Effect Help... PLEASE

I'm working on a short Street Fighter II parody, and I'm having trouble with an essential effect that I need to accomplish. What I'm trying to do is Guile's Sonic Boom. I've tried a few methods but I can't seem to get any of them to work decently.
Method 1: I tried to have a single point move across the frame with a particle anchored to it, but off center. I then rotated the point on the vertical axis and the particle then rotates around the point as it moves across the frame. The problem is that When I add a motion blur to give it a streaky look, there is no originating "ball" for the streak to be following. If I duplicate the layer and turn off the motion blur, the blurred particle and the unblurred particle won't line up. Arrrg....
Method 2: I tried anchoring a particle emitter offset to a horizontally moving point rotating on it's vertical axis (like the other method) but then tried setting the speed from emitter to 0 and turning up the particles per sec to make a trail similar to the light streaks tutorial. I then used the lifetime settings to decrease the particle size as it died. It has the right general shape, but I can't get a smooth looking streak, no matter how high I have the particles set.
I'd be happy with a solid ball with a "energy trail" rotating around a single point because I could render that as it's own layer and move it separately but I'm at a loss and can't figure out what to do.
Thanks in advance to any and all who can help me out.
Cheers,
Matt
P.S. Here's the look that I'm going for... circa 1991.
[attachment=582:sonic boom.png]

Comments

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    edited June 2013
    I'm not sure what's going wrong with method 2, turning the particles per second up should give you a smooth streak. Anyways I just tried my hands at creating that effect:
    2013-06-02_1830.png
    You can take a look at the project file here if you want: http://www.rrpictureproductions.com/files/Street%20Fighter.hfp
  • PhilWessonPhilWesson Website User Posts: 241 Enthusiast
    Why not have two particle systems per blade? One could be the 'ball' section with the particles following the emitter 100%, and another being the 'tail' section that flows out from that same point?
  • Spamspam79Spamspam79 Website User Posts: 5
    I know that it's been a while since I posted this, but thakns for chiming in. I do appreciate it. My school schedule hasn't left me any time to do the fun stuff recently. :(
    But, Robin, what was the particle count that you used? I only have Hitfilm Ultimate, not 2, so it won't open your project file.
    Phil, that approach was one of the first that I tried, but whenever I added any motion blur, the two particles would separate, and I had gaps that I couldn't control.
    Once I get some omre time, I'll put up a couple of renders so you can see what I've tried.
    Thanks again!
    Matt
  • Spamspam79Spamspam79 Website User Posts: 5
    OK, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but I got on and tried something similar to what I had done in option #2 above, and it worked fine, I rendered what  made in about 3 minutes. this is just a test, but it looks ok as a starting point, now to get the glow and look just right.
    Cheers,
    Matt
    http://youtu.be/K8ZLwGE_87M