do that on Windows is to just use the QuickTime framework as installing QuickTime gives the end user a license to use it. A huge advantage to doing this is there are no license fees involved. The other way is to get a license from Apple allowing you to incorporate the QuickTime file format directly in your product. This does let you avoid using QuickTime but it will cost you quite a bit in license fees which will in turn raise the cost of your product. Blackmagic does this with DaVinci Resolve and Fusion and while there's free versions of both sales of the paid versions ($995.00 each) subsidizes the free versions. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,227 Ambassador

@Yeremeyah

VFX is the abbreviation for "Visual Effects." As another note, "Visual Effects" technically refers to any kind of effect added in editing amd post production. "SFX," can refer to "Special Effects" or "Sound Effects," (although sound effects is often abbreviated S/Fx). Special Effects are done in-camera and on-set. So an explosion done on-set with actual pyro is a special effect, and an explosion composited in post is a visual effect. 

@GrayMotion Good point! HitFilm is multi-platform and Mac users have no choice but to use QuickTime :)

Thank you Triem :)

@Yeremyah Not really as that isn't representative of HitFilm Windows users vs HitFilm Mac users. As a general rule any creative software will attract a higher percentage of Mac users.

It would be interesting to see the HitFilm stats, Mac users compared to Windows users.

@Aladdin4d while a higher percentage of Mac users go for creative software, the overall stats still give Windows dominance. Also... Mac is starting to lose the creatives. The Mac coders at the Blender Foundation walked away in disgust. At the VFX level, Video Copilot and Film Riot both moved over to PC... The advantage of the Mac used to be that the smaller hardware pool made it easier to write stable software (three CPUs and three GPUs instead of dozens of each), but certain Apple things like---NOT LETTING YOU UPDATE DRIVERS--is starting to drive away the creative community. Then there's that Adobe/Apple sniping and feuding that's been going on for a few years--and the Mac pretty much survived the 90's and 2000's because of Adobe... And all Apple's money is coming from phones and tablets, and really really overpriced crappy headphones.

When I did my computer shopping last October, I looked at the Macbook, but decided to not spend $500 more on a machine with 1/4 the RAM, 1/4 the drive storage, a slower CPU two generations older, a less powerful GPU with 1/4 the vRAM of what I got... Not to mention paying an additional cost for peripherals and having to re-buy all my software. I don't even think Apple really cares about the Mac that much anymore as Apple was rather emphatic about reporting that in 2014 they sold more iPhones and iPads than they'd sold of Macs, total, from 1984...

@Triem23 Oh I'm sure Windows would still be dominant but I'm also sure the percentage of Mac users would be much higher than 10%. My wild a** guess would be around 20% but I wouldn't be surprised if it was as high as 30. 

Triem23, I had an iMac for years.  Around 3 months ago I decided to buy a new PC and went for a very nice and powerful PC running Windows 10. I am very happy, because same price would have gotten me a much slower and lower spec iMac.

I personally will never go back to a Mac.

• SarasotaSarasota Website User Posts: 272
    edited August 2016