THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

1858687888991»

Comments

• Vlad_ZanbarboneVlad_Zanbarbone Website User Posts: 55 Just Starting Out

@Triem23 Yes that's what I'm doing for now, but it's not practical if there is multiple media on these blocked tracks

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,882 Enthusiast
    edited August 12

I support the idea where the new tool only moving clips to the right/left of the tool. If moving right then the left edge of the clip should be at the mouse tool position or to the right of it. For left moved the right edge of clips is the determining factor.

edit: For moving left maybe it should still be the left clip edge. When moving right we are creating a gap. Basically safe. Moving left the left edge can conflict with stuff to the left so maybe selection of left edge is better. This all falls back to the OP "fully selected" request.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,039 Ambassador

@NormanPCN @Vlad_Zanbarbone agreed to how Norman suggests modifying the tool. That's a +1, devs! 

• borkiaborkia Website User Posts: 26 Enthusiast

Grid, Guidelines and Snapping !!!

From time to time we all need precise footage and mask positioning (at least I think so). My typical task is placing circle mask in the middle of the frame making it touch the borders of the frame, another
    typical task is making changing subtitles. All this will be much easier if I could place guidelines in the viewport and snap to them!

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,045 Moderator

A few ideas for the HitFilm Installer...

1. A Spec Check. It’s my understanding that there’s already some version of this, but it doesn’t seem to catch everything. OS version and RAM check are easy enough, obviously GPU and CPU check are harder. If something is below spec, a big warning should pop up showing which specs are under and put a disclaimer that “You appear to be under-spec for HitFilm. The program may not work properly. Do you understand?” Then make the user select a checkbox to proceed with the installation

2. A driver check. Users having issues on systems with outdated OS and drivers seem to plague every HitFilm release in recent memory. It should be fairly trivial to test the system OS and GPU driver version against the version used for development. If it’s lower than the version developed for, either try to grab and run the updates for the user, or at least direct them to the right places. If a user doesn’t update the drivers to a newer version, make them accept a disclaimer like above. 

• Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User Posts: 882 Enthusiast

@triforcefx YES +1 on this....this will hopefully reduce the number of users saying my machine is not working.  This is an issue on this forum. 

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,046 Moderator

+100 I know it must be a real deflate to the devs every time they read one of those posts. I have the luxury of not even responding to those anymore while they do not. :(

• McPlayz_McPlayz_ Website User Posts: 2
    edited August 19

markers.

considering how the last time this thread was updated was over a year ago worries me

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 1,508 Staff

@McPlayz_ what do you mean by the last time this thread was updated? This thread gets regular posts, each of which is read internally by multiple developers, and then brought to the attention of other developers. We pay close attention to what the community are asking for, unfortunately some things are not always as easy as they seem, and as a small team we have to spend longer with some things, or prioritize some things.

edited August 19

I wish someone could please explain to me just wtf the big deal is with markers?  I have been editing video, albeit on a personal scale, since Pinnacle Studio 10 in the early 2000s then Hitfilm since 2014 and never used or felt that I just had to have markers.  Sure, the idea is a nice one if doable easily, but, for me, hardly the deal breaker it's made out to be by some.

edited August 19

"I wish someone could please explain to me just wtf the big deal is with markers?"

I will speak for myself and how I used markers. In Vegas FWIW.

Primarily, syncing with Music. As the music is playing you press "M" to drop a marker at spots you will want to do/place edits. (M is the Vegas shortcut to drop a marker) Pressing M does not stop playback. Markers are, or should be, snap points. Can be useful for snapping timeline clips/events or keyframes to a specific time index.

For example, In one slideshow project, at one point, I had 85 markers. e.g. 1 thru 85. One can drop a media file onto the timeline and snap to a marker. Then you can snap the right edge (clip duration) to the next marker.  It would be reasonably easy to drop and size(duration) all 85 media files reasonably quickly snapping to markers. Now for the fancy wiz bang way I did this. I dropped 85 media files all at once and they all got automatically positioned and sized. Wham bam thank you... For example, for media 1, the left edge was snapped to marker 1 and the right edge was snapped to marker 2. Media 2 left edge snapped to marker 2 and right edge to marker 3 and so on. Now stock Vegas does not have this level of automation, but Vegas supports a script engine and there are/were multiple products that provided this automation. I used the least expensive of these and the cost was a whopping $9.95 US. These automation tools are nothing more than compiled scripts with UI. Most offered dozens of other automation tasks (not the $9 one).

