Getting Started with a jpeg?

I want to start my project with a jpeg and put some simple blur on it, to remove after say 3 seconds. To open it in HF I right click on the file in the timeline in Vegas Pro 12 and select open in HF. Except it doesn't. HF opens but with the jpeg greyed out, so I have to import it. Ok, so now I've got the jpeg in HF and drag it to the timeline. Except it doesn't. When I drag it to the timeline nothing happens, I can't even get it as far as the timeline. But what I have noticed before I release the mouse button is that the timeline tool tip says the start time is 00:00:00 and the end time is 00:00:00 so presumably I'm not doing something quite right here? 
Are there any Getting Started movies that cover working with still images?
Thanks in advance? 

Comments

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,445 Staff
    I want to start my project with a jpeg and put some simple blur on it, to remove after say 3 seconds. To open it in HF I right click on the file in the timeline in Vegas Pro 12 and select open in HF. Except it doesn't. HF opens but with the jpeg greyed out, so I have to import it. Ok, so now I've got the jpeg in HF and drag it to the timeline. Except it doesn't. When I drag it to the timeline nothing happens, I can't even get it as far as the timeline. But what I have noticed before I release the mouse button is that the timeline tool tip says the start time is 00:00:00 and the end time is 00:00:00 so presumably I'm not doing something quite right here? 
    Are there any Getting Started movies that cover working with still images?
    Thanks in advance? 

Hi Chris,
    The Vegas integration is not designed to work with Images only Footage, if you wish to use images, start HitFilm first, import your JPEG, make the adjustments, save & import the HitFilm Project into Vegas as if it was Media. That will work fine.
    Thanks,
    Ady

• Chris CarsonChris Carson Website User Posts: 6
    Got it. Thank you. 
  • RedHatRedHat Website User Posts: 75
    Hi, I am new to HF & a V12 user, so this workflow enhancment would be a great addtion to future HF.  I hope it is possible.
  • Chris CarsonChris Carson Website User Posts: 6
    I doubt it RedHat. The workflow you’re talking about might work with footage, but it certainly doesn’t work with still images. No matter how many work-arounds  I try,  and you name it I’ve tried it,   I just cannot get HF to work satisfactorily with Jpegs at all. I’ve now got to point where I’ve given up trying altogether. As far as I’m concerned HF just will not work with still images whatsoever. So I don’t use it at all anymore. 
  • AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,445 Staff
    I doubt it RedHat. The workflow you’re talking about might work with footage, but it certainly doesn’t work with still images. No matter how many work-arounds  I try,  and you name it I’ve tried it,   I just cannot get HF to work satisfactorily with Jpegs at all. I’ve now got to point where I’ve given up trying altogether. As far as I’m concerned HF just will not work with still images whatsoever. So I don’t use it at all anymore. 

Hi Chris,
    What are the exact issues you are having with jpegs? Does it affect all jpegs?
    Please tell me in as much detail as possible & where appropriate upload any problematic jpegs here so we can take a look at it in the Office.
    Thanks,
    Ady

• RedHatRedHat Website User Posts: 75
    edited June 2013
    It is a matter of workflow as an editor.  
    Pics are chosen & cut to music in the editor.  Once the timing of the pics are set to the music the special effects are brought in.  Having to start up HF & then search for the picture, load & then save it as another copy & then search out that copy & bring it into Vegas is very laborious.  As of now I have a script that brings jpegs into photoshop directly from Vegas, so it seems to me that future HF can have the feature to bring in jpegs directly to Vegas.
    HF is awesome & the creators are wonderful.  Thank you for making such sweet software so accessible in everyway.
  • enricbernedaenricberneda Website User Posts: 1
    Please, I agree with RedHat!
    I WORK EXCLUSIVELLY with picture montages, specially JPEG's... it's my speciallity, a kind of work of art animating pictures, and it's been a great deception to me to see that HitFilm Ultimate 2 hasn't the integration with Sony Vegas Pro 12, to edit JPEG's. It will break my workflow.  
    I've bought now the Sony Vegas Pro Suite (Pro Vegas & HitFilm Ultimate), and I'm very decieved. Please, try to add this feature in next version or update. I think HF should only have to render the picture as Sony Vegas plays it (same video properties, let's say a MPEG2 or MP4...) and then will be able to edit it.
    Please.... and thanks in advance. 8-|
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador
    It would be cool to directly take stills to Hitfilm directly from, Vegas into Hitfilm, yes.
    I also do tons of slideshows: However, I have a couple of workarounds for Vegas that aren't tedious.
    First, to go off-Hitfilm, if you are a Vegas Editor, period, you must look at one or more of Vegasaur, Ultimate S Pro, and Excalibur for Vegas Pro. These are all script-based plug-ins with hundreds of features. All three overlap, all three have specific tools that make slideshows easier, all three things have unique features, all three have different interfaces, and all three have full-featured trials. (I primarily use Ultimate S, but use Vegasaur for a couple of things Ultimate S has) After that, get a contour shuttle pro, and learn to program it for Vegas and Hitfilm.
    Sorry for the "commercial," but some workarounds work via Ultimate S.
    1) Do I need Hitfilm? For most slideshows, no. Only if I need flares, particle, or true 3D. (But, if I don't need anything more than rectangles moving, unilluminated, over a video layer, I stay in Vegas and use Ultimate S or Scattershot.)
    2) If I only need a few images, I will cut them in Hitfilm and drop the project file into Vegas as media. since I am cutting to music, I can figure out how long my shots need to be (with header and footer).
    3) If everything is being processed in Hitfilm then I can do a quick timing cut, use Ultimate S to generate regions around my cuts (timing reference), then use Ultimate S to designate the Hitfilm projects as proxy media in the Vegas timeline.