Breaking windows

isoiso Website User Posts: 44
Hello guys.  I'm here today because I have this action scene where there are 2 cars driving down the road shooting at each other and I was wondering how I could make the windows break during the shooting scene.  I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me out here.  Thanks a lot! Have a great day.  

Comments

• HitFilmer165147HitFilmer165147 Website User Posts: 36
    You could duplicate the layer and mask around the window. In the layer before it adjust the contrast/brightness to make it seem like there is no window. Then composite some glass breaking stock footage during the fade from the masked window layer. I'll have to try the effect to see if it will work but I thought I would give you an idea.
    Three Dog Productions.
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    edited June 2013
    Hey iso!
    What particular window do you want to break? Does it break entirely or just some bullet holes? Where are the people in the car? Are the cars moving when the glass gets broken? What breaks the glass? A bullet? A little more information on the scene would be helpful in giving advice on how to create it.
  • isoiso Website User Posts: 44
    Well during this scene two cars are driving side by side and the drivers are shooting at each other. So i want the passenger window and other side windows to shatter and break from the bullets going through the windows... Just a little more info for you Matthias.  I would have the video to show you guys but it's with my friend because i had to use his camera for this shot.  If you all can help me with this that would be fully appreciated.  Have a great day.
    If you want them to shatter, I would say things get a bit harder, especially once principal filming is done. It is fairly easy to track and place stock images of bullet holes on windows, but to have them shatter... Hmm.
    If you hadn't shot your footage I would suggest shooting the entire thing with all the windows rolled down. I think, personally it would be easier to track the car and mask fake windows in via some kind of displacement filter, than use some glass breaking stock, to make it look as though it shatters than to make it look like the window disappears. If that makes sense.
    Yes, that does make sense.  Thanks a lot for the info Matthias I think i will do the scene over again but with the windows rolled down.  Thanks for the help and advice.  Have a great day.
    Well best of luck, if anyone else has a better idea, I'd love to hear it. This seems like a very challenging effect to do without actually breaking any glass haha.
  • Nate066Nate066 Website User Posts: 191
    edited June 2013
    I managed to make a glass shatter effect i even had it bounce off the objects in the scene, while this method look very realistic its pretty hard to do. The first step is to track and rotoscope footage in synth eyes, bojou, PfTrack. then, in your 3d program (mine is 3ds max) camera map what the glass needs to fall or hit. Also camera map objects the glass is behind. Then setup your glass shatter using a fracture plugin. once thats done go in to your compositing software(mine is Toxik, AfterEffects, Hitfilm 2) and if you have a clean plate its a simple as masking and aligning the render other wise you need to composite out the window then apply the render. Finally, color correct the cg elements to match the scene and your done. 
    ****, thanks Nate006 that is incredibly complicated, but I will give it a try.  The reason why I want to figure this out is because nobody wants to spend money on new windows because our first plan was to actually shoot the windows out with my friends guns.  (without any passengers of course).  Then we would have another shot of the actors in the car.  Again like I said we didn't do this because we don't want to spend any money out of our budget to buy new windows for our cars.  Thanks a lot for the advice guys!  Have a great day.
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    Actually shooting out windows is a risk I wouldn't want to take, personally.
    Detonation films has some glass shatter FX that I've used and look pretty descent if you don't want to deal with shatter maps or trying to make your own CG glass. You can stretch the footage to fit an area and mask anything out that doesn't look right.
    http://detonationfilms.com/Stock_Directory.html
    Scroll down the page until you see the glass shatter link. There are two free ones and more you can purchase and they're not real expensive.
  • EdMichalskiEdMichalski Website User Posts: 39
    Actually shooting out windows is a risk I wouldn't want to take, personally.
    Detonation films has some glass shatter FX that I've used and look pretty descent if you don't want to deal with shatter maps or trying to make your own CG glass. You can stretch the footage to fit an area and mask anything out that doesn't look right.
    http://detonationfilms.com/Stock_Directory.html
    Scroll down the page until you see the glass shatter link. There are two free ones and more you can purchase and they're not real expensive.

Having a window shatter is one thing but having the debris remain on the floor is another.  I wonder if there is a fx template in which you can define the floor plane and have debris fall there?

• EdMichalskiEdMichalski Website User Posts: 39
    Hello guys.  I'm here today because I have this action scene where there are 2 cars driving down the road shooting at each other and I was wondering how I could make the windows break during the shooting scene.  I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me out here.  Thanks a lot! Have a great day.  

I find it very difficult to film a green screen with anything transparent and get it to resolve nicely--assuming you wanted to break some glass then matte it into a film.   But it might look pretty good if you broken heavily tinted glass then brought it into your film. 

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

Having a window shatter is one thing but having the debris remain on the floor is another.  I wonder if there is a fx template in which you can define the floor plane and have debris fall there?

Provided you have to show shattered glass fall to the floor. If I were going to do a CG glass shatter I would want to mix some real elements in so I would go to the junk yard, get an old car window, break it and scatter it around the car floor and/or seat for any camera shots inside the car. But if all you're looking to do is show a glass break from a gun shot and all your going to show is the outside of the car and window, it doesn't matter what happens to the pieces of glass.
    I wouldn't recommend putting actual shattered glass on your car floor/actors. I think it might be a better idea to bake up some sugar glass (indymogul did an episode on this years ago) and then put that down instead. It would look just the same, and although you still risk getting cut, the risk is not nearly as great.
    edited June 2013
    I wouldn't recommend putting actual shattered glass on your car floor/actors. I think it might be a better idea to bake up some sugar glass (indymogul did an episode on this years ago) and then put that down instead. It would look just the same, and although you still risk getting cut, the risk is not nearly as great.

Point well taken. Safety glass isn't as dangerous as the glass from a window in your house though. When I had a window broken out on my car it was easy to vacuum up from the seats and floor- darn vandals!!! I don't know if thin sugar glass would look right. Is there a way to make it thick like car glass and break it apart in small pieces similar to safety glass?
    I couldn't make sugar glass without wanting to eat it. :P 
    Sugar glass, if I'm not mistaken, is baked and therefore it will take the shape of whatever pan you bake it in. It could be as thick or thin as you want/need. As far as how it breaks up, I have no idea.