Then there are markers with a duration. Vegas calls them regions. Resolve they are just markers with a duration (left and right edge). In Vegas I used regions to segment a timeline (sorta like separate scenes of a video). People has requested way(s) to visually segment a Hitfilm timeline. In editors with sequences you might just use that feature to segment a project. Or use both. Vegas did not have sequences (Vegas 12/13) so I used them to visually segment the timeline. I also used regions to automate timeline zooming of a region. Double click a region. That selects the region. Then one click to zoom and position the timeline such that the region fills the available timeline screen space. In Vegas timeline zoom is precise/perfect. For most other editors one would just have to land on whatever zoom scale increment is close enough without too much zoom.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,039 Ambassador

@tddavis one nice thing about markers in Vegas @NormanPCN didn't mention is typing in the number of a marker (0-99 only) and the playhead jumps to that spot. You can also use an export script to render each region to a separate file, which is nice for batch transcoding. 

Thank you both for explaining.  I didn't know some of the things they are capable of, and can see the purpose more clearly.

edited August 19

"...about markers in Vegas NormanPCN didn't mention is typing in the number of a marker (0-99 only) and the playhead jumps to that spot."

Something I did not know. Quick and dirty goto markers are useful in a general sense. By general I mean other types of applications and the typical workflows they initiate. In my software development environment I had markers which you would drop to allow you to instantly goto somewhere with a keypress. Well...two keypress. Ctrl+G (goto) followed by a number key.

I'm not sure if markers can be named in Vegas but regions can be named. Something I always did. Markers I always kept the default Vegas auto numbering mechanism.

@NormanPCN you can rename markers in Vegas. They'll maintain the number as well. You have to right-click the marker flag. 

edited August 19

One other thing to mention about markers. They don't have to be a one trick pony. Placing a snap point at an arbitrary timeline position. They can open the road to new features. Like the Goto feature @Triem23 mentioned. Or a simple timeline scroll and zoom that I mentioned. On the later, think of all the mousing around one needs to do with Hitfilm to fill your timeline view (zoom and scroll) with a given 1 minute region of a timeline. Versus the opportunity for one or two clicks. Regions can also automate In/Out point setup.

• SpokidSpokid Website User Posts: 10

I've previously posted about wanting more text animation options (especially kerning effects), and that still stands, but I also think it would be cool to add a datamoshing effect, so that there's no need for third party programs (unless I've totally missed it and one already exists within Hitfilm Pro...)

• greenfire2000greenfire2000 Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Changing the 'Lightsword' effect so that the blade extension slider goes more than 100% or even negative.

I think this would be helpful so that you could make the blade longer (if the prop you are tracking is a little short). The negative length option would be used if you tracked just a hilt without a physical blade. It would make the blade effect a lot more visually smooth/stable in shots where the blade is igniting.

• kaleb_jcoxkaleb_jcox Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

I'd love to see the option to be able to dock floating panels into each other (like within the main UI of HitFilms)

Also, floating panels don't currently "remember" where they were last located on a screen, that would be a welcome addition as having to move them around all the time whenever I open/start a new project is ever so slightly annoying.

• JavertValbarrJavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 287 Staff
    edited August 26

Hi everyone!

We've launched our exciting new Forum revamp, and have included categories for Feature Requests for HitFilm, Ignite, and Imerge.

We'll be going through and adding in some of the most popular/recent requests ourselves and assigning them to the person who wrote the comment, but if you would like to add yours in the new section yourself feel free! Please follow the naming convention of [FEATURE] or [ENHANCEMENT] in the title and provide details about how the feature can be used, so that the devs can implement it properly.

Thank you for all your requests here- this thread will now be closed.

This discussion has been closed.