Real time render playback

BEEF
BEEF Website User Posts: 3
Love the software.  I have been a FXhome fan since 2007.  I was really excited to see a new piece of software that competes with AE while still retaining the fundamental simplicity of the old software.
However, I have a couple questions about the rendering/playback.
I see that there is no way to render the project while still editing--like you can do with the graphics card intensive set up in AE.  Currently, playback is far from helpful in HitFilm 2 Ultimate because it is choppy and gives a bad sense of what the effect looks like in real time.
-I am building myself a PC this summer with more than enough ram as well as a beefy processor and graphics card.  Will the Rendering be played back at real time with optimal PC specs?
-If not, this problem NEEDS to be fixed.  Being able to see a full rendered version while still working on the effects is incredibly useful and convenient.  Having to export a rendered clip each time is bulky and time consuming.
The HitFilm community is great, so let me know what you guys think and please share any information you have on this topic.
Cheers
--BEEF 

Comments

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    There is a ram preview button on the lower right side of the video display window. It looks like a blue play button.
  • BEEF
    Wow, thanks for pointing that out to me.   It is playing in real time, but is still somewhat choppy. Does its fluidity improve with the more ram you have on your system?  anything to do with processor and graphics card?
  • BEEF
    Never mind, I see that it renders the video for normal playback now.
    Thanks, Null.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Thanks, Null. :)
    Playback performance is a close interaction between three things:
    - Computer spec. (faster computer = better, obviously)
    - Complexity of effects. (a particle system is inherently more intensive than a brightness effect)
    - Number of items. (more effects/layers/etc will progressively reduce real time performance)
    The graphics card is usually the key element for getting good performance from HitFilm.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
    Also, video format can hugely affect playback, so make sure you are using a proper editing format for optimal playback on your system.
  • PhilWesson
    PhilWesson Website User Posts: 241 Enthusiast
    Is the ram preview for composite shots only, or for the editor as well? I only seem to remember it in the composite shot window.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    It's only in composite shots. The overall preview rendering system is something we hope to expand upon in a future version.