DVD Coding Question

guitar74
guitar74 Posts: 506
Thanks to all the people that answer this question..
  DVD's and Blu-Rays have a encoding so they cannot be copied. I know there is a lot of software out on the net that can break the coding and a copy can be made from the original disc.  My question is, can a person make a movie at home and put a encoding on the DVD so it will be harder to make copies of it??  I'm sure there is some software that can do it, but I cannot find any.  Thanks, Chad

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,618 Ambassador
    That's an excellent question, guitar74. I looked at the software I have, Sony DVD Architect Pro 6 and NERO Multimedia Suite 10, I can't find anything relating to encoding to prevent copying. I haven't gone so far as to author a DVD yet but if I hear of anything I'll let you know 'cause that's something I would like to apply to DVDs as well.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    edited June 2013
    1)  Is there really anybody that will want to copy your dvd?  
    2) If you already know that the professional-level copy protection can be broken, why bother?
  • StormyKnight
    edited June 2013
    2) If you already know that the professional-level copy protection can be broken, why bother?

1) Yes, the Chinese. They copy everything don't they? ;) 
    2) That's another excellent question, Axel. 'Anti-copy' isn't entirely fool proof although I always add it to the CDs I've produced. I don't know if there's a way around it on CDs but DVDs.....my friends have cracked a few.

• duffman
    duffman Posts: 234 Enthusiast
    In DVD Architect Pro you can set the CSS & Macrovision flags for anticopy when burning your master.
    I also happen to agree with Axel.
    Good for your ego though....to think a couple of billion people might be trying to "crack" your disc.

Duff
  • guitar74

1) Yes, the Chinese. They copy everything don't they? ;) 
    2) That's another excellent question, Axel. 'Anti-copy' isn't entirely fool proof although I always add it to the CDs I've produced. I don't know if there's a way around it on CDs but DVDs.....my friends have cracked a few.

How did you encode CD's and DVD's?
  • guitar74
    In DVD Architect Pro you can set the CSS & Macrovision flags for anticopy when burning your master.
    Good for your ego though....to think a couple of billion people might be trying to "crack" your disc.

Duff

No, a Friend asked me about this.  A while back I made a DVD for someone and it was a Fan Made Star Trek DVD of lcars videos and some where actual video clips made for back ground visuals for Star Trek Voyager, but probably never used.  This person sold the heck out of them, then those DVD's made their way to Ebay, since people were copying them and selling them.  A friend that makes movies wanted to encode a dvd to prevent lose of sells.  I know their are ways to crack them, but always like to try to put in a  road block.
  • guitar74

It was a question for a friend that asked me how to do it and I was not for sure what programs will do that encoding.  He makes movies and I'm sure no one would really want to copy them since they are not to good.  But I was asked how it was done and I was not sure.  I dont make movies I just play with different effects.  I was curious about the encoding on a dvd since I was asked about it.
  • guitar74

Thanks for the help  :) 

• StormyKnight

Duff

LOL- If a billion people are trying to crack anything I've done I'd be surprised. I'd probably clutch my chest and fall over.
    Thanks for the info on DVD Architect. If I were to ever try selling something on eBay I might just try that feature.

How did you encode CD's and DVD's?

In NERO, which I use to make some CDs, as you go through the steps for the final burning process there's a checkbox for an anti-copy option. Apparently the same applies to DVD Architect as duffman pointed out above but as I said, I haven't authored a DVD yet so I never got so far as to find it in DVD Architect.
    If you need more info, I would try 'DVD anti-copy software' in a search engine rather than the term encoding.