Light Balls Race(FilmRiot Vfx Challenge)

Nate066Nate066 Website User Posts: 191
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vfmEuhNilA

Im submitting this for the film riot vfx challenge, What do you think. Constructive Criticism appreciated. Hitfilm was only used to composite the post effects(Glow) The main animation was done in 3ds max.

Comments

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    Wow- it's like Wii mini golf meets Tron. ;) 
    Cool effect, Nate066. I can't think of a thing that would make it better- perfect the way it is.
    Good luck!
  • Nate066Nate066 Website User Posts: 191
    Wow- it's like Wii mini golf meets Tron. ;) 
    Cool effect, Nate066. I can't think of a thing that would make it better- perfect the way it is.
    Good luck!

Thanks, that means a lot  :)

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    That's a cool look. Main thing I'd say is that there's a lack of context. During the race it's unclear where they're racing to, especially as they go off in different directions. As a geographical space, it's unclear how the start, end and balls related to each other. With racing it's important to have that sense of space really nailed down so that the audience knows what's going on.
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    I figured there were two identical sides like on some Wii mini golf game courses. Each ball went in opposite directions which I took as they were doing the same things in mirror image of each other.
    That's a cool look. Main thing I'd say is that there's a lack of context. During the race it's unclear where they're racing to, especially as they go off in different directions. As a geographical space, it's unclear how the start, end and balls related to each other. With racing it's important to have that sense of space really nailed down so that the audience knows what's going Your
    Your right, i didnt even see that.In future racing animtions ill be sure to actually give contrast that there racing. Thanks for the input
    That's a cool look. Main thing I'd say is that there's a lack of context. During the race it's unclear where they're racing to, especially as they go off in different directions. As a geographical space, it's unclear how the start, end and balls related to each other. With racing it's important to have that sense of space really nailed down so that the audience knows what's going on.
    I showed this to my VFX teacher and he said the exact thing you said. Nice Job And thanks for the advice
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    No worries - glad to hear I was on the right track. :)
    I'd recommend taking a look at the film Speed Racer. They construct really wild race tracks in a fully CG environment but keep the audience rooted physically throughout.